All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New with some questions
      #293003 - 12/08/06 07:21 PM
HeatherV

Reged: 12/08/06
Loc: Pacific northwest

Hi there -- I'm not sure this is the right board to be posting these questions on. Bear with me I was diagnosed kinda off-handedly with IBS several years ago after repeated awlful stomach aches. At that time, pain was not relieved by BM. Food triggers were corn and nutts but couldn't put a finger on anything else specific. Pain persisted off and on until I got pregnant for second time. I swear, I'd rather be in labor than have these intense upper ab pains! Literally about to pass out . . saw a GI dr who looked at gallbladder and decided my problem was acid reflux or IBS. Symptoms subsided until my baby was born and were back with a vengeance. Can't predict the foods that will trigger an attack. No complaints until a stomach attack occurs. No C or D -- unless having painful episode. this afternoon drinking a cup of peppermint tea resulted in medium attack. How does that make sense? SOOO frustrated. I eat low fat, vegetarian and regularly supplement wiht soluable fiber. The dr. are revisiting possile gallbladder stuff since pain is localized in upper ab area, right side and back . . . Does this sound like IBS to you all? I hate that I am afraid to eat the veges I love, haven't touched a salad in months (salad and fatty foods are LETHAL combo). I'm also sick to stomach in the afternoon and evenings. UGH. It is so hard to talk to others about this stuff. Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks!
Heather

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New with some questions new
      #293010 - 12/08/06 09:01 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

For now I think the best thing to do is have a GI doc run all the tests Heather lists. That's the only way you can be sure if you have IBS because there are other more serious illnesses that mimic IBS. In the meantime while you're waiting for test results you can follow Heather's diet as it may give you some relief, and maybe you should consider taking a probiotic along with a fibre supplement. Hope this helps you out.

Re: New with some questions new
      #293057 - 12/10/06 01:14 AM
Sufie

Reged: 10/14/06

I completely back up Gracie. Have ALL the test run that means ALL. There are too many organs in the abdominal area for you to accept an IBS diagnosis w/o the proper test. I have had every test under the sun and I am darn glad I did.

I hope everything calms down for you very soon. I suggest the "break the cycle" diet recommended by Heather. It is not easy to do but it seems to me like your body needs a break from everything for now and you need to regain control once more by slowly building up the IF's.

I tried this diet when I received the preliminary IBS diagnosis w/o the final colonoscopy and breath test to rule out bacterial overgrowth. I was already way ahead of the game by the time I received a confirmed 100% diagnosis of having IBS. Starting the IBS diet early and seeing positive results also assured me tha the problem was nothing more serious than IBS.

Hope this helps.

Best to you and keep us informed on how you are doing.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4214 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 750

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review