All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New To this Part of The Site
      #295189 - 01/03/07 05:22 PM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

I've been to the diet board chat room alot (especialy two years ago when I started this diet) but I've never been to the living room.
I'm not quite sure how this works. We just chat about whatever is on our mind?
I'm a pre-school teacher with three of my own little ones. We have a cat and My Husband and I are thinking that maybe someday we might want another baby but probably not since our plate seems kind of full.
This diet has made my life so much easier, but recently my son has started to get alot of stomach aches, and that worries me because he is a SUPER Picky eater and cheese and milk were his main source of protien. I've taken him off dairy and so far that seems to be doing the trick but he's so miserable without pizza, cheese and ice cream. He HATES soy milk and he feels the same way about rice milk but I can sometimes get him to drink soy chocolate milk. I worry though becuse he is a walking skelatin.
Sometimes I tend to ramble, but if that's OK than I think I'll like this chat room.
If any one has any advice about my son, I could realy use some help. Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New To this Part of The Site new
      #295198 - 01/03/07 05:49 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Yes, the Living Room is where we hang out, BS, and share ideas and laughs. We also talk about non-IBS related things that we may need help with.

About your son, have you taken him to a GI? Do you know if he has IBS or is this relatively new? As you know, an accurate diagnosis is very important. It could be something as simple as a lactose intolerance. Tofutti makes a very tasty "cheese" pizza and there are all kinds or soy ice creams available that are very good. The chocolate flavors taste the closest to dairy ice cream. He can also try Amy's soy cheese pizza (though I don't care much for this one myself, others seem to like it), and Amy's cheese-less pizza. Soy-Sation makes a good cheese. I make giant calzones and use Soy-Sation cheese in them and it tastes very good. Just follow Heather's pizza recipe and before you bake it fold it over itself and pinch the edges shut. I don't like most soy milks either. Silk makes a plain soy milk that I like and it's the only one I'll drink. Blue Diamond makes a very good almond chocolate milk.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: New To this Part of The Site new
      #295210 - 01/03/07 06:43 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Welcome to the Living Room! Yep, we just talk about whatever is on our minds.
For your son, if his main protein comes from milk products, hmmm. Does he like peanut butter? Or is there an allergy there? I eat it quite a bit for the protein.
I don't eat a lot of meats either - only chicken, turkey, shrimp, and crab - and usually only 1 or 2 meals a week have "meat". Most of my protein comes from soy foods too, like hohoyumyum. I read a lot of labels for "bad" ingredients which will set my tum off. I also watch the fat intake which can contribute.
How old is your son? There has to be something he likes that isn't dairy. I hope you are able to find out and get some help for him. Try making a diary of his foods and reactions to them, if any. It may help pinpoint something.

Best of luck,

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Yes. Peanut Butter has been my savior ... new
      #295220 - 01/03/07 07:12 PM
Casper

My son happens to like it. We both eat alot of it and I only buy the organic (much to my husband's dismay). We keep kosher so the brands of soy products are some what limited, but soy silk and full circle chocolate milks seem to be a hit. He also will settle for Rice Dream cookies & dream in a pinch. I'm not sure what the cause of his stomach aches are. But I do know that since I've started limitiing his dairy intake he hasn't had as many. I want to give it a month or so dairy free before I take him to the dr. It could also be the stress of 3rd grade and the two bouts of strep that he had this fall. So I'm keeping better track of when these aches occur before I approach the pediatrician. I started baking more too, so I have safe treats on hand for him. Thankfully he also likes to snack on apples and carrots. But he still laments the loss of dairy...

Poor kiddos new
      #295221 - 01/03/07 07:18 PM
hohoyumyum

I feel so terrible when I hear about children with stomach/GI issues. It's bad enough for me but I know I can go get "safe" foods or schedule a DR. appt. or do whatever else I have at my disposal for feeling better. But the kiddos are depending on moms and dads to help them. And, thankfully, many parents are very active in finding help for their children (like you are). But others (like mine) ignore symptoms for a decade and wait until their child is an adult and takes care of themself.

--------------------

Thanks. Yes it's definitely harder for him than for me. new
      #295379 - 01/05/07 01:58 PM
Casper

But he has been alot better since we nixed the dairy...and last Wednesday he did have one slice of pizza at school... and nothing happened. (I told him not to have dairy for the rest of this week though, because I don't want to push it.)

I'm glad to hear he's feeling better. n/t new
      #295389 - 01/05/07 03:14 PM
hohoyumyum

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2849 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1045

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review