All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Please, please- I need advice on traveling with panic & ibs
      #285421 - 10/06/06 09:20 AM
tml

Reged: 02/06/05

I have a 2 1/2- 3 hour car ride tomorrow (to go to my neices baptism- and my husband and I are Godparents!) and my anxiety & IBS have never been worse. The last few trips I've taken have been a blur of one panic attack running into the next. I can either ride with my parents (which would mean my daughter would be in the car during her nap time) or I can wait and go with my husband later in the day (which I think would be worse because then I have all day to dread the trip rather than just get it over with). My plan right now is to take immodium tonight and tomorrow morning, and I have a prescription for xanax/alprazolam for the ride, but I'm still shaking just thinking about it. I could really use tips or suggestions for coping during the drive.
As a side note, before the IBS & panic hit me, I had traveled to Europe twice, and extensively in the US. I can't believe my world has gotten so small because of this. The other day on Dr. Phil, two agoraphobics were featured, and my mom called to make sure I was watching it (ouch). I watched, and I wound up thinking it would be so much easier if I only had the panic or the IBS rather than the vicious cycle.
Now, rather than looking forward to my neice's baptism, I'm dreading the ride, standing in front of people (not a problem EXCEPT when my panic is bad), driving all over the city, and going to a fancy buffet afterwards, where I will be afraid to eat anything because of an attack.
Sorry that I'm whining. I know that long term its good that this trip is non-negotiable, because it forces me to travel no matter what. Still, it's really hard. If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it. I don't know what to do. -tina

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Please, please- I need advice on traveling with panic & ibs new
      #285424 - 10/06/06 09:52 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

First, take a deep breath and relax!! I would take at least half a xanax right now, what strength are yours? I would take another before bed and definitely one in the morning. Try to take a hot bath, put in some relaxing music and try to take your mind off it. Try some breathing techniques, close your eyes and take at least 3 deep breaths and tell yourself there is no need to get so worked up. Your mental state will have a lot to do with your physical state. hugs and love

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#285425 - 10/06/06 10:07 AM
Susie2

Reged: 08/07/06
Loc: Pomona California

" I know that long term its good that this trip is non-negotiable, because it forces me to travel no matter what."

Half the battle is already won. For me equivicating between should I go or shouldn't I became the worse part of my panic attacks and subsequent agoraphobia. I am now practically panic free thanks to an organization called Recovery Inc. which offers self help techniques for those with anxiety, panics and depression. I learned to counter my fears by replacing my negative thoughts with such positive statements as: "My symptoms are distressing but not dangerous. I can function with my symptoms." I reinforced the changed thinking by doing the things I feared and hated to do. Like going places even though I was sooooo uncomfortable. IBS adds another element - fear of a bowel incident, but it sounds like you are taking precautions (meds) and are going to be with supportive people. I also tell myself that this event is time limited and I can endure 2 days of discomfort or whatever. You will feel so proud of yourself afterwards. I am not saying that it is easy to change your thoughts (those fearful ideas just race around willy nilly in the head). Nor is it easy to endure the symptoms of panic. I would just keep repeating my little positive statements over and over. In time things did get better.

You really are halfway there having made this firm decision to go. Many individuals in similar circumstances would decline the honor of being a Godparent rather than suffer the symptoms of participating in the event. Give yourself a big pat on the back. You can do it!

#285448 - 10/06/06 01:22 PM
hms05

Reged: 09/14/06

So sorry you're feeling such apprehension about your trip but I can totally understand how you feel.

When my anxiety was at its worst I DREADED traveling and got SO anxious in the days leading up to it. BUT...I usually found that I did just fine on the actual trip and that most of my apprehension was over nothing.

Now that's not *at all* to discount or lessen how you feel now. Panic is truly awful, I don't wish it on my worst enemy, I always say.

Sounds like you're doing what you can to prepare. Imodium should help w/ the IBS and you have good meds for the anxiety. Try and best you can to focus on one obstacle at a time. That's a big one one for me so I can understand how hard that is. I'm really good and thinking WAY too far ahead and getting myself all worked up. Bring as many things as you can to distract you on the trip-magazines, etc. My hubbie would always force me to talk b/c it would always get my mind off my anxiety so trying talking alot too.

You *will* be fine and I bet you'll do better at all the events than you think you will right now.

Sending calm vibes your way!

#285494 - 10/06/06 06:21 PM
tml

Thanks for responding you guys! It helps just to be able to vent and know that others have been or are in the same boat. It really helps to get tips that I can use tomorrow, and through the weekend.
Most of the day I felt really shaky and so overwhelmed by the trip. Thankfully my husband had just woken up (works the night shift), so he was able to send me off to take a bath while he put our daughter down for a nap. I still feel anxious, but I'm making progress on packing (I have a 14 month old daughter to pack for as well) and I'm setting a firm bedtime for myself no matter what isn't done and will have to wait over the weekend. The last time I traveled I was short on sleep too, so my IBS was really flared up from that as well. Hopefully I'll head that off this time, but I'd better get back to packing so I am ready. Thanks everyone, and wish me luck.

#285559 - 10/07/06 09:16 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm late to this - took a car trip myself the last couple of days - but I hope your day is going well. Let us know how your weekend was.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: How'd the trip go??? nt new
      #285759 - 10/09/06 08:14 AM
michele

--------------------

I'm back! I made it! new
      #285840 - 10/09/06 06:55 PM
tml

I got back a little after noon today, and I while I'm really glad it's over, I'm also really glad that was able to be a part of my niece's baptism. I went with my parents Saturday morning, and even after immodium the night before and 2 more in the morning, I was in the bathroom 4 times. My panic flared up, and after my first xanax, I was still shaking and in tears. My prescription bottle said "take 1 or 2 every six hours", so my mom suggested that I take another (my mom has ibs too, and even though hers is pretty mild, she is extremely understanding and supportive). I took another xanax, and I made it down with only 2 short, pretty easy to get rid of panic attacks! Huge success, compared to my last few trips. I took one xanax the next day so I'd be comfortable driving around the city (riding, rather) and I made it through that just fine too. Today's trip home was also a success. I am still a little shaky and foggy feeling from the xanax, but I've always been a little sensitive to meds, and I'll take this over how it was any day!
I really want to say that I appreciate all of the tips and support so much. This board and the people that take the time to offer advice are invaluable gifts, and I really want to say what a difference it made to me this weekend. The advice Susie2 gave about the positive self talk was very helpful. It's really easy to feel alone and weak when you are struggling with something that others find so easy to do, so knowing that I was not alone in this and that there were things I could to do make it better were of great comfort to me. Thanks everyone!
Tina

You Did IT! Hurrah! new
      #285850 - 10/09/06 11:17 PM
Susie2

Reged: 08/07/06
Loc: Pomona California

Don't you feel just great?! I know it wasn't easy and at times downright difficult, but you did it. I'm so happy for you.

Re: You Did IT! Hurrah! new
      #285871 - 10/10/06 07:24 AM
michele

I'm glad yu went and all turned out relatively well!!

--------------------

Good job, tml new
      #285992 - 10/10/06 08:29 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I'm sorry I didn't see your message before, but I'm so glad you you the advice you needed from the other caring, wonderful people on this board. I'm go glad you made it through the day, and kudos to you for not withholding the meds you needed WHEN you needed them.

I know it feels good to know you can take care of yourself when you need it! Congratulations to you for being proactive about your health and taking care of you!! You've made it through this experience which should give you the confidence to know you can make it through the next one... and the next...

Next week I have a stressful time ahead of me-- I'll be working on my feet away from home nonstop, for about 4 days. I'm stressing out about it as I'll be in a hotel room away from my "comfort zone," but I know I'll keep all the information and insight about IBS in my head, and in my heart all the wonderful advice I've gleaned from the caring people on these boards.

Hope you're having a good tummy day--

~nelly~

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1658 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1435

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review