Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
how do i...
      #303998 - 04/04/07 04:16 PM
oldestofseven

Reged: 12/30/06
Loc: tiny almost unheard of town in the middle of Va

delete my account??

--------------------
Adrianna, IBS-D, stable since May 2007, living life to the fullest because of it!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: how do i... new
      #304012 - 04/04/07 06:27 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Please don't go, Adrianna. You are such a sweet person. I really appreciate your posts. I'm not sure why you want to leave, but if you are just tired of posting and really want your account closed, I think you could email Heather at Help@HelpForIBS.com. But I hope you change your mind, sweetie.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#304014 - 04/04/07 07:30 PM
ECM

Reged: 08/23/06
Loc: Jasper, GA

Adriana,
I don't know what happened to upset you so much, but you have made alot of friends on this board, and we would be sad to see you leave in anger. I have enjoyed reading your post, and a lot of the questions have been ones that I would have asked, but you beat me to them. We need people who ask questions. I hope you think twice about leaving the boards.

Snookie

--------------------
Snookie, IBS-C

#304016 - 04/04/07 07:57 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I too read your posts and think that you are very mature for a 16 year old (I think that's how old you are.) I have learned things from your advice to others and I am twice your age. I read the thread that upset you but don't take it personally. Everyone here comes from such varying backgrounds, religions, ethnicities, locations, etc...and we all just have different beliefs. We're bound to disagree sometimes on something that may hit an emotional trigger. I don't know you well, but I know that the common thread here is that we are all in this IBS thing together and for that we should agree to disagree and then support each other when it matters. If you have found this site to be helpful, then think about staying and also know that you are helping others in the meantime which is something you can feel good about.

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#304025 - 04/05/07 03:21 AM
seggy

Reged: 04/24/06
Loc: North East of England, UK

hey I don't exactly know what happened to make you want to leave, if it's what you really want then keep in touch you're such a sweet girl. my e-mail is ostradonk@hotmail.com or I'm also on myspace (www.myspace.com/ostradonk1)
whatever you decide,
take care and Godbless
xxx

#304031 - 04/05/07 05:01 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Adrianna, please reconsider leaving. Just take a break if you need one. You are very intellegent and insiteful! My email is in my profile.

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#304040 - 04/05/07 06:31 AM
oldestofseven

I understand that there will be disagreements (wow that looks really wrong, sorry for spelling mistakes lol), I just don't understand why Heather keeps deleting MY posts. What about that whole debate on milk,,, there were things that went completely against her diet, but did she delete any posts? No, she let it continue until she finally locked the thread. It's like she's biased against anyone Catholic or Pro-life and won't allow any posts that go against HER beliefs. That's why I'm leaving. I HAVE found this site useful, and because of that I don't feel like I need to be here anymore except to keep in touch with all of you. I have been stable since January,, I haven't had a d attack in months, I follow my diet religiously and have my life back. I will still browse the topics, but I'm not going to post anymore. I will not support a board run by an obvious pro-choice and anti-catholic woman,, I'm sorry. And I don't mean to offend,,, I'm just saying what I feel. If any of you have myspace, feel free to add me: www.myspace.com/lovinamarine3907

I'd love to keep in touch with you all, and maybe sometime in the future I will start posting again, but right now, I'm going to take a break.

Take care and God bless, and best of luck to all of you,

--------------------
Adrianna, IBS-D, stable since May 2007, living life to the fullest because of it!

#304041 - 04/05/07 06:43 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Do you have an email address? I see your my space is private. I would really love to talk to you..

I can't answer the question as to why your posts were deleted, but I applaud and respect you for stating your opinion and for standing up for what you believe in.

God's blessings on you, Adrianna.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#304042 - 04/05/07 06:44 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I think the reason why Heather leaves posts about milk (I know the one you're talking about) is because it is people giving their experiences with the food (not necessarily opinions). Posting about religious or pro-life beliefs is not the reason she has these message boards. I have my own opinions about these topics but I will not post about them. Anything related to food, yes I will post about.

I do hope you reconsider staying on the boards. Heather is not singling you out and only deleting your posts, she has deleted others in the past that brought up subjects not related to diet or IBS. I don't think she has deleted any posts related to food though, so the milk one stays.

I hope you stick around. A lot of people on the boards need encouragement that the diet actually works and to give them hope that they will feel better. That's something that you can always offer by posting on here.

--------------------
Kat

#304089 - 04/05/07 11:44 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I, too, hope you'll reconsider leaving. I've enjoyed your posts and your energy.

As for controversial topics, I have to agree with K2: controversy about food and IBS are appropriate fights for Diet Board; controversy about social issues and religion are not. There are a goodly number of hot-button topics that do nothing but get people on one side - or both sides - angry and I think they're best avoided on the Diet Board.

It would be nice to think that we could discuss them on the Living Room Board but they make everybody so mad I don't think that's realistic either. Someone - or everyone - just gets their feelings hurt or their dander up and leaves in a huff. It's very sad and the Boards are diminished by each person who leaves.

(As a side note, I'm at a loss to explain this phenomenon. I can remember 40 years ago lying awake during adult parties listening to my mother, my aunts and uncles, my grandparents, and lots of their friends having fierce disagreements about everything under the sun. They were all still friends at the end of the evening. I think it's terrible that we seem to have lost that.)

There are discussion boards on the Internet that thrive on all kinds of controversial topics so perhaps those would be areas where you could bring up the issues that are so important to you. If you haven't already, you might check out The Anchoress. I disagree with lots of what she says but she's bright, interesting, often funny, and usually quite civil - all rare qualities in social/political bloggers of any stripe.

As for Heather, I do truly believe that if I started posting as you have about controversial topics but on the other side from you, she'd delete my posts, too. So please stick around and lend a helping hand.

Take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#304092 - 04/05/07 12:17 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Honestly? The boards exist to serve a very specific purpose, and it's Heather's right to delete posts that don't conform to that purpose. They're also populated by a very diverse group of people, most of whom respect everyone else's beliefs. I seriously doubt Heather is out to get you by deleting your posts - she's just trying to keep the focus of the board on diet issues, which is what it's here for. (Also, she doesn't read the boards constantly, so it's entirely possible that other people complained about/were offended by the posts in question. I don't know - I missed whatever went down!)

That said, it sounds like this board isn't a good fit for you and the things you'd like to talk about. I'm glad you're feeling better, and got useful information from the site, and I hope you find a "hangout" that's more your speed.

Good luck!

#304107 - 04/05/07 01:10 PM
oldestofseven

I understand everything you all are saying. But see, the thing is, I don't post things to start arguments. The last post I did that got deleted, the main poster just asked if bc was ok when your older, so all I said was, Im not sure about older, but [these] are the risks when you are younger,,, thats it. didnt mean to start an argument. But then someone wrote back about my post saying that it was false and innapropriate for me to post stuff like that, and that she wanted to see my sources because it was completely untrue. I'm not stupid, I don't post false statements,,, but certain people (and I wont say who) write back saying that my claims are outragious and false and that by posting that I am being immature and stuff like that. THAT is what makes me mad,,, I'm just trying to help, just like everyone else,, but if what I say goes against what other people believe, they say I'm stating false and outragious facts.

--------------------

#304123 - 04/05/07 02:43 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I went back and found the thread about birth control - your post is gone but I gather you posted statistics about the dangers of birth control. I also found the thread about abortion where you posted your source and got dinged for bias.

The sad fact is that these days there seems to be at least one scientific study to back up any belief anyone wants to hold on any subject you can think of. A group that is strongly pro or anti *anything* is going to cite studies and statistics that back its position and ignore, downplay, or demonize studies and statistics that seem to support the opposition's position. If you want to cite scientific studies and statistics, you really need to use peer-reviewed work from recognized scientific journals, not those that are showcased on an advocacy site. If you can't find those kinds of studies then you need to make a darn good case for why they can't be found and why the studies you're citing should still be paid attention to.

The other problem with citing statistics and studies is that it leads to data wars. You cite your study, someone else cites her study, and you're off and running. And to what purpose? You believe what you believe, she believes what she believes. Neither of you is going to convince the other. And none of it has anything to do with IBS.

In the case of hot-button topics, I think it's more appropriate to express a personal conviction like "For both religious and medical reasons, I'm uncomfortable with how casual people are about taking birth control . Please do some research and talk to your doctor about the possible risks." You've made your point and given fair warning about something you perceive as dangerous without inviting everyone to a "my data is better than your data" brouhaha and without getting people frothing at the mouth.

Finally, you say "I don't post false statements". You don't post statements you believe are false. That doesn't mean other people will agree those statements are true. And, again, it is that inability to even agree on what is a "fact" much less what those facts mean that makes discussion of these hot-button topics on these Boards a pointless exercise.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#304126 - 04/05/07 02:59 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I did say that your information was false, but I did NOT call you immature. (Tip: don't embellish when there's a "paper" trail ) Sand stated it perfectly: If you're going to post something as FACT, then back it up with a reputable source. That's all I was asking for. If it's simply your OPINION (for religious reasons or whatever), that's fine, but state it that way. Sand gave a great example of how you COULD have worded your post so that you weren't being misleading.

A statement can always been proven false, but no one can say that your opinion is false. If you truly believed you were posting facts, then it shouldn't have been too difficult to produce a source to back it up.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#304130 - 04/05/07 04:26 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I don't know what risks you posted, but there sure are many health risks to taking BC pills. It's there on the little folded up paper in the box, and the companies post it on the web. It's true many people take it without adverse effects, but there have been people who have had adverse affects.

#304138 - 04/05/07 06:26 PM
oldestofseven

Well, to make this discussion a little lighter (hopefully lol),, I DID search for something that would back up what I said,, but couldn't find anything on a somewhat secular site,,, anything I found was on site that would be called "biased",, ie. pro-life, anti-contraception sites. I didn't think the argument was worth putting that on and risking an even further argument. And I didn't mean this time I was called immature, it was in the abortion topic,, which btw I'm still upset about lol. Because again, the poster asked what effect the abortion would have on her IBS, and I merely posted the facts on the effects abortion has on HEALTHY women, so naturally it would have the same, if not worse effect on women with health problems. But that argument has already ended, so lets forget I said that,,,,,

--------------------

#304143 - 04/05/07 07:30 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

You're certianly not immature for your opinions on abortion. Truth is, with any medical procedure there are health risks and that's why they make you sign waivers, so the doctors are not held accountable when things go wrong.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3943 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3035

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review