All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
D makes me anxious
      #293957 - 12/17/06 02:12 PM
hms05

Reged: 09/14/06

When I have an episode of D I get really anxious and sometimes have a panic attack. Anyone else?

I start worrying that the D will get worse and worse or that I'm sick or something. The rational part of my brain knows it will pass and it can usually be traced to something (like today it's stress and my period). But I still panic!

Any tips for getting through an episode calmly??

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: D makes me anxious new
      #293963 - 12/17/06 03:13 PM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

I don't get panic attacks, but having D is quite stressful and a little upsetting for me. When I'm having D I alternate between peppermint tea and Traditional Medicinals Easy Now tea, which is a bunch of mild herbal sedatives blended with peppermint. It's soothing. Also, when I'm at home, I bring a book or the newspaper into the bathroom with me and read. If I have something else to focus on, I stay more relaxed.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

Re: D makes me anxious new
      #293967 - 12/17/06 05:09 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

I had the same problem before I was stable. My IBS attacks were always D and nausea with occasional pain/cramping. Every time I'd eat something wrong (didn't realize what the problem was at the time) I'd start feeling sick. Every time I started feeling sick, I was just SURE I must be coming down with a stomach bug (which almost never happens to me), and I would start to panic. The panic/anxiety attacks manifested themselves with... guess what... D and nausea. It was a constant circle.

My best advice is #1 - find something that helps give you peace (for me it was prayer and Bible study) and #2 - be very strict with following the EFI diet. The better you do with that, the sooner you'll be stable. Then when you eat a little something wrong, it won't be nearly as bad (unless you REALLY go off the deep end with a trigger food). Once I started stabilizing, my anxiety lessened drastically. It's not completely gone, but it is certainly much more manageable now!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1241 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 894

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review