All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
painful and incomplete colonoscopy
      #301767 - 03/08/07 06:01 AM
maggie1

Reged: 03/08/07

I have had several incomplete colonoscopies. Is there anyone who has had this experience and has found a way to have a successul complete colonoscopy? I have a history of colon cancer in my family and am frustrated that I have not been able to have a colonoscopy - they become so painful that the doctor always stops because he says he could perforate my colon. The Barium Enema doesnt seem as definitive a test. Thanks for any suggestions

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: painful and incomplete colonoscopy new
      #301779 - 03/08/07 07:39 AM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

You should be completely sedated for a colonoscopy. Have them knock you out. When I had mine done, they used Demerol, and I don't remember a thing. Except for a couple seconds when I started to wake up, I was out whole time. My waking was quickly put to an end by a nurse with her finger on the IV drip to send more Demerol coursing through my veins.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#301780 - 03/08/07 08:05 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Has your GI ever suggested a capsule scope? My grandma couldn't have a complete colonoscopy because of advanced diverticulitis. The capsule worked great though and without and discomfort.

All the best!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#301982 - 03/10/07 07:30 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Yep I'm with hohoyumyum. I was totally sedated too. In fact because I must have been complaining so much they gave me more demerol. In fact, they gave me too much and I was sick from it and I was still on a demerol high the next morning. I could not have imagined not having drugs for a colonoscopy. No wonder they can't finish yours. That's just terrible. They have a new drug now that apparently puts you out and then they have another to reverse the sedating effects. A couple people I have talked to that had one recently said they felt wonderful after having the procedure.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#302021 - 03/11/07 05:13 PM
wlm

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: WA

I was totally sedated (demerol)----the best way to go!
wlm

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1361 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 985

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review