All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Odd little question
      #301460 - 03/05/07 01:11 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I have about a zillion wire coat hangers from shirts and dresses that have come back from the cleaners. I don't use very many of them but I hate to just throw them away and have them end up in the landfill. The cleaner doesn't want to take them back. Anyone have any idea who or what might be able to use them?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Odd little question new
      #301462 - 03/05/07 01:26 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

What about a thrift shop or a community rummage/tag/garage sale? My church uses lots for their ginormous rummage sale.

#301468 - 03/05/07 01:42 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

hmm maybe a school for art projects? otherwise I was going to say a thrift store like Salvation Army or a church for the coat closet?

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#301470 - 03/05/07 01:58 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I third the vote for churches and thrift stores. Also, check with your local recycling facility - some of them will take oddball things like that.

#301475 - 03/05/07 02:52 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

If you have enough of them you can take them to a scrap metal recycler too. They pay by the weight. Call first to make sure they accept them.
I'm surprised your cleaner won't take them back - mine does with appreciation - usually they will give a coupon for a free blouse / pants if you drop off a bundle.

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#301480 - 03/05/07 03:09 PM
oldestofseven

Reged: 12/30/06
Loc: tiny almost unheard of town in the middle of Va

I also think probably a thrift shop, like Goodwill or Salvation Army would take them,, or the scrap metal recycler too, my boss took them a washing machine and got quite a bit for it. LOL . Otherwise, just ask some of your friends if they need them... we're always running out of coat hangers lol

--------------------
Adrianna, IBS-D, stable since May 2007, living life to the fullest because of it!

#301493 - 03/05/07 03:51 PM
wondersha

Reged: 02/09/07
Loc: Vancouver B.C

another idea would be highschools or organizations that put on productions that have lots of costumes..the store I work at always donates ours to local schools to help organize the costumes they have

#301499 - 03/05/07 05:30 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

In addition to church rummage sales (good idea), you could contact the coordinators for a children's consignment sale in your area. We have tons of them every spring and fall, and they always use a lot of wire hangers. Here's a list of a few in your area...Kids' Consignment Sales.

You might also offer them on Freecycle, if there's a group in your area (Freecycle). Freecycle is great for all kinds of things like this that you don't want to keep and don't want to add to the landfill. I've even gotten a free toddler bed, combo VCR/DVD player, Compaq computer monitor, and I've gotten rid of things like an old mattress set, shutters, crib mattress, blankets, etc. It's pretty cool... You just give stuff away for free and ask for things that people offer.

Thanks, everyone. (m) new
      #301543 - 03/06/07 09:07 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I've started putting out some feelers. I emailed one of the children's sales JulieE directed me to. If that one isn't interested I'll try another.

I also took a look at FreeCycle. Wow! That is so cool. It's amazing how much stuff looks almost irresistible when it's free - even if I don't need it and don't have room for it!

I'll let you know where the hangers end up. You guys are fonts of information.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1745 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1491

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review