All Boards >> The Living Room

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Peppermint Tummy Tamers
      #294186 - 12/20/06 06:05 AM
Mystify

Reged: 12/20/06
Loc: Ontario Canada

Hi all, I am new here and just curious. I have battled IBS now for 7 or more years (you lose count) but with hormonal changes it has spun out of control effecting my quality of life I have now begun Heather's fiber and don't expect dramatic results immediately but do have to use only minimal amounts to start. I am cuirous as to the peppermint pills to help with bloating, pain and nausea my biggest enemies but also have a hiatus hernia, does anyone here use the pills and also have a hernia I would sure appreciate your input!.
Thanks in advance
Lesa

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Peppermint Tummy Tamers new
      #294360 - 12/22/06 05:05 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I have a hiatle hernia too and I use pep caps and pep tea all the time. As long as I take the pep cap about 1/2 an hour before I eat I don't have any problems. If I don't eat right after, I get peppermint reflux - which although it is minty fresh, it burns.

Do a search for the peppermint caps, there are lots of posts!

Best of luck!

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#361933 - 11/06/10 01:12 PM
royinspain

Reged: 11/06/10
Loc: Madrid, Spain

I sympathise! I was diagnosed with IBS and a deficient Ileocecal valve some 5 months ago after a lifetime of discomfort (I am now 50 y.o.). I trying to following the suggestions and diets. I bought a kit which included peppermint oil capsules.
The book and fennel seeds are great. However, everytime I take a peppermint capsule (following the instructions on the pot, on an empty stomach before meals), I suffer incredible heartburn/acid attacks. It is rather frustrating to have 2 pots of the capsules sitting here. I was diagnosed 5 years ago as having the beginings of a haiatus hernia, could this be the cause and does anyone have any suggestions?

#361958 - 11/08/10 06:26 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Hi Royinspain!

Unfortunately if you have a hiatal hernia it can be aggravated by peppermint. I've had a HH diagnosed for the past 4 years. I can't use the pep caps anymore - they cause me too much discomfort. I can use peppermint Altoids though without the peppermint reflux.
Sorry, no easy answer...

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3435 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5573

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review