All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Teachers Out There
      #299334 - 02/08/07 10:42 AM
StephInSD

Reged: 02/08/07
Loc: Southern California

Any other teachers out there? I teach American Literature and history in San Diego. How do you guys deal with your IBS during the work day? Also how do you avoid being late for work when you have an "episode" in the morning. I have called in sick twice this week because for whatever reason I am out of whack this week. I love teaching but sometimes the stress of it aggrevates my IBS.

--------------------
Teaching, living and hanging out in San Diego!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Teachers Out There new
      #299360 - 02/08/07 01:34 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

Yup, there are actually several of us on here. I'm IBS-C so I don't have to run out of the class but sometimes I get stuck in the bathroom at bad times...trying to hurry. I have had to take some days due to bad cramping and of course there are those days that are difficult because I'm uncomfortable or am dealing with gas. But I've been on the diet for almost a year now and am feeling much better. I found that learning to deal with my stress was the best thing I did. 2nd was the diet.

Good luck to you.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#299366 - 02/08/07 02:12 PM
StephInSD

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I think that controlling the stress is the key for me. I definitley notice a change in my body when I am under stress. It is hard though, becasue stress in teaching comes in cycles. So I feel the worst at the hardest times. When I can't afford to feel bad, of course.

--------------------

#299372 - 02/08/07 03:09 PM
scigal

Reged: 06/20/06
Loc: Texas

Hey there!! Teacher here, too. I teach 5th grade science and I have found that keeping my anxiety under control and following this diet are the key. I take medications for anxiety that are a huge help. I rarely have a bathroom issue at school-my symptoms have always been worse at night. I have missed days from work if I have had a really bad night but so far have not missed any this school year.
My coworkers know of my condition, so I can give them the signal if I have to run to the bathroom. Knowing that also reduces my anxiety. Hope your tum calms down soon, it is stressful to have to miss work and make sure you have things for a sub, I know it is a pain.

Best of luck,
Christy

#299378 - 02/08/07 04:03 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Honestly, my method of coping is to schedule my classes for my good times of the day (not early morning, not across meal times). The worst was when I was scheduled an 8 am section. There were a lot of mornings where I felt gross. In that case I had to make sure and wake up very early to give my system a chance to get going. I know that not everybody has the luxury of scheduling their classes. When I was feeling sick, I just told my TA's I might have to leave, but I always managed to make it through with sheer force of will. I wish I had better advice. I'll keep reading to see if anybody makes good suggestions that I can steal!

#299385 - 02/08/07 06:20 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Hi, Steph!

It sounds like you and I have a lot in common. I teach English in LA County, and yes, stress can play a huge role. Here's what has worked for me in no particular order:

1. I did the hypnotherapy CDs. They really helped me learn to relax and let go, and I think I internalize my stress a lot less now. I cringe when I think back on my first few years teaching (I'm now in my 8th), because first I gave myself stress-induced allergies, and then when outside stressors (death in the family) got added in, I found myself with IBS! Seriously, I think the CDs are a worthwhile investment.
2. If mornings are a problem for you, request 8:00 a.m. (first period) prep. I didn't get it this year, but I had it for about three years in a row, and it was heaven! I could eat my breakfast at a leisurely pace and even if I started cramping, it was no big deal because I had no students! This year I have 9 a.m. prep, so if my tummy is feeling at all iffy, I just hold off on eating my breakfast until then.
3. In connection with that, if mornings are rough for you, wake and eat as late as possible. I shower at night so I can sleep an extra 30 minutes in the morning, and I don't eat my oatmeal with acacia until I've been awake at least an hour. That minimizes the chance of disaster. Alternatively, if your attacks tend to be long, drawn-out affairs, allow more time in the morning so you won't get stressed about being late to work!
4. Don't be afraid to use an Immodium now and then. I have never really relied on Immodium, but sometimes the tummy just will not cooperate. If I'm just feeling crampy and like it's going to be a bad belly day, I'll take 1/2 an Immodium and just stop things in their tracks--without overmedicating and constipating myself. If it's the middle of class, I'll tell kids I "have a headache" so they think it's Tylenol when I reach for the bottle. Because I take Immodium so rarely (maybe three times a month), I can usually stop the cramping without even heading to the loo.
5. Eat very safely during the school day. Insoluble fiber is important, but I save that for after school hours! During the school day, my fruits tend to be unsweetened applesauce and a banana.
6. Tell one or both of your neighboring teachers. When my symptoms were really bad, I'd often open my neighbor's door and give her "the look," and she'd babysit my class while I went to the bathroom. If the kids are working independently, they often won't even notice that you've headed out until you return.

That's all I can think of for now. If you have any questions, just let me know!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Re: Oh, yeah, baby. new
      #299406 - 02/09/07 07:45 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I was extreme. I taught high school, and then in a 7 8 9 school. It was so wild. They had more suspensions in that school than in the rest of the entire board combined. It was so stressful. Plus, I couldn't leave all of my classes for an attack. Some were good, and I could slip out for a few minutes, but not all. It was awful. I lived on rice till I got home from school. I felt weak, and hazy and didn't have much energy. It sucked.
1. Get your admin on board. Go in and explain your situation. Now is not a time to be bashful.
2. I had a sympathetic IBS teacher 2 doors down from me in resource. If I was having an attack, I just had to peek my head in on my way to the bathroom and he would nip into my class and supervise for a few minutes (fortunately my attacks don't last long).
3. See if there is a librarian, resource teacher, teachers assistant, anyone available to nip in and cover for you. Make sure you know how much you appreciate this (a small thank you gift at the end of the year goes a long way)
4. Write your lesson out on the blackboard for first period in the morning before you leave the day before. Therefore, if you're going to be late, another teacher/admin/whoever can fill in while your students get started without you. Always set it up with an independent activity that the kids can take care of themselves. IE reading, whatever.

I found with these simple safety nets in place, it removed tons of my anxiety. I was able to eat healthier during the day, and worry less about attacks. If you're prone to morning attacks, try settling down with a peppermint tea at bedtime, and get up extra early. Good chance to implement yoga, meditation, exercise, something just for you that will also help your stress level and IBS.
Let us know how it's going!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#299436 - 02/09/07 03:20 PM
StephInSD

Thank you so much for the info!!! I am lucky that my whole team is in the same area as I am. So I can easily tell them that I have to run to the bathrrom. ANd they all know about my belly problems. It actually makes for interesting team meeting topics! :-) THey always ask how I am. I am very lucky. This week though, I am not sure what is going on. Just feeling sick. I was out twice this week. My students wanted to know if I was pregnant!! I am not, well at least the test said I am not. I just got the Diet Kit #2 in the mail with the acacia fiber and peepermint pills. Have you guys used these?

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1434 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1492

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review