All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Weddings
      #297674 - 01/22/07 04:00 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

How many people here got married while they had IBS? How did you deal with everything and the stress with out getting any attacks?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I did! new
      #297676 - 01/22/07 04:16 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

We eloped and I took Imodium. No worries about planning, guests, menus, anything. We told his parents and off we went. So the attendance list looked something like this:

Us
His parents
His brother

My family is a big old mess w/ lots of drama so we didn't even tell them until afterwards.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: Weddings new
      #297678 - 01/22/07 04:22 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

LUCKY for me.... I did not have any attacks the week of my wedding or the day/night of.... but I did finally have one about day 6 into our honeymoon....and that was more because of drinking and eating lots of IBS no-no's like meat, cheese, & crackers.... creamy sauces on pasta in restaurants... which all COULD have been prevented but, hey.... I was on my honeymoon! hehehe

I think the reason for no attacks was because for the MOST part... I personally was in control of everything.... or let me rephrase that.... I stayed in touch with everyone and got everything done in advance....then then again.... I am a control freak...hehehe no, not really.... I'm just very organized and like to plan. The day before was a little stressful... but I had lots of help and then we called it an early night....... when I'm happy and all is good in MY world.... I tend to not have attacks.... TRY to get good nights sleep the day before.........

Good luck...

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#297679 - 01/22/07 04:24 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I've been married *twice* with IBS. I don't have any good tips, really, because from what I've understood from other people's experiences, I was very much NOT a normal bride-to-be... meaning, I simply chose in the beginning not to get stressed, and I didn't. Even when the wedding cake showed up frozen solid and completely inedible. I actually *laughed* about it.

As far as the wedding day went, I took preventative imodium, both times, and I was perfectly fine.

The stress-relieving suggestions for dealing with IBS on a daily basis would be especially good to start during wedding planning: meditation, yoga, the hypno, exercise, whatever helps. Even going for a short, but brisk, walk is going to help burn off some nervous energy.

That's all I can really think of at the moment...

You just have to keep reminding yourself that the marriage is the important part, not the wedding.
And that nobody notices the little details that you're going to be inclined to fuss over.
And any family crap will happen whether you worry about it or not, so you might as well not worry about it.
And honestly, stuff WILL go wrong, but in the big picture, it's nothing. Truly.

(Tell you what... the guest of mine that took home 3 frozen cheesecakes sure was tickled! LOL)

#297694 - 01/22/07 07:38 PM
Gracie

Thanks for all your replies. Whenever I get butterflies in my stomach, I get an IBS attack. I'll have to work on staying calm.

I'm not the most super organized, but... new
      #297701 - 01/23/07 05:09 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I did fine, I planned and made allthe major decisions well in advance.. had all the fights with my parents and when they tried to change things (and did) so I wound up without some of the pics because dad moved picture taking time, and meal serving time from when I wanted them to be.. and then changed when our first dance was to the same time the hot food was served... I just laughed it off and said I was going to enjoy my day no matter what.. despite the ice and snow, people not making it due to weather, etc... and I did... and my sister saved me and Bill hot food by having them wait to serve our table until AFTER the first dance, but served my fathers table first so he got the cold stuff..

All in all- we look back adn laugh.. I did make sure my meal was IBS safe, and even the cake was to a degree (except the icing), and I only tasted the wines served at teh toasts, and drank water the rest of the time.. and I made sure to take some hyocyamine beforehand.. and had immodium with me in case- it wasn't needed...

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#297764 - 01/23/07 04:05 PM
JLL24

Reged: 09/23/04

Hi,

I have ulcerative colitis and I'm getting married on July 7th. We've been engaged for 2 yrs (I went to teacher's college last year so we decided to get married in 2007). I've done as much planning as possible ahead of time so everything is pretty much done.

The day of I plan to be on immodium to avoid an upset tummy. That's the one thing I'm worried about feeling sick/having an attack the day of the wedding.

Jenn

Re: I'm not the most super organized, but... new
      #297793 - 01/23/07 06:28 PM
Gracie

I wouldn't be happy with those changes. What's hyocyamine?

#297794 - 01/23/07 06:29 PM
Gracie

I hope your wedding turns out great!

Re: Thanks, you too Grace :) n/t new
      #297797 - 01/23/07 06:34 PM
JLL24

Reged: 09/23/04

Re: I did! new
      #297808 - 01/23/07 07:22 PM
dan the redneck man

Reged: 07/20/04
Loc: Houghton; MI

JEn and I are kind of doing this. We have a very limited guest list and a very laided back wedding ceromony planned.

The best way to go. There was no stress for us, just a weekend of fun. n/t new
      #297816 - 01/23/07 08:51 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

hyocyamine.. new
      #298000 - 01/25/07 05:58 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

is a generic- in my case I take the version like Nulev as needed.. and sometimes go weeks without it, but that day I made sure to take it as a preventative- its an antispasmodic...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#298096 - 01/25/07 05:40 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Ha Ha Ha! I've had ibs over 14 year and if you were to have seen me a year ago, 6 months before my wedding, I was the definition of stressed! My MOH and best man dropped out, dad wasn't coming, cousins were in Russia and out west and they couldn't get flights, etc. And I was losing weight like crazy and my dress maker was worried the dress would be too big.
We had a very small ceremony and sit down dinner. 19 of us total.
Up until a few days before the wedding I was panicking that something else would not go right. A week before my wedding my dad called and said he would give me away. I think that was the point in which I told myself that whatever happens happens. And that was it. I wasn't stressing on the details any further.
The little rehearsal I had went smoothly and then three days later was our big day. I was the "calmest bride" the make-up artist had ever seen. I knew that everything that could go wrong on the day already had and there was nothing I could do about it, so I didn't let myself stress - well I did a little when the minister was 40 minutes late!
I hadn't slept the night before, but I ate a sensible SF lunch, lots of peppermint tea and I made it through the whole day without an attack. I was utterly exhausted by 9 pm. But it was the best day of my life and I wouldn't have had it any other way.
That's a lot of info in a nutshell! If you have any questions, I'm happy to help with wedding stuff! I love to help with other people's weddings!!

Best of luck!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#298156 - 01/26/07 11:52 AM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

Thanx for posting this question Gracie.
As I am currently planning my wedding, I'm doing some extra yoga, every now& then. Other than that, I'm just planning ahead. We started with planning the honeymon first, then got the guest list done, & so on.
Also, I'm learnign to just try to chill, mentally, keep the main things the main things. Like for example, we don't have much money, so instead of ordering the invitations we really wanted (toooo much money) we just picked up a pack of printer ready invitations from Wal- Mart. ($30). I just realize, that it's gonna get thrown out anyway. We're having a small reception, 50 people. I'm contacting alot of my friends, who are more than willing to help out. One will do my hair for free, another will do my flowers for free.

Don't be afraid to ask for help. I've found more people are willing to help out if you just ask them!!
Hope this helps!

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

#298417 - 01/29/07 02:56 PM
Gracie

Thanks for everyone's replies, they have been helpful.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1996 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3114

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review