All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
could this be MSG?
      #307793 - 05/22/07 12:29 PM
RnbwConnection78

Reged: 05/05/03
Loc: Bensalem, PA (right outside of Philadelphia)

Long time, no talk I know! The meds for my fibro put my IBS into remission so I've been doing really really well. Up until now, less than 2 weeks from my wedding ::head desk::

Anyway, I am sure if any of you are sensitive to MSG or not but I am in some rough shape right about now. Sunday night my family ordered Chinese. I normally get sweet and sour chicken and white rice which is a pretty safe choice for me (maybe not for others). I decided that I wanted lo mein instead. I ate it and within 2 hours I was in the bathroom dying for hours. It was wicked. I swore I had a SV. It hit too fast to be food poisoning but I figured there are SV's going around and I normally don;'t get THAT bad from an IBS attack.

Fast forward to today, Tuesday. I felt fine all day. I was successfully eating yesterday, no problems. I ate lo mein for lunch...2 heaping bowls of it. Within an hour I was back int he bathroom with watery D again... a ton of it.. oddly though, my stomach isn't really hurting. I don't feel sick at all. It just hit me suddenly and it was so odd! Could this just be a bad reaction to MSG? I called the restaurant and they said they do have MSG in their soy sauce (something I never usually have because sweet and sour stuff has none on it)... I am putting 2 and 2 together and realized that I get like this after hibachi, too. I mean I get D... I have IBS... but nothing watery and awful like this.

I hope you're all doing well!

Teresa

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: could this be MSG? new
      #307805 - 05/22/07 03:37 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

yes it can be.. I can get like that...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: MSG (Maybe TMI) new
      #307819 - 05/22/07 05:36 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Your Sunday sounds like my Saturday! We went for Chinese for my birthday and I had Lo Mein, I usually have Chow Mein. My tum didn't rumble at all, but I had D, watery, searing bum D about 3 times and then I was fine. No cramping, shakes, sweats like my usual attacks. My grandma and my mom called me Sunday to ask if my tum behaved (I lied, of course, I was fine!) because they noticed how oily the Lo Mein was. Unusual for that particular restaurant, but all the same. And we know they don't use MSG there.

Maybe it was MSG in the soy sauce (which I'll check out, thanks!) but it could have been the sesame oil in the noodles!

Hope your tum is better! And next time, have a S & S chicken ball for me! I'll stick with Chow Mein and rice!

BTW, all the best for the wedding!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Re: could this be MSG? new
      #307901 - 05/23/07 09:29 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

It could be, but tell ya what... lo mein KILLS me, every time. Sometimes I swear it's the oiliest thing on the menu. So I'd say it's one or the other... or a double whammy, maybe.

On a different note entirely, congrats and best wishes for the big day!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3311 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 878

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review