All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Looking for GOOD feedback from meds - yet again
      #285247 - 10/04/06 06:24 PM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

Hi, You guys will get sick of me but I need to hear some positive stories about those on meds - Celexa, Zoloft, Efforex, etc. Good stories about helping the anxiety - depression. Thanks - Debbie IBS -C
Wanting to take the step to meds due to anxiety that is drowning me.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Lexapro gave me my life back new
      #285259 - 10/04/06 07:55 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

It truly did. I never wanted to take meds in the first place, but I got to a point, 2 years ago, where I was either going to be medicated, or I was going to be committed. Seriously. My anxiety was through the roof, and my panic attacks were so violent that they even terrified my poor boyfriend.

Within... oh, I don't know, maybe a month?... I felt a hundred times better. I mean, not even normal - BETTER than normal. I've dealt with anxiety problems for so long that I didn't even realize how it was affecting certain areas of my life. Before I went on Lexapro, I couldn't even sit down and knit or read a book, because my "lack of attention span" made it impossible. Now the static in my head is calmed down enough that I can whip out sweaters and read novels, and I'm tickled.

Hang in there, keep taking the meds, tough out the side effects. It's all worth it.

Re: I've been on Paxil, Effexor and now Luvox and Wellbutrin. new
      #285270 - 10/05/06 06:04 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I'm sort of ambivalent. The Wellbutrin certainly helped give me that extra oomf. Effexor was great as it eliminated my IBS completely, but when I was diagnosed with bipolar, my Doc switched me to Luvox. I'm not convinced it's doing much.
If you're looking for a magic pill, there isn't one, the best the meds can do is REDUCE your symptoms, but you're not likely to be completely free of them.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Lexapro gave me my life back new
      #285301 - 10/05/06 08:51 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

If you are truly this anxious right now, what have you got to lose? I couldn't imagine getting through every day without some sort of ad.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Lexapro gave me my life back new
      #285398 - 10/06/06 06:01 AM
feelinggood

Hi - You described how I feel, my attention span is not there for reading a book! I have a fearful feeling that dooms in and it has no reason to be there - I tried celexa (1/2 tab) and it hit me in one hour like a ton of bricks - walking through a fog and I had no feeling inside - scared me to death - did not like that at all. I see my Dr. this morning - I may take a long time to hit the right one - IBS=C Debbie

Re: Lexapro gave me my life back-Michelle new
      #285400 - 10/06/06 06:03 AM
feelinggood

I understand completely what you are saying - I guess I am so sensitive to meds that the side effects are magnified on me. I tried celexa (1/2) tab the other day and I was walking through a fog within one hour - also the feeling inside of me was nill - I was void of feeling - scared me to death - please keep me in your prayers - Debbie IBS-C

Re: Looking for GOOD feedback from meds - yet again new
      #285403 - 10/06/06 06:13 AM
Karen18

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: Near Philadelphia, PA

Debbie--I took Paxil CR for one year beginning about a month after I started the IBS diet. I was getting afraid to leave the house because of the fear of having an attack with no bathroom in sight. The Paxil helped me get over the anxiety, and I was able to have a fairly normal life while working on getting stable. I stopped after a year because I didn't like the side effects (vivid dreams and tiredness). I really believe that some type of med used on a short-term basis is helpful for people with IBS. Iwould caution, however, researching the withdrawal symptoms. (Paxil is supposedly non-addictive, but the withdrawal was pretty scary.)

#285407 - 10/06/06 06:44 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

I just wanted to second that about withdrawal. I am now about 5 weeks off Lexapro--and it was a horrible 5 weeks. The side effects while I was on were next to nothing. I had some crazy dreams, but overall, I felt like I had my life back. I would have written a testimonial about Lexapro...but after finally deciding I didn't need it, I went from 10 mg-5 mg- nothing. It was horrible. I felt so dizzy and out of it. My body could hardly function. I got pretty depressed and spent evenings crying for hours for NO reason...it was not great. So I hate posting something so negative, but this truly changed my mind about ADs...

--------------------
IBS-A

#285432 - 10/06/06 10:46 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Are you sorry you took it in the first place?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#285452 - 10/06/06 02:07 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

No, I cannot be sorry I took it because it helped me so much at the time. Since I am just getting over the withdrawal symptoms, I think I'm just frustrated with that. Honestly, Lexapro helped me getting through some really tough times. The withdrawal was terrible, but if someone needs the medication, it truly is worth it.

--------------------
IBS-A

#285515 - 10/06/06 09:34 PM
meowincat

Reged: 11/02/05

I started taking Celexa 3 weeks ago and I feel great. I took this a few years ago and it made me gain weight so I stopped. This was before I had IBS. I decided a few weeks ago that I'd rather be fat and happy than skinny & miserable. I'm taking it with Wellbutrin and this seems to help stop the hunger. When I took it before it also killed my sex drive, but again with the Wellbutrin that doesn't seem to be a problem. Not like I had much of a sex drive when I was having IBS attacks all the time! ;)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 644 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2280

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review