All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
When it rains, it pours!
      #285189 - 10/04/06 11:27 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Just an update on me...

I'm home, recovering from foot surgery. For 2 weeks, I've been in a hard cast, hobbling around with a walker and one foot. I got my stitches out yesterday, and then they put me in another hard cast ---for another 2 weeks! I can put only partial weight on it, so I still have to use a cane, 1 crutch, or a walker.

I am getting discouraged because this recovery is so slow. I can't even change my pants or bathe by myself ---or fix myself anything to eat. My husband travels a lot on business, so I'm home during the day by myself ---and going crazy! I'm sick and tired of being in the house.

My neighbors have been wonderful, helping me by taking my dogs out and feeding them, and bringing us food.

In the meantime, our youngest son, a sophomore in college, calls home saying he's injured his knee. He has torn his ACL (ligament) and is going to have to have surgery. We don't know when. He had an MRI yesterday and will see an orthopedic surgeon Friday for the results. Then we will know if he can continue this semester at school (and possibly have the surgery over the Christmas holidays)----or if he will have to withdraw from school and come home now to recover. He's in his 7th week of school! His right leg is in a full-length rigid brace and he's on crutches. His university is large and hilly, and understandbly, he's having a difficult time getting around campus. He's on 2 meds, but is still in pain, not sleeping or eating, and very overwhelmed. My husband and I are so worried about him.
He's hanging on until Friday until we know more from the doctor and then we have some difficult decisions to make.

My poor husband! He's trying to concentrate on work, dealing with 2 disabled family members, and he's helping his mother get settled (his father died suddenly about 6 weeks ago.) When it rains, it pours!

Please keep us in your prayers. We could use some now. I'm so anxious about this all, but trying to take it one day at a time.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: When it rains, it pours! new
      #285204 - 10/04/06 12:49 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Ack, you sure do have a lot to deal with right now. How did your son hurt his knee? Poor kid! Is there a student advocate or someone he can ask for help getting around campus?

Being in a cast and on crutches sucks. I didn't walk for close to three months when I tore up my ankle a couple years back. It makes you appreciate the little things you do everyday, like going pee by yourself! Feel better soon!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#285210 - 10/04/06 01:04 PM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

Sending prayers and hugs your way! Debbie, IBS-C

#285222 - 10/04/06 01:59 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. It always seems like forever when you're recovering. Do the best you can and leave it at that. As for food, I would go instant for now if your tum can tolerate it. Michelina's and all that stuff - they have some dairy free chicken dinners that are low fat and decent. I also like skillet sensations Country chicken - it's veggies, chicken and potatoes. It has a trace amount of dairy, but I tolerate it just fine.
I hope your son feels better soon! Worst comes to worst, it's just a semester. Nothing in the large scheme of things. I'm sure the college will be very understanding and accommodating. This kind of thing must happen all the time.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Forgot to tell you I almost died..... new
      #285328 - 10/05/06 12:39 PM
BL

in the recovery room. I remember waking up and screaming that my foot was hurting, and hearing the nurse say, "We gotta give her something else for pain." Well, whatever they gave me caused me to stop breathing on my own. I had the surgery around noon, and I was supposed to be home by mid-afternoon. Instead, I woke up at 7 p.m. to hear them discussing whether they were going to put me in ICU or not. I thought to myself, "My God! What has happened to my foot? Did they have to amputate it or something?" They finally found a regular hospital room to put me in overnight for observation.

In the recovery room, I was so frightened. I was in total darkness but could hear this wicked nurse from hell yelling in my ear, "BREATHE!" She would shake my right (good) foot and scream at me every few minutes. I remember thinking, "What is that broad's problem? Why is it so important that I breathe?" Then I panicked because I thought to myself, "If I'm not breathing, am I dead?" Then the alarm would buzz again, and that nurse would shake my foot and scream, "BREATHE! You have to breathe!" This went on for HOURS.

I heard her say, "Oh my gosh! I forgot about her husband!" She ran to get him and I could hear him fussing at her for leaving him out in the waiting room for hours.

The first thing I saw when I opened my eyes was my surgeon walk in the room. I saw the look of shock on his face (he'd been in another surgery after mine), and he said, "Why is she still here"? I had tubes sticking out of my nose because they were giving me oxygen. I couldn't believe it when they told me it was 7 p.m.

Once I got settled in the hospital room, several nurses came in and woke me up. They were upset. "Your box is not working! Why are you not hooked up? Where are your wires?" one of them said, as she lifted my gown and searched my chest. Then they would look at my foot---in a hard cast---and say, "What did you DO to your foot?" I thought I was in the twilight zone! I said, "I didn't DO anything to my foot. I came into this hospital to have surgery on it. Doesn't anyone have my medical records?"

My husband screamed at them, "LOOK AT HER CHART, WOULD YOU?" We finally figured out that they had put me on the cardio ward and they were freaking out because they couldn't figure out why that "box" (the heart monitor)wasn't hooked up to me!!!!

Needless to say, I was glad to get home, where I was safe. I made the nurse who discharged me write down the medicines they gave me in the recovery room so that I make sure I never have them again. I am supposed to have surgery on the other foot in 3 months, and now I am terrified of having surgery again. I've had surgery in the past, and never had this problem. I live in a large city and this is supposed to be a great hospital. Yikes! I dunno wanna go back there again.

Also, I have to tell you what my neighbor, who's Jewish, said to me. She said, "When all of this was happening in the recovery room, did you see a white light at the end of a tunnel? Did you see the pearly gates? Did you see Jesus?"

I said, "No! All I saw was complete darkness!"

My husband laughed and said, "That oughta worry you! You need to start going back to church."

HA! We have laughed and laughed about this.

Re: Forgot to tell you I almost died..... new
      #285333 - 10/05/06 12:54 PM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

What an ordeal! Thank goodness you are ok after all that!

What was the original foot surgery for?

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Re: Forgot to tell you I almost died..... new
      #285356 - 10/05/06 03:00 PM
BL

It was to correct a very bad case of plantar fascitis (that I've had for years) and tarsal tunnel syndrome, a painful nerve condition in my heel. It's similar to carpal tunnel syndrome that people develop in their wrists.

OMG!! new
      #285410 - 10/06/06 07:09 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I am so happy to hear you are alright - but wow!! What a scare! Glad to hear your foot is recovering, even if they stuck you in another cast. I go Tuesday to have my stitches removed and then I will find out what the next step is too (no pun intended!) And hopefully I will be able to go back to work - not that I don't like being at home on crutches by myself all day with 100s of movies to watch and needlepoint to do - my bosses brought me the laptop on Wednesday and I have been working from home!!! I can't get away from that place to save my life!!
I'm getting tired of the crutches though! I can place my foot on the floor now, but still can't bear any weight. The nurse (ha ha - not!) said I could start walking as soon as I didn't feel any pain when I stepped down, as soon as 48 hours after surgery - so that will be in a week or two I hope!!
I had trouble with the anesthetic this time around - you had fun with the pain releivers! Great pair we make eh! My heartbeat slows down when I'm under and they now tell me not to have Fentanyl (sp?) to be put under. I guess it dropped too far! Then of course because I've never had any problems before, I was sick from the drugs too. UGH!

I totally symapathize with you darling!! Keep that foot elevated! All the best for the rest of your recovery!

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

More discouraging news new
      #285507 - 10/06/06 08:09 PM
BL

Our 19-year-old son, who injured his knee last week playing intramural flag football at college, got the results of his MRI today. He tore not only his ACL, but also both cartilages in his knee! I just cried and cried when my husband called me from the doctor's office.

So he is withdrawing from the university, coming home to have surgery, and will have months of rehabilation, including lots of physical therapy. His goal is to be able to run and play golf again in the spring.

My left foot---operated on 2 weeks ago---has got to heal fast so I can take care of him and drive him back and forth to the doctor/physical therapy. I can't believe I'm still in a cast and housebound----and now we're going to have to deal with this!!!!

Will my life ever be normal again? What is "normal"? I don't remember! I wanna go to Target, have a glass of wine, go to my mailbox.

I'm making progress----I now can put my pants on over my cast, all by myself! The things you take for granted until you can't do them anymore!

I WILL NEVER EVER TAKE HEALTH FOR GRANTED ANYMORE, that's for sure.

Re: More discouraging news new
      #285566 - 10/07/06 10:19 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I wish you son lots of good luck for his knee surgery. My dad had a major knee repair in 1988 - cartalidge damage and a double ligament repair. It went so well (as my dad is stubborn and wouldn't give in to the loss of movement!) that the university of Manitoba (Canada) did a study on his recovery. He wears a brace for downhill skiing and playing hockey, but that is his only limitation. And it has been 18 years!

I can only wish the same success for your son.

You'll get along fine to help him, let yourself heal first though!!

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2637 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2856

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review