Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
need a hobby
      #303153 - 03/26/07 10:55 AM
seggy

Reged: 04/24/06
Loc: North East of England, UK

what does everyone enjoy doing?
I spend a lot of time on the internet and feel like I need something else to occupy my mind. It'd be cool to meet some new friends too. Can anyone suggest any social hobbies that'd be fun and relaxing too.
The obvious one is to join the gym or a fitness club but I'm pretty unfit and the thought of doing something overly physical with ibs is quite scary for me. I think in the back of my mind I don't want to be like huffing and puffing and feeling sick in a class.
Anyone got any ideas?
thanks x

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: need a hobby new
      #303155 - 03/26/07 11:03 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

A water aerobics class at your local YMCA is a good option to start your way to better physical fitness!

I enjoy scrapbooking and many of the local stores hold classes so you can meet other people as well. I also bead, I make necklaces out of swarovski crystal and sterling silver, check some of your local bead stores for classes!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#303170 - 03/26/07 11:43 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm probably the least social person you'll ever meet, so I'm not the person to ask about that angle of it. But I have a lot of hobbies, so...

Creative pursuits always make good hobbies. I knit, crochet, sew, embroider, do beadwork, am a woodworker, and have tried just about every other creative thing that exists, including ones that I found out I'm not good at (painting! yikes!). Knitting is a great one, because it's so popular right now, and knitting groups are popping up all over the place. If there's a yarn store near you, that would be a good place to start. But like Michelle mentioned, there's groups for other crafty things, too - a bigger craft store, like a Michael's or an ACMoore, might be helpful there.

My fair-weather hobby is hiking. Obviously, it's not something I can do between November and May up here, but in the summer, I spend a lot of time in the local state park. Even if I'm not feeling up to hiking, I take my camera - photography is a GREAT hobby to get into, too.

Another summer hobby: yard sales. Maybe that doesn't seem like a hobby, but it ties in with my collecting of '50s and '60s kitsch, so there it is.

What else...

Learning to play guitar - ever so slowly, and I kinda stink at it, but whatever!

Cooking! It's definitely not just a necessity for me - I love it. It can also be very social; if you live in a more populated area than I do, it's pretty easy to hook up with a supper club. The Cooking Light message boards would be a great place to start for that, since you'll find people who are more geared towards the way we eat.

I had to giggle a little at your thought that joining a gym would be obvious. That would *never* be obvious to me... that's probably the last thing I'd do for fun! LOL!

#303177 - 03/26/07 12:36 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I love shell craft. And I like to find beat up, old, wooden whatevers and sand them down and paint them. I love to read and go for bike rides with the hubby. And come up with new craft projects for the kiddos I take care of.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#303190 - 03/26/07 02:48 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I was looking for the same sort of thing a year ago. I love animals (especially kitties), so I have been doing a lot of volunteer work at a local animal shelter. I spend a few hours there on weekends, playing with the kitties, helping with what needs to be done. I also help out with special events and fundraisers in addition to fostering. I've met some wonderful, like-minded people! And it's great to know that I'm making a difference for some homeless pets.

I'm not a very "social" person, so I like staying at home and reading or watching movies, too.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#303201 - 03/26/07 04:53 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I second the aquabics - I go at least once a week - even if I'm feeling kinda crummy - I always feel better later.

I do cross-stitch, which is kinda solitary, but my mom stitches too so we trade hints and patterns etc. And I teach her stuff because I've been stitching longer than she has.

I ride a motorcycle in the fair months too, so there is my summer social interaction. We have a regular meeting spot and folks we ride with.

Join a group or volunteer doing something that interests you. Don't force yourself to fit in, because if it's meant to be, it's up to you, not everyone else!

Good Luck!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#303231 - 03/27/07 03:17 AM
seggy

Reged: 04/24/06
Loc: North East of England, UK

thanks everyone! lol casey I think it's obvious to me cos my mam works at the local leisure centre. Think I might try yoga, just need to motivate myself now.
I used to do aquabics when my mum took the class, it was fun I think now my fear is I'd be making the wrong kind of bubbles in the water lol I suppose I could always just jump around and splash a bit if I need to lol
thanks for suggestions
xxx

#303232 - 03/27/07 04:16 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Ahhh, that makes sense, then!

Yoga is *wonderful*. I've never taken a class (just do it at home), but I'd jump on it if I had the chance. The more you do it, the more hooked on it you'll get.

animal rescue and crafts.. new
      #303301 - 03/27/07 02:15 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I walk with friends, but I also am very active in the sugar glider rescue movement nationwide.. including a recent fostering of 12 gliders, with 5 in pouch out that we are now working on getting to their original mom again as she can handle them back...

I also knit, sew, paint, etc... and COOK

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5287 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1351

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review