All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
To anyone who suffers from an anxiety/depression disorder..
      #315154 - 09/17/07 08:51 AM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

Within the last couple of months I was diagnosed with obsessive compulsive personality disorder and a panic disorder. I finally got to see a Dr. about it and in the end he wanted only to put me on medication. No offence to anyone who is on medication at this point in time but I didn't want to do it and wanted a different option. I didn't want to medicate my issues I wanted to deal with them. I wanted cognitive therapy and that particular Dr. couldn't help me with that.

In the end I went back to my referal person and she recommended this book. *The feel good handbook by Dr. David Burns* It is the best book I could have ever found and now things just make sense more. I am learning ways to change my negative/distorted thinking patterns and it's helping a great deal. I'm only on chapter five and have already experienced a slight difference. It makes it so you understand why the thoughts are destructive and how to deal with them and face them head on..

I just wanted to share this with anyone that was looking for another option or additional help. This book helps also in the sense that I can read it on my own time it's not horribly expensive and I can fit it into my busy life..

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: To anyone who suffers from an anxiety/depression disorder.. new
      #315156 - 09/17/07 09:16 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Thanks for the suggestion. I may have to look into that.

If you are an introvert, I also suggest a book called the Introvert Advantage by Marti Olsen Laney. The book helped me understand it's okay to be so introverted and gave strategies for coping when you're surrounded by extroverts.

Edited by Snorkie (09/17/07 09:50 AM)

Re: To anyone who suffers from an anxiety/depression disorder.. new
      #315208 - 09/18/07 07:28 AM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

ill have to pick up the introvert book because i am 100% introverted and I am looked down on because of it. In fact, my last job fired me because they said they needed someone extroverted.

I have this book, snorkie! new
      #315246 - 09/18/07 06:21 PM
caitlineb

Reged: 07/01/07
Loc: bay area, CA

My mom gave it to me because she knows I am introverted and wanted me to feel better about being me! Yeah, it's not a bad thing.

--------------------
"I have no patience for lactose. And I won't stand for it." -Jerry Seinfeld

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3351 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1750

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review