Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
A question for the ladies...
      #296497 - 01/14/07 09:55 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with clomid (for infertility)? And if so, what it was? I did do a search and found a little info. I am on my first round right now (cd 14). I was just curious if others had success with it and what kind of side effects you had. DH and I really want to have a baby. I'm hoping this helps. I see the Dr. on the 17th to find out if the first round of treatment was successful.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Michele new
      #296498 - 01/14/07 09:57 AM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Michele is our resident expert on all things fertility, as she experienced many different treatments, including (I'm pretty sure) Clomid.

I don't think she's usually online on the weekends, but she'll reply to your post when she's back at work.

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

I Speak from Experiance new
      #296501 - 01/14/07 10:34 AM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

I used clomid when I was having trouble getting pregnant. Basicly my overies took a vacation. I was getting one or two periods a year. It took a few dose adjustments but I did develope a six week cycle and after about three cycles I did get pregnat and I have an adorable son as a result. Just a heads up. I found my clomid periods to be a bit heavier than my normal ones and I did experience some heavy cramps when I ovulated (which was actualy a blessing in disquise because I knew EXACLTY when I was ovulating. I hope this information helps. Good luck!

Re: I Speak from Experiance new
      #296506 - 01/14/07 11:17 AM
Mary_V

Thanks!! It's always good to hear positive stuff. Did you have any major side effects? So far mine have been pretty minimal, but I'm nervous about starting ovulation...hopefully in a couple days!! I hope the pills work.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

Re: Resident fertility expert here! new
      #296610 - 01/15/07 09:13 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hello! I went thought a couple years of fertility issues. I was a relatively healthy gal who had been on the pill for 18 years. At the age of 33, we decided to get pregnant. I went off the pill, got a period right away. The next cycle I was pregnant. I lost that one at 5.5 weeks. I got pregnant again right away but lost that baby at 7 weeks. D & C results showed chromosomally healthy girl.

At that point, I went thought a crap load of tests and everything was fine. I got pregnant about 6 months later only to start hemorrhaging at 8 weeks and had an emergency d&c. Again, chromosomally normal female.

Started seeing a reproductive endocrinologist after that. More testing, again everything ok. Thought maybe my hormones were a quart low so we started clomid and did an ultrasound on cd 13 and everyday after until my estrogen reached a certain point and my eggs were ready, than we did an hcg injection and timed intercourse. Than, I would use progesterone suppositories until pregnancy or period.

The clomid made me cranky, gave me hot flashes and headaches. I could deal with it but it wasn't fun. After three cycles of this we changed to femera with the same protocol. I didn't seem to respond as well to that so we went to the injections. I would give myself a shot of gonatropins in the stomach everyday, have my blood drawn everyday to check estrogen levels and vaginal ultrasounds to check egg production. Than the hcg injection and timed intercourse. We did that for two cycles and I finally got pregnant.

I had identical twins girls. Just a note that identical twins are not from the fertility drugs as they came from the same egg that split. I made it to 13 weeks before I lost them.

They believe I may have some sort of autoimmune disease, most likely rheumatoid arthritis. However, now they are saying I have neuropathy issues as well. No one can explain the miscarriages.

Anyways, sorry to make you read all that, I hope I didn't scare you. Clomid is relatively easy to tolerate but you may want to warn your hubby you might be moody and don't be surprised if you get some hot flashes! As a side note, I found that the clomid made me very dry down there. You have to be super careful if you use a lubricate as most of them will impede or even kill the sperm. If you find this to be an issue, check this out http://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com/pre-seed.html it works very well. I ordered all sorts of stuff from them. Their pregnancy's tests are cheap and work well! If you want to talk but don't feel comfortable talking about this in public, my email is in my profile!

My best advice is try not to obsesse about getting pregnant. I got sucked into it and it consumed me for years. I was peeing on sticks everyday and if you asked me what day it was, I would tell you what cd I was on! My life revoled around blood tests and ultrasounds and the size of my egg follicles, etc, etc, etc. Try to relax and enjoy yourself! Good luck baby making!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#296628 - 01/15/07 09:59 AM
Mary_V

Thanks Michele! I kee up to date on most of the stuff going on with you. I wish the doctors could help you more. At least you hopefully have a correct diagnosis this time.

Today is cd 15 of my first round of clomid. Until today the side effects hadn't been very bad. I have had headaches and some metallic taste in my mouth. But I haven't had hot flashes or major mood swings. This morning I had awful pain in my whole abdomen. I hope that means that things are working! It has subsided now. I go in for my ultrasound on the 17th. I'm trying not to worry too much about it. I don't expect to get pregnant right away...although it would be nice Right now I'm just hoping that the clomid is effective so we can at least start trying! It's frustrating not even being able to try...well we could, but I know nothing would happen...no ovulation. So, I'm hoping the clomid will at least get that going. I never need high doses of medication, so hopefully 50 mg will do the trick. Now I just have to wait through two more days :P That's the hardest part...waiting.

--------------------
~Mary

#296650 - 01/15/07 10:50 AM
michele

The abdominal pain you felt today was most likely ovulation!! Why are they waiting until the 17th to do the ultrasound, there shouldn't be much to see than, your eggs should have hatched already! Are they trying to measure your lining? Are you actually trying to get pregnant this month or are they just testing things?

--------------------

#296652 - 01/15/07 11:03 AM
Mary_V

If there is an egg then we will be trying!! If there are multiple eggs, then we will not...not ready to go for twins or triplets If there is nothing, then we won't either. If there is not one egg, then I'm sure the Dr. will adjust the dosage/treatment. If there is, we'll see if things work this time. If not we'll try again next month.

I don't know why the Dr. said the 17th. That's just the timeline he is going by I guess. I took clomid cd 5-9. And then ultrasound on cd 17, to see if we have the green light I go in at 9 am on Wed. Less then 48 hours!!!

--------------------
~Mary

#296681 - 01/15/07 02:03 PM
michele

My advice, grab hubby and pounce on him tonight!!! If you are having abdominal pains and you are at cd 15, I would bet money you are ovulating. By the 17th, the egg(s) should have hatched! You may see the collapsed follicle. I am not a doctor but my life revolved around ovulation for three years. The sperm can live for a couple of days under the right circumstances but the egg's life is very short lived! I say go for it tonight, it certainly won't hurt anything!

The chance of twins on 50mg clomid is slight. I wouldn't worry about it too much! I routinely had multiple eggs, one month I had 17 follicles!!!!! Obviously, that cycle was cancelled and that was on a high dose of the gonatropins!! As I mentioned the twins I did carry for almost 3.5 months were identical and not a result of the hormones! I'm excited for you!! Please keep me posted!

--------------------

thanks...another question new
      #296751 - 01/16/07 04:27 AM
Mary_V

Hmmm. I think I'll call the Dr. today to ask if I should come in before tomorrow. We don't want to try if there are multiple eggs, but I certainly don't want to miss our chances!! Thanks for the advice. I'm quite small, and it doesn't take much medication to affect me. So, since this is my first round I'm not counting anything out, even if it is only 50 mg. About the only pill I can take w/o noticing major side effects is Tylenol. Now I have to wait another hour until the Dr. office opens. I'm already sick of waiting. I'll keep you posted. I also see my colon surgeon for my 3rd post-op check up today. Hopefully it will be my last one! I was a slow healer, but I think I'm doing pretty good now. As long as I can keep taking miralax I'm great! I hope that's ok for pregnancy. I seem to remember you posting that you took it while pregnant? I know it's a class c drug, but it stays in your intestines. And they give it to young children. So, it seems harmless. This is going to be a long day at work :P

--------------------
~Mary

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4271 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5473

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review