All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Does IBS run in families?
      #309775 - 06/25/07 11:37 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

I was just curious to know if anyone has or had family members who also have IBS. As far as I know I'm the only one who has actually been diagnosed with it, but I remember my grandmother always having "bowel" problems and my mom, too.

I know my family contributes to my IBS as far as stress goes. One of the best sayings I ever heard was this....and oh how true it is...."My mother is a travel agent for guilt trips."

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Does IBS run in families? new
      #309802 - 06/25/07 03:57 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

To my knowledge, I'm the only person in my family who has been diagnosed, but several other female family members have typical IBS symptoms. None of them will have it checked out, though.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#309832 - 06/25/07 06:27 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Both my mom and sister have IBS but mine is the worst out of the three of us
My Aunt had colitis as a child and still has trouble with D. Immodium usually helps her though. My grandmom who's no longer with us had terrible trouble with her bowels too. So, yes, it does run in the family. BTW these people mentioned are all on my mom's side of the family. I don't believe anyone from my dad's side has it.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#309839 - 06/25/07 07:28 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

My older sister is IBS-D, but she manages hers differently than me.

My Dad and the women in his family have a history of "stomach problems." My Mom's side of the family has cast iron stomachs, though.

#309841 - 06/25/07 07:40 PM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

My mother and brother have IBS and my grandfather had IBS when he was alive. I have it the worst out of everyone though, and I am the only one that manages through Heathers diet. My mom and brother handle it by eating yogurt and eating LOTS of insoluble fiber

#309963 - 06/27/07 09:09 AM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

My dad had ibs although he wasn't completly diagnosed with it persay. He was told when he was young that he was allergic to chocolate but that he grew out of it over time. In actuality he just learned how to deal with getting ill all the time and spent about 1-2 hours in the bathroom a day after suppers.

My mom also had ibs but she was more triggered by stress not foods. My one brother also has ibs and can't handle certain foods depending on how much stress is in his life and even my husband as it. Although with him he doesn't care if he gets sick or not as apparently he doesn't have the mass amounts of pain that I tend to get. He will eat a big bowl of hot wings followed by a big bowl of ice cream, get quite ill, then go back and finish the meal.. I can't do that haha..

#310028 - 06/27/07 06:25 PM
meimei

Reged: 12/02/06
Loc: Chicago

My sister, my mom, and my great grandmother all have/had it. My great gram lived to be 94 and had a stomach everday of her life. My oldest son (12) is beginning to have problems too. IBS really stinks.

#310041 - 06/28/07 01:59 AM
abby6126

Reged: 04/09/07
Loc: Towson MD

My doctor told me that it was hereditary. No one in my immediate family has ibs but apparently but grandfather always had stomach issues when he was alive.

--------------------
Abby-IBS-C, Lactose Intolerant, fructose sensitive

#310136 - 06/29/07 05:53 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

I have IBS-D, properly diagnosed. My sister more than likely has IBS-C, though she has not had that many tests done (x-ray et.c. though) and my cousin has IBS-C too and she has been properly diagnosed too. I'm not sure about my cousin but for me the problems started when I was about 18 and then gradually got worse until it really hit me in 2005, when I was 26. My sister has been a C since she was a kid, though I am not sure she got cramps back then.

Our parents don't have any problems though and neither does my oldest sister. I am thinking though it could be related to stress, being a performance oriented person and having a tendency to skip meals or not eat properly. I think both my sister and I have been like that a bit, while our other sister has always made it a point to eat regularly and also spend as much time as necessary in the bathroom. Maybe that might have something to do with it too.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5533 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2108

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review