All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
My Christmas Menu. What do you think?
      #293207 - 12/11/06 03:49 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

This year I get to cook Christmas dinner for my husband and his family. His mom had back surgery earlier this year and it still hurts for her to be on her feet a lot so I offered to cook up a yummy feast. More like a huge spread. I love to cook and holiday cooking is even more fun for me. So here's what I have planned:

(Hubby's family will be bringing a meat dish for themselves. I told them, "Sorry, but I'm not cooking anything that once ate other things").

-Tofurkey roast with olive oil and dill baste (did I say yum?)
-Tofurkey gravy (this stuff is sooo good )
-Garlic mash potatoes
-Mushroom Stuffing
-Veggie platter to snack on before the feast (mostly for them, though I may broil some veggies for me)
-Corn (for them, not me)
-Fresh rolls
-Cranberry sauce (again, for them, not me)
-Candied yams
-Apple pie
-Tofutti Cheesecake pudding with berries of some kind (you CAN'T tell the difference with this stuff, it is so delicious)
-Fruit Salad
-Egg Nog for them (I don't like it, call me strange, I never have)
And anything else I decide to throw in there before we actually eat.

So that's the spread. If you want any of the recipes, I'll send them your way or post them on here. But keep in mind that you may have to modify them to accommodate your IBS requirements).

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Set a spot for me! new
      #293209 - 12/11/06 03:53 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Just kidding. But boy, does that all sound good!

I've always been curious about the Tofurkey - they don't even sell them anywhere up here, but even when I had access to such a thing, nobody I've ever lived with would try it. LOL

Mushroom stuffing sounds especially tasty. Mmmm...

Tofurkey new
      #293211 - 12/11/06 04:00 PM
hohoyumyum

It's kinda weird. It tastes like something between chicken and turkey, but has the texture of a lean ham. Go figure. It's pretty good but can make you kinda gassy. That's tofu. My father-in-law says he'll eat it and my MIL says she'll try it, but she's not making any commitments. Hey, at least I got an "I'll try it." And my brother-in-law will eat anything that anyone puts in front of him. LOL

--------------------

I *heart* Tofurkey new
      #293218 - 12/11/06 05:05 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

It all depends on how you make it. We eschew the directions that come with the box and rub it with Olive Oil and poultry seasoning and roast it with onions and carrots and spices. It's very tasty. We don't like the stuffing it comes with, so we just empty out the insides and make our own. I have some friends who are devotees of the UnTurkey, but we like the Tofurkey better.

Tofu anything new
      #293220 - 12/11/06 05:07 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

You menu sounds great!! And tummy friendly too! Glad to see you have a family who is willing to try new stuff! My family is NOT.
I made a tofu cherry cheesecake one year for a family dinner. I didn't tell anyone it was tofu. As soon as they cut the first piece, my cousin said something about the consistency, I had to fess up. I ended up taking the entire thing home and eating most of it myself. The rest got thrown out. Now, I'm told what to bring, I just eat whatever is at dinner I can, and go home for a snack later.

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

My immediate family... new
      #293226 - 12/11/06 05:48 PM
hohoyumyum

...are mostly a bunch of buttheads. Sounds harsh, I know, but they're all either drunk or just plain mean (except my mom). My father told me that all of the things I do to keep stable are the things that give me IBS and my sister just hates everything.

My husband's family, on the other hand, is wonderful. From the first day they met me, they tried their best to be understanding of my diet even if they didn't really get it. And now, all these years later, it's just normal to them and they are more than willing to accommodate me or try what I'm having. I really lucked out when I married in to this family.

--------------------

Re: My immediate family... new
      #293260 - 12/12/06 05:05 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

the meal sounds yummy, though I do have never done a tofurkey... I eat poultry though...

As to the families- join the crowd.. my FIL will ask what I cna have before cooking and either I'll bring something or he'll make something I can eat... depending on what he's planning.. and he lets me HELP in the kitchen to ensure things are safe.. Bill's stepdad has asked for details on my diet and makes sure there are things I can have for a meal or if he's cooking for a crowd and knows I can't have the main dish or that there won't be a safe side asks if I can bring that part... my mother on the other hand has 0 understanding except for the avoiding dairy thing because thats actually an allergy... she overreacts in public while I know how to cope and she bitches when I won't eat veggies or fatty things she's made that are dairy free but not safe for ME...

thankfully we live near Bill's family and not mine... my parents will barely eat in our house, forget big meals.. and my grandparents just don't understand... so the trip to see them in March should be interesting...

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

My family are "buttheads" too... new
      #293264 - 12/12/06 05:41 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

The only way to solve this is to get married, I take it! I am "not allowed" to bring my own foods...and mom always gives me a rude comment if I try and dish out some potatoes and carrots before she pours them in butter and milk. My family thinks I'm a faker trying to get attention for my pretend illness.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: My Christmas Menu. What do you think? new
      #293273 - 12/12/06 07:05 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Sounds yummy! I haven't tried the turfukey yet as I seem to do ok with regular turkey but maybe I'll give it a try!

My parent in laws are awful about my diet restrictions as well. I usually lose a few pounds when we visit them because I can't eat anything they cook! They even deep fried the turkey at thanksgiving!!!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: My family are "buttheads" too... new
      #293291 - 12/12/06 10:45 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Oh, that sounds too familiar!! I used to get the faking business, until they saw me have attacks and nearly pass out from the pain. My mil is good, but forgets that if you stuff the turkey with bacon stuffing, I can't eat it - cross-contamination is a really bad trigger for me. I guess all our families have quirks!

We ought to have a big convention with IBS friendly foods and anyone who doesn't understand can take a long walk off a short pier!

Sorry - we hijacked your thread!! Let's get you back on the Christmas menu topic!!

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 518 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3835

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review