All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Pamine???
      #283638 - 09/23/06 11:58 AM
Sepi

Reged: 09/23/06
Loc: LA, CA

Hi. Is anyone here who has ever been prescribed the drug PAMINE for IBS? I've been on this medication for over 3 years. My husband and I want to start a family and I'm curious if there are any moms out there who used Pamine while pregnant and if everything turned out ok! I have talked to different doctors, but I can't get a straight answer... they all say it's better to be off all medications, but they don't have an alternative that works for me. Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Pamine??? new
      #283823 - 09/25/06 08:55 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I've not heard of this drug, is there another name for it? What specifically are you using it for?

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#283848 - 09/25/06 11:54 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

It's an antispasmodic. I believe Pamine Forte is the full name. I was on it, and I like it, but I quit taking it when I got pregnant. My ob/gyn said that taking it occasionally was ok... but I decided I was ok to do with out. Just to be safe.

#283868 - 09/25/06 02:07 PM
Sepi

Thank you for your reply chinagrl. How long were you on Pamine? And how did you feel when you got off of it? I'm so terrified of not taking it anymore. I take it 2x a day with lunch and dinner, and a couple of times I tried to skip it and the results were terrible. I felt sick for days with severe stomach pain, nausia, and not being able to eat anything. Did you take any alternatives while you were pregnant?

#283871 - 09/25/06 02:32 PM
Sepi

As far as I know it's called Pamine, but I've seen others refer to it as Pamine Forte. Not sure if it's different version of the same drug. I'm not even sure what I take it for. My GI prescribed it to me about 3 years ago. At that point I was so sick with IBS I thought I was going to die from malnutrition. I could not eat ANYTHING. Anything I ate made me nauseous, gave me stomach pain and I felt like my stomach was on fire. With Pamine these symptoms have been more under control... but I still deal with symptoms not as bad, but on a daily basis. I just don't know how to go through 9 months of pregnancy without any help from my meds!!!

#283896 - 09/25/06 05:17 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

It seems like I took it a lot less than you do. I was on an "as needed" basis- only when I was having a severe attack. I had been on it for a few years. I found that my nausea was linked to my GERD, not my IBS, and if I take my Nexium I'm ok with that (have you been tested for GERD? Your symptoms sound more like that than IBS to me- but I'm not a doctor). Now, Nexium is apparently also debatable, as far as safety goes, but I was told by my OB that it was fine. It's not in the same drug category as the Pamine or my Migraine medicine. I think it comes down to a personal decision, as these are drugs where they just *don't know* how it might affect a baby. A lot of women stop taking Nexium during pregnancy, but I couldn't do that. I'm still up a bunch of nights with terrible reflux even with the Nexium. The fact that the antispasmodics are supposed to be a really occasional thing makes me think that taking it twice everyday is not a good idea, but again it's up to you.

The fact is that pregnancy is pretty uncomfortable. Some people find that all their IBS symptoms go away, I didn't, and I got a whole host of new problems (like a never ending back ache) that really suck. But ultimately I think it will be worth it in December, and I wanted to make medical choices I was comfortable with for when I get there.

Good luck.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1484 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1381

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review