All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Surgery Thursday.....
      #281417 - 09/09/06 11:11 AM
nuggs1968

Reged: 06/26/06

Am trying to stay busy today and keep my mind off my surgery this coming Thursday. Am a bit nervous. For those who don't know....I'm having to have my right ovary removed because of a "mass" the size of a tennis ball. May possibly have to have a total hysterectomy. I know I will feel better than I have been once this thing is out of me. They don't think it's cancer....blood levels are normal. But, will not know until they test the "mass". I'm still kind of in shock. Tired. Some pain. Am doing a little light housecleaning this weekend before I have my surgery. I guess I just needed to come here and talk a bit. I'm going to have to tape Survivor in case I miss it. The new season starts the evening of the day of my surgery. Hubby and I love that show. Hubby is planning on taking some time off work. He is at our mountain property working this weekend since he won't be up there next weekend. So it's just me and my dog here now.

Well, I guess I've rambled enough. Thanks for being here for me. {{{{hugs to you all}}}

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pre-surgery distractions new
      #281422 - 09/09/06 11:44 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

It's hard to have time to yourself before surgery. Lots of time to think and worry. Have you done some research on the Internet to see what to expect after the operation? You might find a story of someone who's been there done that.

In the meantime, have you seen any good TV lately? There was a report on one of those night time tv shows on a lady who couldn't recognize people's faces. She couldn't recognize her kid when she picked him up from school (it turns out it wasn't her kid!)!

So this was cool for me because my grandmother couldn't recognize faces well and neither can I really. I ran into a girl at a club once and couldn't remember who she was. She'd been my roommate for a year (yikes!!).

Besides Survivor, which shows are you following now? I've been watching Lost, but am getting annoyed by it because it moves so slowly!! Still, I *have* to watch it when it starts back up in October...

~nelly~

Re: Surgery Thursday..... new
      #281425 - 09/09/06 12:05 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I hope everything goes OK for you. Check out the Hyster Sisters website -- I've spent a lot of time there and they have a TON of information, pretty much anything you need to know.

Don't overdo the housecleaning ... but, at the same time, I always like to have the house clean before surgery -- it drives me nuts when I'm lying on the couch feeling awful and I have to stare at the layers of cat hair on the carpet.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#281433 - 09/09/06 12:39 PM
nuggs1968

thanks Jen....I ran across the Hyster Sisters web site in my hysterectomy serches. They do have a lot of good info there. Also, my sister in law just called me. She is a surgical nurse, so she was able to calm my nerves about alot of things.
{{{hugs}}}

Re: Pre-surgery distractions new
      #281434 - 09/09/06 12:43 PM
nuggs1968

thanks nelly....
not too much good on TV right now. I didn't see that one you spoke of about not being able to recognize people's faces. That would be strange. I saw 20/20 about conjoined twins that was interesting. I was watching Treasure Hunters and So You Think You Can Dance, but those are over now. Maybe hubby and I will start watching Amazing Race along with Survivor. My brother has a huge DVD collection, so am going to borrow some. Daytime TV is terrible.

Bad TV new
      #281435 - 09/09/06 12:57 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I agree about daytime TV. Do you have cable? Maybe it might be worth it. My BF bought me cable TV and a Tivo when I got really sick about a year and a half ago, when I was diagnosed with fibro.

Ugh, my a/c went out. We've been scrambling around in the heat trying to set up fans, etc to cool the place down. Finally, we've just relocated into BF's room and put every available fan pointed at us. What a mess!

Oh, I've been trying to watch Dr. Phil and Oprah lately. Seems Dr. Phil's guests get younger and younger, and Oprah is running out of things to give people. Guess I've been watching too long.

~nelly~

Re: Bad TV new
      #281450 - 09/09/06 04:07 PM
nuggs1968

We do have cable TV, but still not much on.

Sorry it is so hot where you are at. We got rain today and the high temp was around 60°. I love it! I don't like the heat. We have the flannel sheets back on our bed already.

#281457 - 09/09/06 04:52 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I'll be thinking of you!! It's a terrible thing to go through, but hopefully you'll be in less pain after the mass is gone (and you're healed up of course). I'm counting down too - my endoscope is the 21st and my foot surgery is the 25th.

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#281465 - 09/09/06 06:21 PM
nuggs1968

thanks! good luck to you, too. You'll be in my thoughts

Re: Surgery Thursday new
      #281481 - 09/09/06 08:06 PM
Lumiere

Reged: 06/30/06
Loc: New England

My sister had the same surgery...she ended up having only the ovary removed, as the mass had "eaten" it...hers was the size of a grapefruit. Prior to her surgery, she had to really push for more testing (and 2 OB-GYNs) who each had differing opinions. It is wonderful that your husband will be taking care of you, as the real healing begins at home. If I had any advice for you (I looked after my sister) is to be patient with yourself, and your healing process. Allow yourself to be taken care of. Warm wishes...

--------------------
Amy
IBS-A
Stable and thankful!

#281490 - 09/10/06 06:40 AM
nuggs1968

thank you.....i'm really nervous today. Trying to calm down. I was told by a lady I know..."just put everything in God's hands." But I don't know how to do that.

#281546 - 09/10/06 02:16 PM
Lumiere

Reged: 06/30/06
Loc: New England

Have you ever tried to meditate? You can try by creating a peaceful, beautiful corner in your house. Maybe a mantra about your health (especially your ovary!) would be a wonderful place to start. I know that envisioning the area that needs an "energy change" does help...and also may give you a more peaceful sense of control. I too find it difficult to give things to God, and this may be more appropriate for you. Even start for 5 mins...concentrate only on your breath and those words to focus on your ovaries. It may sound crazy, but it's a different way of looking at things. Hugs!

--------------------
Amy
IBS-A
Stable and thankful!

#281555 - 09/10/06 04:31 PM
nuggs1968

thanks for the suggestion.....I'll give it a try. I'm a little bit calmer this evening. I visited a Christian Chat site that gave me a different perspective as well. A little bit of everything can't hurt. {{{hugs}}}

#281607 - 09/11/06 08:48 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Good luck sweetie. I an only imagine how anxious you must be but I'm sure everything will work out ok. Love and hugs

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

thanks michele {{{hugs}}} -nt- new
      #281626 - 09/11/06 10:15 AM
nuggs1968

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3479 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2303

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review