All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Dog owners..need answer to dog....
      #281554 - 09/10/06 04:17 PM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

Calling all dog owners. I have a question about my dog. She is a spayed female,german shepard/husky mix(more shepard)and just turned 11 years old today. she has been leaving puddles on the floor where ever she lays. Mind you though it is not all the time. Another thing I have noticed is that she seems to be panting more and it is not hot out! It seems as if she doesn't even realize she is leaving puddles then of course when she gets up, she drips a trail. I am chaulking it up to old age... does anyone elses dog do this...and what do you think it is? I am calling the vet tomorrow for an appt. thanks take care Sue

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Dog owners..need answer to dog.... new
      #281556 - 09/10/06 04:45 PM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

We had a little yorkshire terrier and he was doing the same thing... It wasn't the fact that he was sick persay, he just couldn't hold it in anymore like he used to.. Also our little guy was 16 when this started happening...

#281558 - 09/10/06 04:56 PM
suzyq

Thanks for answering. So he was 16! So it was an age thing? Did it happen all the time or just sometimes? Sue

#281560 - 09/10/06 05:15 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

I would call a vet. They would know better what to do. I had a dog that started doing that. I ignored it and she had a stroke and died. Don't mean to imply that that would happen necessarily but things like that shouldn't be overlooked. I learned my lesson.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#281563 - 09/10/06 05:26 PM
suzyq

Thanks, sorry to hear about your dog. It's too bad the dogs can't tell us what is wrong. I am going to call the vet tomorrow. take care Sue

#281565 - 09/10/06 06:40 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

Could be incontinence due to her old age, or it could be a bladder infection. I had an aging cat that was leaving puddles around, which was not a normal thing for her as she never had accidents. I had the vet take a urine sample and sure enough, a bladder infection. Cured it with antibiotics.

In addition to a complete physical exam, have your vet test for a bladder infection and any other tests she can do regarding the renal system to rule out infections. If nothing turns up abnormal, then it is probably due to her old age.

I truly hope it's nothing serious! Hope she is better soon

#281580 - 09/11/06 04:48 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Hi there!

I agree you should call the vet and have your dog examined. If it is a treatable problem it is probably best to start as soon as possible. And if it is from old age then the vet can give you advice about that and also check if there are other age related problems. 11 is pretty old for bigger dog breeds so...

I hope everything turns out ok.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#281691 - 09/11/06 05:00 PM
ArmyWife87

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: Canada - East Coast

My dog had that as well, only when she was younger. In her case it was a urinary tract infection. So, like everyone else recommnends, you should probably take her to the vet.

I know how worried we get about our pets, especially as they get older. I was paranoid about everything with our dog since she was 11. Unfortunately we just recently lost her...but she lived to the ripe old age of 14. Good age for a dog and she was also a shepherd husky lab mix.

Good luck, i'm sure all is well.

--------------------
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

#281739 - 09/12/06 07:42 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I agree with ArmyWife87, it's possibly a UTI. I have a husky (see above to the left ) and am continually amused by his antics.

I hope your darling dog is ok. {{{HUGS}}}

~nelly~

Thank you to all... new
      #281835 - 09/12/06 12:04 PM
suzyq

Thanks to all that have answered and are concerned. I have made an appt. with the vet and am having her checked. Thnks again. Take care. Sue

#281879 - 09/12/06 03:52 PM
ArmyWife87

Hi Nelly,

I've meant to comment before....your dog is absolutely beautiful

--------------------
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

Hey, thanks! new
      #281881 - 09/12/06 04:10 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Thank you. His name is Kodiak and he's three. His latest thing is plastic gatorade bottles. I put the same kibble in them that he ignores all day in his bowl, and he goes nuts getting the nuggets all out.

Some dogs are such clowns. He makes me laugh every day. I secretly believe he is really a cat. Or somehow made of cats. Have you thought of getting a new dog?

~nelly~

Re: Hey, thanks! new
      #282098 - 09/13/06 04:57 PM
ArmyWife87

Heck yeh, many times. I even have various names picked out...how sad is that.

But, we're kinda in the stage in life where my last child will likely be gone after he graduates this year and I'm not sure about the committment of a new pet. Then of course I see all the dogs being walked and of course hearing wonderful stories like yours and the goofy things they do, makes me really want to get another one. This has been the longest period i've been without a pet.

So hubby and I go back and forth and think maybe we'll just foster some dogs from the SPCA for a while...we'll get our fix periodically. And it helps that I'm the local dog sitter in the area. My last favour consisted of a rottweiler lab cross (3yrs) and a shephard husky (7yrs) together I might add. That was an experience and a half, let me tell you!!!!

So...whenever you wish to share Kodiak's trials and tribulations....I'll be here to chuckle with you

ps...and judging by his pic, his name really suits him.

Take care

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2688 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1930

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review