All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Just chitty chat for a slow board!
      #288762 - 11/02/06 07:38 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

So, I found a new author that's really fun to read. Her name is Sofie Kinsella. I was at Target a couple of weeks ago and just on a whim picked up her book called The Undomestic Goddess. It was very cute, just a girly fluff book but a fun read. I usually read stuff like Dean Koontz and Stephen King but wanted something lighter. She lives in England so I find some of the words and phrasing amusing!

So, I finished that book and decided to stop at Borders this morning on my way to work to pick up another one of her books. I got to the store, find her books and I'm having a leisurely look about when all the sudden, belly goes cramp, burble, gurgle, CRAMP! Oh crap, where is the bathroom. Ask someone, its upstairs. Oh no, elevator out of service. As quick as my swollen, painful joints will allow, go hobbling up two flights of stairs, butt checks clenched, listening to the burbles get louder and louder. Reach the top of the stairs and its all the way across the room. Oh man, hurry, hurry, please don't let me crap my pants in the middle of the store. Ok, finally reach the potty, no time to check for tp or anything. I break out into a sweat and wait as the cramps come.

Its funny the things I do in the potty trying to get through an attack. I sit there, eyes closed, doubled over and I start counting. I have no idea why, something to distract myself with, I guess. Thought it was rather odd though. I'd count until I would explode, than start over at zero! Am I neurotic or does anyone else do this?

So, fast forward 15 minutes and I realize there is like 2 squares of tp on the roll! Groan. So, I go rummaging through my purse looking for kleenex.....ok, clean up down. I think I'm a good 5 pounds lighter than I started the day!

But, I've got my new book "Can you Keep a Secret?" and I'm looking forward to a relaxing day at the office as I'm here by myself.

I'll do my humira injection tonight and my second mtx shot tomorrow. I have high hopes of cleaning out my closet this weekend. Been meaning to do it for weeks now, got clothes everywhere. Need to put summer stuff way, figure out what fits and what doesn't and make a trip to donate the stuff I'm not wearing to the woman's shelter. Lets hope my physical strength holds out, its a BIG job!

I made an appt to start physical therapy on Monday. They have a small pool there and I'm hoping to go 2-3 times a week. This flare has had me in so much pain, I haven't done anything and I know a little exercise and stretching will do me good. The hot water in the pool and the water itself, helps to take some of the pressure of my joints. I figure its a great way to get started back on the road to some sort of physical activity, and my insurance pays for it! Bonus!

My jaw is slowly starting to unlock. Stll hurts but its down to a dull roar instead of a steady SCREAM. I can eat soft foods but thats about it. Hoping to be able to get a new bite gaurd in the next few weeks and avoid surgery!

So, thats about all I've got. I can't believe how slow the board is right now. Tell us whats happening in your life!

Casey, hows your dad doing? How are YOU doing??

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Just chitty chat for a slow board! new
      #288768 - 11/02/06 08:15 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Okay, so I know it wasn't funny while it was happening, but I cracked up at your potty panic description. As for the counting, I do that - not in the bathroom usually but in other stressful situations. For some reason, I usually count by 3's. Go figure.

I'll have to see if my library has any Sofie Kinsella. I could use a little fluffy reading.

If you like scary/thriller type books, I just read "Plague Maker" by Tim Downs. It really sucked me in but I couldn't read it right before bed - too scary.

I kind of wish you hadn't mentioned cleaning out your closets. I've been putting off that little task for over a year now. I keep thinking I should use the FlyLady approach and just go upstairs, set a timer for 15 minutes, do what I can, then stop. And do that every day. Yeah, right.

Please let me know how the water therapy goes. I have osteonecrosis in my left hip and I should be having surgery for it but I'm just not up to it. I need to get some exercise but walking is out so water aquatics might be a good option for me. I know water therapy will be little different than just straight water aquatics, but I'd still love to hear what you think of your therapy.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#288773 - 11/02/06 08:46 AM
michele

Tim Downs, I will have to look for him. I don't think I have ever read any of his stuff. Not sure why I like all those scary books and medical mysteries and the Kay Scarpetta books...I'm also a sucker for cheesy sci-fi movies!

I've just recently noticed the counting thing. And, yes, I do it when I'm stressed also! Odd. I just count single though, maybe when the pain gets real bad, I'll try multiple numbers, that would take more concentration! Its funny how a panic potty situation can come on so suddenly. Fine one minute, and WHAM, OH MAN GOTTA GO RIGHT NOW!!!

I do the 15 minute thing now for cleaning around the house. I'll do 15-20 minutes than sit down for 10-15 minutes. Its the only way I can get things down, otherwise I get too tired and sore. Although the closet and dresser drawer cleaning has got to be done all at once. I need to just pull everything out, sort it, refold it and weed it out and put it all back. I think I'll pick out a few good cd's, put'em on shuffle, get myself a glass of lemonade and a vicodin and have at it. I will need to take breaks but its just got to get done! I doubt anything else will get done, but darned it, I'm determined to get that one project done. I've been trying to do it for weeks and just haven't had the energy but its really cold here now and I need to find my sweaters!

As for the water therapy, I do love it! I've done it 3 times before. Its so much better than land therapy. The pool is much hotter than a pool at the gym or the ymca. It really helps the muscles relax. They still give you a list of exercises to do in the water. Than, I go to the deep end and use a noodle floaty thing and just sort of kick around for a while. Then, in the shallow end, they have an area with jets and you just sit and relax! The therapy pool at the hospital is much bigger but its too much of a pain to go to. There is a pt place right across from my work and they are open late a few nights a week so I can go after work and not have to worry about my hair and make-up being messed up afterwards!

I did take a water aerobic class at the Y a couple of years back and really enjoyed it. I'm not physically up to something that energetic yet but maybe after the holidays!

--------------------

#288776 - 11/02/06 08:48 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

Confessions of a Shopaholic is another good one by Sophie Kinsella.

Thanks for the laugh about your br emergency at Borders. I know it wasn't funny while it was happening, but I just got the mental image while I was reading and I had to smirk. Thank goodness you made it in time.

I count too - not sure why but sometimes it just helps!!

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

chick lit new
      #288778 - 11/02/06 09:04 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I've also read "Confessions of a Shopaholic" and really enjoyed it. I think the whole "chick lit" thing isn't nearly as big as it used to be, but I'm glad the genre really got a kick-start -- sometimes you just want to read something funny and girly. I do feel cheated occasionally when a book ends up being a romance novel wrapped in chick lit packaging.

I really like Meg Cabot -- if you liked SK you'd probably like her too.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

yeah, it's really slow around here ... new
      #288780 - 11/02/06 09:30 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Maybe we should bring up interesting new topics to generate more discussion. Except not the kind of interesting new topics where people end up getting upset and leaving the boards in a huff, because that is sort of counter-productive to getting more traffic.

Okay -- so what should we discuss?

If you were a character in a movie like "Jurassic Park", would people take one look at you and know that you would probably get horribly killed in the first half hour?

If you could legally become a bigamist with anyone who would it be?

If the Cosmetic Surgery Fairy came along and offered you one wish what would you change?

If you were Isabella in "Measure for Measure" would you have slept with Angelo to save Claudio?

If you were the patient-of-the-week on "House", what do you think they would initially misdiagnose you with?

If you were Barbie, would you marry Ken?

If you had to pick one song that you completely loathe, what would it be?

Hmmm. Well, okay, or maybe we should all just sit here and wait for the health and baby updates to trickle in.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: chick lit new
      #288781 - 11/02/06 09:43 AM
michele

I've never gotten into much fluffy chich stuff but I'm finding it very amusing at the moment!

Meg Cabot, I'll put that on my list to check out!

--------------------

Re: Have a laugh on me..... new
      #288782 - 11/02/06 09:45 AM
michele

Really, its ok! I figured who else would really understand the situation! Even though I was half dying while it was happening, it WAS funny! Who else can I tell stuff like that too?

--------------------

Re: yeah, it's really slow around here ... new
      #288783 - 11/02/06 09:50 AM
michele

If you were a character in a movie like "Jurassic Park", would people take one look at you and know that you would probably get horribly killed in the first half hour? YEP!

If you could legally become a bigamist with anyone who would it be? PRINCE

If the Cosmetic Surgery Fairy came along and offered you one wish what would you change? MY NOSE!

If you were Isabella in "Measure for Measure" would you have slept with Angelo to save Claudio? Never saw it!

If you were the patient-of-the-week on "House", what do you think they would initially misdiagnose you with? Oh boy, take your pick! I'd love to let them take a crack at me though!

If you were Barbie, would you marry Ken? Nope!

If you had to pick one song that you completely loathe, what would it be? Mmm, many to chose from but probably some of the old 80's love ballets like "love hurts"

--------------------

Re: yeah, it's really slow around here ... new
      #288790 - 11/02/06 10:21 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

If you were a character in a movie like "Jurassic Park", would people take one look at you and know that you would probably get horribly killed in the first half hour? I like to think I could put off being killed until the second half-hour.

If you could legally become a bigamist with anyone who would it be? Hmm. Do you mean I get to be one of two wives or I get to have two husbands?

If the Cosmetic Surgery Fairy came along and offered you one wish what would you change? My chin.

If you were Isabella in "Measure for Measure" would you have slept with Angelo to save Claudio? It's been too long since I've read this. Was this a one-time only deal or longer term?

If you were the patient-of-the-week on "House", what do you think they would initially misdiagnose you with? Logically, arthritis, but since that doesn't provide the opportunity for a treatment that would temporarily kill me, I'm not sure.

If you were Barbie, would you marry Ken? No.

If you had to pick one song that you completely loathe, what would it be? Drawing a blank here. There are lots of song I don't care for but I'm not coming up with one I absolutely loathe.

What about you?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1568 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3043

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review