All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How do you know when it's time to find a new job?
      #295444 - 01/06/07 03:48 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I've been at my current place of employment for nearly 5 years - the longest I've worked anywhere or lived in the same town for that matter.

Anyway for various, I'm starting to wonder if it's time for a new challenge or if I'm just having "reverse growing pains." I was "the boss" for about 6 months and now that the real new boss has been hired, I'm having a hard time getting back into my old role. Granted, it's only been 5 days, but I'm beginning to wonder if I should start job hunting.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How do you know when it's time to find a new job? new
      #295452 - 01/06/07 05:13 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Oh I hear ya!! I've been doing the same for the last few months. I have even been applying for some jobs at the government level, just in case.

For me, there are a few things I look at:
Do I enjoy what I am doing?
Do I like being at work or do I dread the fact every morning when I get up?
Do I get along with my collegues and supervisors? Or does the politics drive me crazy?
Is it affecting my health / sanity?
Are my earnings reflecting my abilities or am I taken for granted?
Am I proud to tell people I work for ABC Company as a _____?

If I can't answer most of those questions, I start looking. I was sooooo miserable at my previous job I was near depression because I was fighting so hard to even go in to work everyday and I hated every moment I was there. I counted minutes to quitting time. The only repreive was it was only 4 hrs a day - another reason I had to move on.

It is a lot of soul searching. I wish you the best of luck with it.

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#295492 - 01/07/07 11:15 AM
ms.mindful

Reged: 10/17/06

What you are describing sounds like an "unsettling". Your intuition is telling you something. Listen to it carefully. Granted it may or may not be the "job" specifically but more of a question of wanting to live your unique version of a "fulfilled" life personally and professionally.

It may be helpful for you to spend some time alone in a beautiful spot to ponder some provocative questions:

What do I REALLY want?
What would a fulfilling life look like?
Who will I need to "be" and what will I need to do to accomplish my goals and dreams?
What will inspire me to keep the momentum to move forward?

Then you will need to move into action to put it all together. LOL, this is what I do for a living for so many as a Life Coach. Bottom line here... this unsettling feeling that you're experiencing is the Universe telling you that there is more to be unveiled. How exciting this is!

I will keep good thoughts that you will uncover what it is that you really want.

Lots of love,
~Alicia

#295495 - 01/07/07 11:46 AM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

My phylosophy is if you can't get out of bed in the morning, because the thought of going to work makes you want to cry... it's time for a new job. Alot of times the job we think we want is not as grand as we thoguht it would be. I was definatley going to be a graphic designer and in a round about way I eneded up teaching pre-school (it's a long story) and now I can't imagine sitting in front of a computer all day! I can't wait to go to work every morning. The only drawback is that the day passes very quickly. Four year olds are awesome!

#296334 - 01/12/07 07:29 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

For me, the big thing was dreading going to bed at night ... because then I'd have to wake up in the morning and go to work.

also, I listened to way too much Korn.

It's really tough to be in a position with more freedom/authority/whatever and then suddenly have to give that up. If that's the *only* thing ... then you'll probably adjust.

I also think that if you really want out, you'll know that you want out. The one time I ever had nagging anxious doubts about "am I doing the right thing by quitting?" is when I wasn't doing the right thing.

It never hurts to keep your resume updated, though.

How are you feeling now? Still thinking about moving on?

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#296346 - 01/12/07 10:02 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I used to have a job that made me cry in the morning just because I had to go. If you're doin' that, get that new job. If I am unhappy with anything in my life, including employment, I step back and analyze it and ask myself what I can do to make it better. If there isn't anything you can do to fix it, and it makes you unhappy, and it isn't a permanent fixture in your life (family, IBS, a lazy eye, you get the idea, LOL) sometimes you just have to walk away from it. I'm big on people following their heart and doing things that make them happy (so long as what makes you happy isn't something that hurts someone else).

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#296358 - 01/13/07 05:59 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

The day I started this thread was the first day I had just about completely back in my regular position (instead of being "the boss") and I was utterly bored and frustrated.

Since then, I've been able to talk a lot of things out with my new boss and am feeling at least somewhat better about the state of things. She was very receptive and is willing to go to bat for her staff about certain issues. I've decided I'll give it 6 months to a year and see what happens.

If I do decide to leave, it will still be a tough decision to make because it will probably mean leaving my field. I've done that once before, albeit for completely different reasons, and it was like losing a limb. I missed it so much.

Thank you every one for your input. It gives me more to think about.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1978 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1096

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review