All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Menopause and ...22!!! *Venting*
      #307340 - 05/15/07 12:51 PM
bdcanfield

Reged: 03/02/05
Loc: Carlisle, Pa USA

I am 22 and am going through MENOPAUSE!!!! You see I was diagnosed with IBS March 17 2005 and on December 20, 2006 I was diagnosed with SEVERE endometriosis!!! I am only 22 (recently turned) my doctor told me after the laproscope that I had the WORST CASE SHE HAS EVER SEEN! and that I have it EVERYWHERE! Since January I have been getting Lupron depot shots once a month and With that all the hot flashes, mood swings, etc... I am coming up on my last shot of the first cycle, which my doc reccomended at least 2 cycles. I will be graduating from college with my BA in Public History on Sunday and I am not sure what this summer holds for me. However I will be going to graduate school for my masters in the fall. During this process I have lost my boyfriend, most of my friends (not due to the IBS but due to me moving away), and people label me as always sick. Since I either have IBS attacks or menopausal reactions, or some sort of throat thing (tonsilitis 3 times this year alone:( ). With the Lupron I have discovered that I could eat more foods and little bit of dairy. My doctor put me on Celexa to help with the hot flashes and my dad was not happy when he found out about the anti-depressants (due to a bad reaction to a different type). I am sorry to vent but I am just really scared of what the future will hold for me. I know this is really shallow but I am afraid of not finding a guy who will put up with all my health issues (my recent ex was great about it but then rubbed it in my face well I called it quits). I guess I just need reassurance and to talk to someone going through the same things. Not to mention my family is getting really tried of eating "beth's food"! please HELP!

--------------------
Smile and the world smiles back

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Menopause and ...22!!! *Venting* new
      #307372 - 05/15/07 05:38 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Hey Beth,

Vent away!! That's why we're here! While I can't sympathize with your endo situation, I sympathize with the IBS! My family doesn't eat "cassandra food" they just make sure there is something I can eat, and I used to have to cook for myself most of the time at home. Now with my DH I make mostly safe foods for dinner anyways and then I'll make him pork chops, steak, etc while I have chicken breast. He doesn't mind as much as my dad did while I was at home. I think it bothered him I was sick, but he made it like it was my fault that I couldn't eat something. His loss, not mine.

I also sympathize with the "you're always sick" line. It sucks. My family and bosses aren't bad, but some of my friends are. They just don't understand and probably never will. Yeah, we have health problems at a young age (I turned 31 today), but we're still human! And it's not like it is our choice!

Anyways, I wish you well, good luck at graduation, and keep your chin up!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#307374 - 05/15/07 06:09 PM
bdcanfield

Reged: 03/02/05
Loc: Carlisle, Pa USA

Thank you for the kind words. Hang in there.

--------------------
Smile and the world smiles back

#307395 - 05/16/07 08:34 AM
Rio

Reged: 11/28/06

You obviously have tremendous inner strength to do all that you are doing despite your health issues. I can empathise with you, as I have IBS and also suspected endometriosis - it's being investigated, but that's another story. Also, I always have to prepare special food for myself and something else for the family - and I get tired of the funny looks if I can only eat plain jacket potato in a restaurant, or have to write a long letter about all my food 'intolerances' when I stay away from home.

I just want to encourage you to continue to do exactly what you are doing - living a normal, fulfilled life and not allowing your health to stop you doing what you want. To achieve as much as you have already proves that you are a strong and courageous person. I really hope that you will meet a man who will love you for who you are - you deserve it.

I know how you feel... new
      #307397 - 05/16/07 09:17 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

Hang in there! Keep working towards your goals and don't let anyone or anything get in your way!

I was diagnosed with IBS-D about 11 years ago, but have dealt with it for most of my life. I was raised on a high fat, everything fried, meat and potatoes diet...and I'm sure that didn't help things. The doctor told my mom that I just had a "nervous stomach". I just ate what everyone else in my family ate and paid the price. If I didn't want certain foods, I was told to quit being picky and eat a little bit of everything on the supper table. Not that my parents were bad parents, they weren't, that's just the way they were raised and so they passed that on to my brother and I. They didn't understand.

As I got older and lived on my own, I was able to eat more of the things that "agreed" with me and my tummy....although I still cooked like my mom cooked because that was what I was raised on....I didn't realize I had IBS-D until my late 20's. Now when I go to my parents house or my In-Laws...everyone makes sure there is something at the meal that I can eat. I appreciate it, but I still wish that it didn't have to be that way...that I could just eat what everyone else does so that the attention isn't put on me because of what I can and can't eat. But, that's the way it is....otherwise I pay for it. And I do sometimes just go ahead and eat what everyone else is eating just to get the focus off me and feel normal...until I pay for it later.

I was able to go away to college, get a degree and obtain a good job regardless of having IBS-D....it wasn't easy at times...but I did it. And so can you! Keep up the good work! We somehow just do what we need to do.

I also know how you feel with the endometreosis. I was diagnosed with it back in September last year after battling irregular periods, pain, etc. A mass the size of a tennis ball was found on my right ovary and a hysterectomy was required. Once inside, the doctor/surgeon found more cysts on my tubes and right ovary as well as lots of endometreosis. Everything was "stuck down" due to the endometreosis. So everything had to come out. Luckily there was no cancer. I felt great for the first three months after surgery, and then started battling hormone imbalance issues. So now I am trying to get all the hormones balanced with bioidentical compounded hormone creams. It's a long tough road at times, but it can be done. So, I feel for you on the menopause issues, too.

I just wanted you to know that I know how you feel. Hang in there! Things will get better. Stay strong!

#307763 - 05/22/07 12:04 AM
Natalia82

Reged: 03/22/07
Loc: Holland

I have to say i find you really brave and strong. I too have very severe IBS and i still dont have my bachelor and im almost 25. So doing your degree without any delay is fantastic and let nobody tell you otherwise.

The endo most be terrible, i cant imagine. But i am sure you will find a way to make it work.

Good luck and *hug*

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3632 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1144

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review