All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Retroverted uterus
      #307315 - 05/15/07 08:51 AM
Rio

Reged: 11/28/06

I have had my long awaited appointment with the gynae consultant today. I have a lot of pelvic pain and symptoms of endometriosis and wanted to get it checked out. I am not really surprised at the outcome, but still a little disappointed. He has sent me for a scan to see if I have any endometrial cysts (I am fairly sure I don't, as I don't have ovary pain as such). He is reluctant to do a laparoscopy - the only definite way to diagnose endo - due to the major bowel surgery I had 17 years ago, and risk of worsening the resulting (painful) adhesions. Again, an 'off the record' diagnosis of adhesions, but that's no real help with dealing with daily chronic pain aggravated by IBS.

Once he had heard about the bowel surgery, he didn't really want to talk about the possibility of endo. However, during the pelvic exam, he told me that I had a retroverted uterus (which I had suspected as sex can be very painful!). Anyway, back home I consulted 'Dr Google' and it seems that a retroverted uterus can be a symptom of endo. I have had pelvic exams before (a long time ago) and although I was told that I had a very small cervix(!) there was no mention of a retroverted uterus. So I am assuming that I was not born this way, therefore endo could have caused it.

Does anyone here have this condition? And, if so, is it related to endo?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Retroverted uterus new
      #307320 - 05/15/07 09:07 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I was told that I was "backwards" in my 20s, with no explanation attached. My GP now just says that this is normal anatomic variation and not to get bothered about it.

This being said...I suspect that I may have had endo as a teen. I had heavy week-long periods every friggin' month starting at age 11, and really horrid cramps. I started on hormonal birth control at age 22, and that helped a huge amount (now I'm on NuvaRing with no breaks, and that helped even more!). I never got a Dx, though, and now I'm old enough that my doc is focusing on mammograms...

--AC

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1551 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 533

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review