All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anyone else panicking?
      #284730 - 10/01/06 08:34 AM
tml

Reged: 02/06/05

I'm just curious if anyone else developed panic or anxiety with their IBS symptoms... I have struggled for 6 years, and I'll be seeing a doctor tomorrow to try to treat a flare up in both, along with looking at my weight gain. I'm also struggling with some fertility stuff, and at this point traveling is my worst nightmare (which I need to do this coming weekend). I'm really worried about getting the brush off or not having all of my questions addressed tomorrow... I realize I've crammed a lot of issues into one post, but I am open to any thoughts or advice regarding any of it. Thanks- Tina

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone else panicking? new
      #284796 - 10/01/06 05:22 PM
tummalarkey

Reged: 09/05/06

Fertility problems? Have you been looked at for Endometriosis?

--------------------
Courtney (IBS-D)
"Do your part to live in peace with everyone, as much as possible." Romans 12:18

Re: Yep. new
      #284802 - 10/01/06 05:33 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

I shouldn't say I developed anxiety cause I believe I discovered it about the same time I started IBS. I had several sessions with a psychologist who used the cognitive approach on me. Worked wonderfully. I still have days though when I too am traveling that I can feel very anxious. I usually can prevent a full blown attack by just talking myself out of it but it's still very scary. I dread traveling long distances too. I've been actually staying away from long travels which in NOT a good thing. You should make yourself do it and get over the fear but I've been slacking in that area lately. I just simply don't want to deal with it.

Your not alone

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: Yep. new
      #284826 - 10/01/06 09:05 PM
tml

Thanks for saying I'm not alone. I have never felt more out of control and it is hard to feel like I'm not tough enough, or like traveling is easy- and fun- for everyone else. I also realized that I had anxiety/ panic at the same time as IBS, and the two seem to feed off of each other. Anyway, thanks for saying I'm not alone- that means a lot.

Re: Anyone else panicking? new
      #284827 - 10/01/06 09:16 PM
tml

No, I haven't been looked at for endometriosis. I actually had a miscarriage (@ 8 weeks), then I had a healthy baby girl who is wonderful, and a few months ago I had another miscarriage (D&C @ 12 weeks). I'm really lucky to have my daughter, and I don't think the doctors are concerned about the fact that I've had 2 miscarriages since I had a healthy pregnancy. However, my daughter was 10lbs 8 oz at birth, so I'm a little nervous that I may have developed gestational diabetes later in the pregnancy. I was also reading on this site about the role of hormones in women and IBS, and it makes me wonder if I have some hormonal problem that isn't being considered. I'm probably looking for a solution when there isn't one to be found, but I know that the stress of the miscarriages has played a major role in not eating right and having big IBS attacks. I'm also pretty worried that going on medication could be bad for a baby if I do get pregnant. We're not trying yet because I want to lose weight and get my IBS under control first (and to be frank, I'm not ready to face even the possibility of another miscarriage), but I don't want to do anything that could further complicate adding to our family. This was probably way more than you wanted to know, but that's what I meant about the fertility issues. I guess that's really an inaccurate statement, since I've gotten pregnant 3 times, but I didn't know how else to put it. ?

Re: Miscarriages, hormones, anxiety new
      #284861 - 10/02/06 08:02 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I know them all well. First, let me express how sorry I am that you lost two babies. I know sorry doesn't even begin to express the pain you feel but having lost 5 of my own babies, I do truly understand the pain.

I have always been a bit of an anxious, nervous person. My ibs started when I was 15, I'm 36 now. I was prone to panic attacks and avoided big crowds and such.

We tried to start a family a few years back. At the time, I was pretty healthy, minimal ibs issues and the anxiety was under control. We got pregnant the second month off bc pills but lost the baby at 6 weeks. Got pregnant again right away but lost the baby at 8 weeks. Chromosome study done after d&c showed healthy female baby.

Took a month off, had some preliminary tests done. My progesterone was low so started using supplements after ovulation. About 6 months later, got pregnant again, ended with hemorrhaging and emergency d&c at 8 weeks. Again, chromosomally healthy female.

Went to a RE, reproductive endocrinologist. Had the whole fertility work-up done. Biopsy's, chromosomal analysis of me and hubby, sperm check, full clotting panel, full hormone level panel, infectious diseases, the list went on and on. Nothing was ever found.

Thought may be just a little short on hormones so we started clomid and climbed the fertility drug chain up to the daily injections of high dose gonatropins, hcg injections, blood thinners and progesterone supplements. This was last summer. During that time, I started having some other issues. My hands and feet would swell and were painful-they blamed it on the hormones. I developed uveities, an inflammation of the eye that I'm still battling. More of my joints became sore and I was so darned tired and just felt sick. They said it was all the fertility drugs.

Last September we were getting ready to do an artificial insemination when I ovulated too early but we had sex one time and ended up pregnant with identical twin girls. Everything progressed great. The joint pain, swelling and tiredness continued but they blamed it on carrying twins. I didn't care, I was pregnant!

In mid December, at 12.5 weeks, a routine ultrasound showed both of my precious babies hearts had stopped beating. I was beyond devastated. Again, chromosome testing showed healthy, identical baby girls. Again, no reason was found.

After losing the twins, I was on the verge of a complete meltdown. My body started to swell all over, everything HURT, I couldn't move my fingers and could barley put shoes on my feet were so swollen. The first two docs I saw just said I was depressed. I KNEW i was depressed but I also KNEW there was something wrong.

Its now 9-10 months later and they still haven't exactly figured out whats wrong. The most probably diagnoses is RA, rheumatoid arthritis. My anti body blood test is negative but I have all the other symptoms and it would explain the miscarriages. My immune system is so revved up that it cant tell healthy tissue from bad tissue and attacks everything. My joints and my babies included.

I learned everything I could about miscarriages during these past few years. Early miscarriages, before 8 weeks are typically hormone related, mostly low progesterone. After that, auto-immune diseases, blood clotting disorders and thyroid issues are next on the list. Even though you did have one healthy baby, I would ask to start some of the fertility testing. If your not comfortable talking about this on line, my email is in my profile.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#284872 - 10/02/06 09:22 AM
tml

I'm so sorry for your losses. I can't imagine how hard the past years have been for you. My daughter has helped me bear my other losses, and I honestly don't know how I would have handled it otherwise, so I am in awe of your strength. I thought the IBS, panic, and miscarriages were a lot to deal with. I can't imagine the constant physical joint pain you're describing as well, and I can't imagine having that many D&Cs. So how are the doctors handling your treatment plan? If they get your RA under control will you be able to start trying again? How is your husband handling all of this? My husband is just now being treated for depression, and I suspect that a big part of his depression was the loss of our babies. He is a wonderful father and husband, but there is even less support for men who go through fertility issues or miscarriages.
As for a work up, I've been told again and again that it's not necessary. I'm going to ask again today at my doctor's appointment, but so far the response has been that this is perfectly normal and I've just had bad luck.
Can I ask if you've had any treatment for your anxiety through all of the fertility treatments or pregnancies? I am anxious about taking something, but right now traveling is excruciatingly hard because of the panic attacks that almost run together they are so close.
I really hope that your doctors are doing everything they can and referring you when they run out of answers, and that your health improves so you can hold your babies. One of the thoughts that has given me some comfort about my miscarriages is that I know that I loved my babies so much, and they deserved that love so much, especially given their short time.
-Tina

#284875 - 10/02/06 09:38 AM
michele

The miscarriages have been the single most difficult thing for me to deal with. My hubby is just now also getting treatment for depression. He is suffering as well and it tears him up to see me suffer so much. The almost constant physical pain from the ra on top of the mental pain from losing my precious babies is almost unbearable some days.

After talking with a new re and the rheumy doc, they don't have real high hopes for me ever carrying a baby. They said if we can get this under control, I could try. I would be on steroids to help the baby fight off my immune system as well as daily shots of blood thinners. I'm 36 now and they say it will take at least 6 more months to begin to get this under control. It may take longer and my clock is ticking. Not to mention, I honestly do not know if I could handle another miscarriage. My heart is still not healed and I'm not sure it ever will be. I still lay awake in bed almost every night thinking about my babies, what they would look like, how big they would be, etc.

My anxiety wasn't really treated other than the low dose of zoloft. I was using some ambien when I knew I wasn't pregnant to help me sleep and an occasional xanax however, neither can be taken when pregnant.

Will you always need to travel or is this something thats just temporary? Xanax works quickly and is great for treating anxiety, it can be habit forming if abused and can not be taken while pregnant.

As far as what testing you decide to do, thats up to you. It is your body. You have had two miscarriages, it just may be a case of bad luck but they can do some simple blood tests to rule out things like hormones, sugar, clotting disorders and thyroid. If your insurance pays for lab work, I would insist on it.

--------------------

#284877 - 10/02/06 09:50 AM
tml

I'm really sorry that they aren't more positive about future pregnancies, but my experience has taught me that doctors don't want to promise or even hint at something that isn't a sure thing, so I would stay positive. It can't hurt, and it might help. As for dealing with your losses and wondering about your babies, I'm sorry it's so hard but that shows how much you loved (and still do love) those babies. I understand feeling like you might not be able to bear one more loss. You don't have to worry about it right now, so you can use this time to take really good care of yourself and your husband. At the very least, your marriage must be pretty strong to withstand so much loss and hardship. Having a husband who was recently diagnosed with depression, that's not easy either. (But it's nice to find someone who has so much in common!)
I will discuss the blood tests with my dr today. Maybe it won't give me any solutions, but why go through loss un-neccessarily? Thanks for the heads up on the medication. I don't typically travel because of my IBS, but my sister recently had a baby, and we need to travel for the baby's baptism. It's only a few hours to Milwaukee, but it was brutally hard last time, and I'm dreading it. Hopefully I'll get some help today.
Hang in there, and please let me know how you are doing.

#284886 - 10/02/06 10:51 AM
michele

Thanks for the encouragement. I think I'm having an extra hard time at the moment because I'm having a really bad ra flare and I'm on a really high dose of steroids which cause irritability and depression. Just makes everything that much harder to deal with. We haven't decided if we will try again or not. Right now, just trying to get healthy and hubby's trying to get back on track also. He just started effexor and they found him to be a quart or two low on testosterone so he is using a supplement for that as well.

I hope you doctors appt goes well today and your travels to Milwaukee are uneventful!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1007 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3499

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review