All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Who is on Lorazapam and what can you tell me about it? Help
      #299911 - 02/15/07 02:06 PM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

Hi, The SSRI i am on is not agreeing with me - gi problem with my ucler and the dr. suggested lorazapam for general anxiety. Who is on lorazapam and can you tell me about good experiences? Does it affect your "C"? Thanks,Debbie IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Who is on Lorazapam and what can you tell me about it? Help new
      #299912 - 02/15/07 02:19 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I believe lorazepam is the generic for valium. I am on xanax which is very similar. C is listed as a side effect but I don't seem to have an issue with it. It will probably make you tired. It is an anti anxiety/tranquiler not an anti depressant.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Michelle new
      #299919 - 02/15/07 03:10 PM
feelinggood

Do you take it everyday? Does the tiredness effect wear off after you take it regularly? I tried an SSRI and it plays with my GI system to much - my ulcer was acting up. Thanks - Debbie

Re: Lorazepam new
      #299947 - 02/15/07 07:43 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Lorazepam is actually generic for Ativan (I think diazepam is generic for Valium). Anyway, they both are benzodiazepenes, which are sedatives used for anxiety. I think Buspar is much better for long term management of general anxiety; lorazepam is good to use once in a while, like for a panic attack or during the first couple of weeks while you're waiting for your AD or Buspar to work. I take Buspar and have had little to no side effects with it (some dizziness the first week and vivid dreams). Buspar doesn't cause sedation or lead to dependency.

I also take lorazepam, but only as needed for panic attacks or in anticipation of being in a situation that will probably lead to a panic attack. I also used to take it for really bad IBS attacks. But I really don't like the side effects, which - for me - include unsteadiness, sedation, sort of a drunken feeling. I use it anywhere from 2 - 8 times a month (1 mg doses). You can get dependent/addicted to lorazepam, so your doctor will probably put you on it for a short amount of time or if it's for a longer period, you'll have to come off of it slowly under ar doctor's supervision.

Good luck with whatever med you decide to go with!

Re: One more thing... new
      #299952 - 02/15/07 07:55 PM
lalala

I think I mentioned this already on the IBS Diet board, but I also take 10 mg of amitriptyline (Elavil, a tricyclic AD) at night. It's not a high enough dose to affect my mood, but it does help me sleep and it helps with pain management. Elavil is usually used for IBS or fibro or other chronic conditions that involve pain.

Also, none of these medications negatively affect my GI tract.

#299973 - 02/16/07 08:28 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I used to take it several times a day everyday. It really depends on where my mind is at. After I lost the twins, I was taking 5mg 4 times a day, minimum.

Now, I typically just take one 5mg pill at bedtime to help me calm down and let the sleeping pills work. If something happens and I get wound up, than I will certainly take one during the day but yes, they will make me tired still. But they really don't seem to affect my gi tract, if anything it helps it as when I am tense or upset my guts are worse.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: One more thing...-Maria new
      #299977 - 02/16/07 09:34 AM
feelinggood

Maria - is the buspar taken so that it is absorbed through the stomach? I have a ulcer and the SSRI was affecting it - i guess the raised seritonin affects the GI tract - what is the idea behind the Buspar? How does it work? the elavil - does it help with pain management and anxiety or depression or just pain? Thank you -= i am so hard to find a med that works. Debbie IBS-C

Re: One more thing...-Maria new
      #299980 - 02/16/07 10:17 AM
lalala

I think you have to take a high dose of Elavil for it to help with depression/anxiety, and at a higher dose you may be more likely to experience significant weight gain and sedation. You should probably ask your doctor about that one. Low doses of Elavil are usually used for pain management.

Buspar doesn't affect the GI tract, but I don't know much about it raising seratonin levels. I think that if you take it after a meal, you should be fine. Here's some more info: Buspar/Buspirone.

#299981 - 02/16/07 10:20 AM
lalala

Lorazepam does help calm my GI tract too. It's really good when I have a really bad attack with a lot of spasming and pain.

Quote:

I used to take it several times a day everyday. It really depends on where my mind is at.

I totally agree with Michele on this. I think the dose depends on the person and what they're dealing with.

Feelinggood - some links new
      #299982 - 02/16/07 10:23 AM
lalala

Here are some previous discussions and links about Buspar.

Buspar

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3867 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2667

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review