All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How can I gain weight?
      #297340 - 01/19/07 04:45 PM
smilesrp2

Reged: 08/28/06

I can't seem to gain weight :confused: as the safe things I eat don't have fat calories and I just can't put weight on. when I was firt diagnosed, I weighed about 135 and now I am down to 125 and just can't put it back on. I go for about 9-10 days without diarrhea, then I'll have it.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How can I gain weight? new
      #297430 - 01/20/07 04:59 PM
dan the redneck man

Reged: 07/20/04
Loc: Houghton; MI

i'm dealing with the same thing you are. I'm 6'4", at the lowest point in my IBS battle I weighed 145 lbs. I'm now up to about 165 though my doctor would like me to be up around 190 based on my skeletal structure. Also found out at my last doctors appointment that my bones have not flaired yet and I could still grow taller. I stopped growing when IBS hit in my late teens. Most of the weight I gained back is muscle mass, my body fat % is extremely low. My tactic has been to eat a high protein diet, balanced with carbs; and maintain a rigorous exersize routine through various hobbies, mainly XC skiing, mountain biking, running and swimming. The way to gain muslce mass is through exersize, the way to gain fat is to eat more calories than you burn.

#297508 - 01/21/07 10:40 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

This topic comes up a lot on the diet board too, so you can do a search. I've gone from 40lbs overweight to 15lbs underweight. I know the struggle. Buying clothes is next to impossible without shopping in the junior section and I really don't want jeans with flowers painted on them! I am trying to incorporate more protein - soy, peanut butter, chicken and shellfish. I know that everything I eat is low fat, but I'm adding a few "risky" foods after SF - ie Ritz crackers - and so far I'm doing alright - although I do not recommend eating anything unless you are sure of it for yourself.
For a comparison to 6'4 Dan - I'm 5'1" and now 116 lbs. I was at my heaviest, just after university, over 172 lbs. I stopped weighing myself because I was depressed about my weight. My GI wants me at 130 so I have some safe room in case of a major flare. I dropped from over 140 last Feb to 116 now. Not good.

I wish you luck!! And search the board - there are a lot of suggestions!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#297511 - 01/21/07 10:51 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I'm also trying to gain weight. I'm trying to do it without eating 'bad' foods. I'm sticking to safe stuff, which is very low-fat, so I'm just trying to eat a lot of it. I'm trying to eat as much fat as I can with each meal, but it's not much.

For another comparison, I'm 5'2, 92lbs (Sooo sick of being skinny!ugh). The most I've ever weighed is 105 when I was eating hamburgers, cheesy pasta dishes and drinking lots of milk. My IBS was miserable during this time and soon enough I lost a lot of weight and hardly ate anything cuz my stomach always hurt. (I didn't know I had IBS at the time..). 90lbs is pretty much my lowest, and I'd love to get back to 105 safely. Ideally I'd like to be 110-115 but I'll take my time with that.

I highly suggest getting IBS under control first, and then focusing on gaining weight.

--------------------
Kat

#297512 - 01/21/07 11:20 AM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

Im with Kat on this one as I try eat safe foods, but lots of it. Even when Im not really hungry, I pour a bowl of FF sourdough pretzels with some mustard and much on them. My favorite calorie booster is angel food cake. When I want to gain some weight, I eat lots and lots of angel food cake
I am currently 5'5 and weigh 110 pounds. My goal weight is 120. The most I ever weighed was 130 pounds, but that was before I had IBS. My lowest weight was 90 pounds, when I was at my sickest.

#298640 - 02/01/07 07:00 AM
oldestofseven

Reged: 12/30/06
Loc: tiny almost unheard of town in the middle of Va

I'm the same way, I'm 5'2 at roughly 92-94 lbs, and I've been trying to gain weight for over 2 years. But I was eating lots of high-fat foods, milkshakes from McDonalds, icecream every day ( I work at an Ice Cream Shoppe), and the like, so naturally it bothered my IBS greatly ( I didn't know I had IBS though) and I ended up basically starving myself because I was afraid to eat anything. I lost alot of weight, about 6 lbs, which I CANNOT afford to lose lol. The most I have ever weighed is 101 lbs, and the lowest is 91 or 92. So, after I found this site and learned I had IBS, I started Heather's Diet, did some searching online, and am now hopefully on my way to gaining weight. I read that every 3500 calories equals 1 pound, so to gain 1 pound a week you have to add 500 calories to your daily menu. I have found that 500 calories isn't really all that hard to add, just eat like a PBJ sandwich on white or potato bread, and have a fruit smoothie sometime during the day, maybe a cup of dry cereal.

--------------------
Adrianna, IBS-D, stable since May 2007, living life to the fullest because of it!

Another comparison new
      #298645 - 02/01/07 08:28 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

I am 5'5 and used to weigh 116 pounds but am now down to 108 since starting on Heather's diet... I lost weight first when the IBS got bad, but then gained most of it again as my IBS got better as I was still eating "normal" food then and lots of sweets, chocolate et.c. But then I started following the EFI diet during the summer and have dropped in weight again. I don't want to lose more weight now though and I am trying my best to eat as much as possible in a safe way.

It's kind of funny though, in all these diet pill or exercise equipment ads where they say, "have you tried everything, and nothing has worked for you?"... I'm like, hmmm, losing weight doesn't seem to hard to me. The EFI sure works for that...

I want to gain weight too, but as long as you're not dangerously underweight I agree with K2 that you should first focus on getting the IBS under control and then you can start focusing on putting the weight back on.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#298765 - 02/02/07 04:49 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Ughhhhhhh struggle with it all my life! I'm 5 feet and maybe 90lbs. The only time I was my healthiest was when I was pregnant and I weighed 120lbs!

I don't know what to tell you. I'm the poster child for being able to eat any and all junk foods(except dairy)and I can not gain weight. I feel my IBS really prevents me from it too. Since you are limited with IBS it's very hard to eat things that I think would help to put weight on.
I have no magical answers for you I'm sorry!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 585 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1669

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review