All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Okay, like you guys need one more preggo question, right? LOL
      #284527 - 09/29/06 01:10 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I've been AWOL for a while. Things have been insane here. Hubby has been flying across the country every week for interviews and such and we ran into a dead end with all of them. Very frustrating, but at least, for now, we don't have to move again. So here's my question:

We both want to start a family so badly, and together we make enough to support one. I know you can take Acacia fiber while your pregnant, but what else can safely be taken to control symptoms. I make half of our income so if IBS keeps me from working, we're screwed.

I nanny for a great family who have already mentioned if we start a family I could still watch their daughter with my own baby there, too. And their daughter is such a wonderful cutie pie. I love her to pieces.

We're both in our late twenties, still young, yes, but the days keep ticking by and who knows if hubby will ever get that dream job (probably not). It's a very competitive field and some bad choices back in the day disqualifies him from many of the open jobs. Of course, I'll be talking to my doc about it, but I was just wondering if any of you ladies have any ideas. Docs don't know much about IBS in general (as you all know).

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Okay, like you guys need one more preggo question, right? LOL new
      #284541 - 09/29/06 01:42 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I was wondering where you'd gotten to. Have you checked out the pregnancy sticky note on the diet board? That might answer some questions. My doctor said that Imodium was perfectly safe, but said that prescription anti-spasmodics weren't. However, I believe that other people have been told that Bentyl is safe during pregnancy, so this might be one of those things that varies from doctor to doctor. (If you take Donnatal, though, that is definitely not safe.)

How well do you tolerate vitamins? Pre-natals typically have extra iron so they can actually be constipating. I used to take PrimaCare One prenatals and though they were expensive they were the only prenatal w/ iron that caused absolutely no side effects. I ended up switching to a cheap store brand because of cost, and the iron did upset my stomach a little bit. (I haven't taken them in months though.)

Pregnancy can definitely aggravate IBS, but unfortunately, you don't know how much until you get there. It seems like for most women the symptoms get aggravated during the first trimester but ease off after that. I think all the women who've gotten pregnant and had babies lately have all been Cs, though. I think that Cara4503 was a D, but she hasn't posted for a long time -- you can try reading some of her old posts to see how she did during the early days of her pregnancy. I don't remember offhand how her IBS did, just that she had really severe morning sickness.

If you guys decide to go for it, good luck! I think you're right not to wait until your husband has a "dream job". I totally believe in waiting for more favorable circumstances, but if you wait for ideal circumstances, you'll probably never have kids.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#284543 - 09/29/06 01:42 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Are you c or d?? What other symptoms do yo have that would need to be addressed. Remember, a lot of girls seem to find a relief from their ibs while pregnant!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

I'm a D with... new
      #284547 - 09/29/06 02:11 PM
hohoyumyum

all the dressings. The good news is that I have been stable for quite some time. But I fully expect to have a change in sypmtoms (prepare-for-the-worst thing going for me). I take Acacia fiber, which helps tremendously, and stay active (also a big help). I also take L-Glutamine which I've read time and again you can't take if you're pregnant. And that sucks to know. The L-Glutamine keeps my BMs pain free. I also take Imodium when needed, but any more, it's maybe twice a month and only if there is going to be some big commitment I can't miss out on. It's more of a safety net than anything else. The other thing that helps a lot is my BC, which obviously I won't be taking when we decide to get pregnant.

I sure hope I am one of those people whose IBS goes into remission while I pregnant. Oh, to be able to eat cheese. Sweet, wonderful cheese, I miss you so. LOL

--------------------

#284552 - 09/29/06 02:27 PM
hms05

Reged: 09/14/06

My IBS wasn't a big problem when I was pregnant. I think pregnancy can help esp. if you're problem is D b/c pregnancy often slows your digestion. That said I don't think I've ever been constipated in my life (I have IBS-D) and wasn't when I was pregnant. I did have occasional D but my doc said Imodium was OK to take.

You should still be able to manage your IBS when you become pregnant but do be aware your symptoms might change.

I had a flare up postpartum so watch out for that.

#284561 - 09/29/06 03:02 PM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I was C when I was pregnant, so I was miserable, because pregnancy hormones tend to slow down your digestive system so that ALL nutrients can be used for your baby. You, being D, may find that your symptoms ease up a bit during your pregnancy.

Talk to your OB about your concerns and figure out ahead of time what you can/can't take. That should ease some of the unknowns.

For me, it was worth every painful day.

--------------------
~jules

Edited by jules (09/30/06 02:01 PM)

#284578 - 09/29/06 05:32 PM
hohoyumyum

Quote:

For me, it was worth every painful day.

Thanks

--------------------

#284588 - 09/29/06 07:20 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

I'm an IBS D who's pregnant. I didn't find my symptoms getting any better or worse during my pregnancy. The thing that's been really bad is my reflux. The prenatals are hard to take... if I'm out of town (and don't have my own bathroom) I don't take them. I dunno, there's never a perfect time to have a baby, so if you all are ready emotionally and financially, I say go for it. I'm always amazed what I find I can deal with physically.

Thanks everyone new
      #284703 - 09/30/06 08:19 PM
hohoyumyum

Thanks. We feel like we're ready, but who knows until you get there, right? I feel pretty confident that I'll be able to remain stable enough to get through each day. And my husband is so supportive, I'm lucky to be with him.

Thanks for all the ideas.

--------------------

#284710 - 09/30/06 08:58 PM
tml

Reged: 02/06/05

I found that my employers were way more understanding about bathroom trips once I was pregnant... it was one of the easiest times to deal with IBS in a public/ work setting. Good luck!

#284798 - 10/01/06 05:28 PM
hohoyumyum

I'm lucky when it comes to bathrooms at work. I nanny for a family in their house. I just take their daughter with me whenever I have to go to (she's 15 months).

--------------------

#284824 - 10/01/06 08:55 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

I'm also a D and recently went to an obgyn for a consultation, because we want to start trying next year. I asked the doc specifically about immodium, and she said it and my antidepressants were safe to take during pregnancy. I don't take immodium more than once or twice a month, but it was nice to know I could if push comes to shove!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

#284843 - 10/02/06 05:38 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I am ususally C and in the beginning I was A. I couldn't go for a few days and then Bam I had D. But I also stopped taking Acacia and then started it back up when I got the doc's ok. I have been pretty good so far with a few days where I haven't gone but as the pregnancy has progressed I can eat things I normally couldn't and I have been taking advantage of that! I would say go for it. The few months of of discomfort is worth the end result! Good Luck!

#284858 - 10/02/06 07:50 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

A couple of thoughts, hon. First, you CAN be pregnant and stable. Especially when you hit the second trimester, things are likely to be much better as the baby puts pressure on your digestive system and slows it down. You may feel icky for the first while, but hey. Almost all pregnant women do - but you have the advantage of the What to eat when you can't eat anything! diet, and ginger tea, and saltines, - think of yourself one step ahead!
Also, I believe there's never a perfect time to have kids. Of course it is wise to plan things carefully, but if your job is babysitting at home, I'm sure you could manage that and still have the baby. Besides, you can get a job as a sitter anywhere, no matter if your husband gets a job and you have to move.
XOXO, A.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#284879 - 10/02/06 09:52 AM
tml

Reged: 02/06/05

I try really hard not to take anything when pregnant, but my doctor said that immodium was quite safe because it was only in the gut, rather than throughout the bloodstream. It was a lifesaver on occasion.

#285239 - 10/04/06 05:59 PM
hohoyumyum

Quote:

Besides, you can get a job as a sitter anywhere, no matter if your husband gets a job and you have to move.

That's so right. I've nannied with so many families and there is always someone, somewhere, who needs to be taken care of.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3593 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2578

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review