All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Silly questions: can you guys help?
      #280514 - 08/31/06 12:00 PM
Brendarific

Reged: 03/14/04
Loc: The Northwest 'Burbs Of Chicago, IL

I don't know if there are others out there like me (some would hope not, ha ha), but I really don't have any "girly chit-chat" friends to ask these silly questions to, and some are directly related to IBS. This might actually be fun!

How much do you generally tip at a restaurant if the service is "just OK?"

If you have a cleaning service, how much, if any, do you tip? (Trust me, having someone clean my house is my only luxury!)

If you're going somewhere new, do you freak out because you may not know where the restrooms are?

If you're going somewhere in the car, do you immediately have to go to the bathroom? This often happens to me. I think it's because my body knows there's not a bathroom to be found!

If someone sneaks up behind you and scares you, does your stomach do an instant IBS attack response?

If you jog or walk quickly, does it trigger your IBS?

Has anyone found a good kitty litter that doesn't track across the floor? I have to clean my bathroom floor every day because of the cat tracks! Has anyone tried that natural stuff (I think it's made of corn or something)?

See, I told you these were odd questions! Anyone?

--------------------
It's never too late to be what you might have been.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Silly questions: can you guys help? new
      #280519 - 08/31/06 12:15 PM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

Quote:

I don't know if there are others out there like me (some would hope not, ha ha), but I really don't have any "girly chit-chat" friends to ask these silly questions to, and some are directly related to IBS. This might actually be fun!

I tip about 20% if the service is ok. But I tend to overtip because I feel bad for the waitstaff working their butts off to make pennies.

If you have a cleaning service, how much, if any, do you tip? (Trust me, having someone clean my house is my only luxury!)

I wish I had a cleaning service!!!

If you're going somewhere new, do you freak out because you may not know where the restrooms are?
Yes, sometimes, but my BF is good at calming me down

If you're going somewhere in the car, do you immediately have to go to the bathroom? This often happens to me. I think it's because my body knows there's not a bathroom to be found!
Happens to me all the time!!
If someone sneaks up behind you and scares you, does your stomach do an instant IBS attack response?
Ohhh - can't say that has happened to me.
I wouldn't say it triggers it - it HELPS is a better way to put it - gets things moving and calms down the grumbles usually
Has anyone found a good kitty litter that doesn't track across the floor? I have to clean my bathroom floor every day because of the cat tracks! Has anyone tried that natural stuff (I think it's made of corn or something)?

Good luck and let me know if you find one. I am yet to find one that wont track...

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#280522 - 08/31/06 12:21 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

-Typically I tip a dollar for every 5. If the service was less, I tip less! Like on a $40 bill, I'd normally tip $8, if it was just ok, maybe $6-7 dollars.

-I've only ever had a cleaning service once, a few years ago when my leg was in a cast. It was a commercial company we got out of the phone book and it was different girls each time. I didn't tip anything, didn't know I was supposed to! They only came out 3 times or so and it was always different girls and honestly, I wasn't at all impressed with the job they did.

-YUP!

-Definitely if its in the morning or I just ate. Our bodies can be evil!

-Yep! I'm also sensitive to heat and loud noises in general!

-I have other health issues that prevent me from moving fast but I've never noticed anything like that at all.

-I use the cheap, tidy cat stuff. However, I do put the box on a throw rug which seems to collect most of the escaping cat litter before it gets too far!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#280543 - 08/31/06 01:47 PM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

Oh, frivolous chit-chat! Right up my alley!

Although I've never been a waitress myself, I do work in the food service industry so I think I may be a little overly senstive to tipping. I think 12% is a minimum. I'm usually around 15-18% for good service, and 20-25% for excellent service.

If you have a cleaning service, how much, if any, do you tip?
Never had a cleaning service. Do you have to tip them? Who don't you tip anymore?!

I used to. But now that I am stable, I don't think twice about it!

If you're going somewhere in the car, do you immediately have to go to the bathroom?
Haven't had to deal with this one much.

Can't say that it ever has. However, other things are have been known to trigger an immediate attack.

It doesn't trigger an attack in me. It actually helps me a great deal. Especially since one of my main symptoms is gas and bloating. Actually when I was at my worst the best thing I could do for myself was walk on the treadmill.

Has anyone found a good kitty litter that doesn't track across the floor?
Sorry, can't help on this one. All of our cats are outdoors. Good luck though!

--------------------
IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

#280562 - 08/31/06 04:28 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Um, I can help on a couple...

Tipping at a restaurant - if it's mediocre service leave a mediocre tip!! We leave a dollar or two if it was bad.
If it was good 10% to 15%.

Yep, my stomache will react with an attack if I get startled or really scared.

Best of luck!!

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

On the subject of tipping... new
      #280606 - 09/01/06 08:48 AM
Karen18

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: Near Philadelphia, PA

There seems to be a new trend where stores that hire teenagers have a "tip" jar set-up next to the cash register. I find this very annoying, especially considering that the employees do not provide any real services. Am I being wrong to feel this way? I don't think it would go over too big if I set-up a tip jar in my cube at work!

Re: On the subject of tipping... new
      #280608 - 09/01/06 09:03 AM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

I agree! Tip jars are very tacky and I do get annoyed by them. There has to be a point where you draw the line with tipping.

The restaurant chain that I work for does not allow tip jars although I know a few probably slip by. We do allow them to put one out at one of our locations located on a college campus. They are open until 3 a.m. and deal with a lot of drunk, unruly customers. We figure they deserve tips if anyone is willing to give them!

--------------------
IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

#280609 - 09/01/06 09:08 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Quote:

How much do you generally tip at a restaurant if the service is "just OK?" Probably 15%. I normally tip 20-25%.

If you have a cleaning service, how much, if any, do you tip? (Trust me, having someone clean my house is my only luxury!) I've always heard 10-15% but it's optional. If in doubt, call the cleaning service and ask them. I'm sure their employees don't make much, but at the same time, I'm pretty sure that it's not like wait-staff who are paid next to nothing because their tips are supposed to make up for it. And I wouldn't tip the cleaning service unless they were doing a really good job.

If you're going somewhere new, do you freak out because you may not know where the restrooms are? Yes. Mainly because of unknown factors, like if it's going to be clean, or out of toilet paper, or non-functional locks.

If you're going somewhere in the car, do you immediately have to go to the bathroom? This often happens to me. I think it's because my body knows there's not a bathroom to be found! No, but sometimes I get trapped-in-moving-car-with-no-bathroom anxiety.

If someone sneaks up behind you and scares you, does your stomach do an instant IBS attack response? No. But sometimes I scream like a girl.

If you jog or walk quickly, does it trigger your IBS? exercise in generally usually sends me to the bathroom.

Has anyone found a good kitty litter that doesn't track across the floor? I have to clean my bathroom floor every day because of the cat tracks! Has anyone tried that natural stuff (I think it's made of corn or something)? yesterday I just filled one of the litterboxes with that stuff! There are several different types of "natural" litter -- I'm not sure what mine is, other than that it's supposed to have "refreshing pine scent" but is more like "refreshing pine air-freshener stuck in someone's dirty shoes". So far they're only using the litter box with the "normal" kitty litter, so no idea about the tracking yet.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

yeah, I hate that too new
      #280610 - 09/01/06 09:15 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

because they make me feel guilty for not putting anything in there, but yet if I'm already paying way too much for something, why do I need to put even more in a jar when all someone did was give me back my change????

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: On the subject of tipping... new
      #280632 - 09/01/06 11:27 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Extremely tacky!! I haven't seen much of that here, but I have noticed at the restaurants and such, even if you are just picking up coffee to go - the server expects a tip. Last weekend Thomas and I stopped at a truck stop for a drink while on the motorcycles. The waitress didn't come back with Thomas' change so we went to the counter - I guess she thought $1.75 was a fair tip for a $3.25 bill!

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1821 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1827

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review