Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Yikes! Hair Disaster - Help??
      #280229 - 08/28/06 11:24 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi guys,

I need some help! Today I went to the hair dresser because a while ago I let my sister cut and colour my hair and I really didn't like it. The colour went *really* red, which I don't like because it looks awful against my skin tone and the cut was so uneven I literally had inches of difference that I tried to correct myself, but thought it was about time to see a pro.
So I went and the guy seemed great, he explained how he needed to use an "ash" colour to cut the red and because it would fade, we should go one shade darker than I wanted it to be... which all sounded great until...
My hair is now *BLACK*. Like really black. I keep catching glimpses of myself and with my pale skin, I look almost gothic which isn't me at all!
I looked on the internet and it said to get clarifying shampoo (but it's like 11 pm here) or to try washing with Dawn, dish liquid to bring some of the colour out.
I have washed once with regular shampoo and once with just our no-name brand dish liquid.. and it still is like blue-black.
The sites also said you could repair it with a pro by bleaching the colour out and re-dying it but this would be really drastic (and expensive!!) for me as I am sure that would just make my hair fall out as I have never done well with any lightening products.

Any other advice or tips?? (Other than my most recent plan, of wearing more hats ???).

I guess I will wash it a few times tomorrow and see if I can't get it lighter, and if not I will call the hairdresser and see what he says...
Bah, I wish I had just left it alone before I coloured it the first time... stupid, stupid, stupid...

Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Yikes! Hair Disaster - Help?? new
      #280230 - 08/29/06 01:42 AM
Blondie13

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Sheffield, England

Oh no!

Not sure how much help it'll be. but the best shampoo to get hair colour out fast is a bog standard anti-dandruff shampoo, like Head n Shoulders.

Other than that I think you're struggling - I know tricks to rectify ginger or blonde dye traumas, but going black's a bit beyond my experience!

You should go back to the people who have made it black - they are morally, and if it's the same as the UK, legally obliged to sort it out - they can't exactly deny it's not what you asked for!

--------------------
http://ibsblondie13.blogspot.com/

#280234 - 08/29/06 05:24 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Been there, but mine was PURPLE, and I was white blonde when it was done.

You can try soaking your hair in lemon juice to help highlight it and lighten it, but sweetie, go back to the hair dresser and either get him to through a lightener through it - for FREEE - or get all of your money back and go see another hair dresser!

You can try to remedy it yourself, but speaking from experience - I tried a home lightening kit - I sat in the bathtub bawling my eyes out as my hair went from purple to flame orange.

Best of luck!!!

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#280236 - 08/29/06 05:48 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I wouldn't try any home remedies---I'd either go back to the same place, maybe ask for a different stylist (I've done that before, and ended up with someone I stayed with for years), or go to a different place. If they can't lighten it without ruining your hair, maybe they can add some lowlights to break it up a bit. Whenever I've had my hair dark, and wanted instant change, my stylist now (who I've been going to for 7 years) always told me that it would be bad for my hair to do that. Good luck!

--------------------

#280269 - 08/29/06 08:51 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I agree, I wouldn't try anything but washing it and call the hairdresser today! They should fix it for free but if you try putting whatever in it, it may make it harder for them to fix. Call them right away, don't wait.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Update: Called the salon new
      #280305 - 08/29/06 02:05 PM
Stephie

Hey all,

Thanks for the tips! After reading all your posts, I thought you were all right and I called the hair dressing place I went to. She said that because the pigment is so dark now, there is nothing I can do colour wise unless I want to strip it out and damage my hair really badly.
She also suggested using dish liquid, and to try that shampoo that you use to get chlorine out of your hair if you swim a lot.
I went to the store and got the chlorine stuff, as well as some other cheap shampoo.
I washed my hair twice in dish liquid and then twice in the chlorine stuff and so far no change.
I am really bummed out about it.
I have a job interview tomorrow and he also cut my bangs in a way that I really hate and they are so much shorter than I can't really do anything with them. Oy.
What a nightmare. I am just going to keep washing my hair over and over and see if I can get it out. Meanwhile, from all this harsh stuff (I usually only use really moisturizing stuff as I have dry hair), my hair feels like damanged straw!
Bah!

Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Maybe you should call another place? new
      #280314 - 08/29/06 03:29 PM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I've never heard of this dish washing thing. I mean, it sounds valid as a "home remedy" but I can't see a professional suggesting that. Which surprises me, because I've been getting my hair colored in one way or another for about 15 years and I've had times where it's too dark and no professional has ever suggested that. And what is the chlorine stuff supposed to do??

Number one--don't go back there--ever!
Number 2--I still think you should be able to add highlights or something. Maybe you DO need to wait a bit, but maybe in a week I'd go somewhere else and explain the situation. Just think how much you'll love it when you DO get it fixed.

By the way--it probably doesn't look as bad as you think. We are always our worst critics. I've had coloring jobs where I thought it was bad, (years ago), and my husband, (boyfriend at the time) said..."You got your hair colored?"

--------------------

Re: Maybe you should call another place? new
      #280344 - 08/30/06 07:17 AM
michele

I once got a bug up my butt and tried to dye my hair from its dyed blonde color to a warm brown, it ended up GREEN-I mean GREEN!! Of course it was like 10pm on a Friday night and I had to work Saturday morning! I braided it and put a hat on and went to a salon right after work. They had to put powder bleach in it to strip it and than dye it DARK, almost black to cover it up. It took me years to get my hair healthy again!

Bad hair just plain sucks but its probably not as bad as you think it is. How about posting a picture? Maybe buying a new shade of make-up will help it look a bit better? Big headbands are in style and they will help cover up bad bangs! I'm growing my bangs out right now and I have a zillion headbands I wear!

--------------------

Re: Update: Called the salon new
      #280350 - 08/30/06 07:30 AM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

Stephie I am so sorry that you are having this bad experience. In my opinion, hair is a pain in the butt. More days than not I wish that women were like guys when it comes to hair. I HATE doing my hair. Really sad considering my mother is a hair dresser! You would think I would have inherited some of the desire.

I don't have any great tips for your hair, but what about trying a self tanner on your face? If you feel like the contrast betwen your hair color and skin color is too drastic, that might be a good step. I use Lancome self tanner every other night on my face, shoulders, and upper chest. It gives good color but not enough that you see a line from where you applied it to where you didn't. Just an idea. We are our own worst critics so I'm sure it looks better than you think it does. Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

#280354 - 08/30/06 07:46 AM
Blondie13

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Sheffield, England

I once used a hair colour meant for use on brown hair on my naturally pale blonde hair - it went BRIGHT orange! It was supposed to last for 6 washes only, but stayed for nearly 6 weeks!

Unfortunatley in that 6 week period I had to get a new passport, so my passport had a pic of me with the most unhuman orange hair for 5 years... Luckily I got a new one last year, thank God!

--------------------
http://ibsblondie13.blogspot.com/

Green?? Yikes! new
      #280405 - 08/30/06 11:41 AM
Stephie

Oh Michele, I would have gone NUTS if that had happened to me. In fact, at first when my hair was so dark I wanted to run out and get another dye or something but just imagined turning my hair green or blue or something and that's what stopped me!
I will try and get a pic posted later on today, after my interview.. I am working with it right now and actually pulling it back and pinning my bangs back doesn't make it look quite so dark as when it is all loose around my face.
And thank god for big headbands! I like them anyway, but they will come in especially useful now! I am going to get some good ones - I bought a package of three cheap ones and they keep sliding off my head which is really irritating!

Am also about to go experiment with make up. The good news is, the dark hair makes my eyes look pretty blue which is nice... right??

Steph

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

Self tanner! new
      #280406 - 08/30/06 11:44 AM
Stephie

Hi there,

Thanks! Yeah, I am pretty bummed out about it but I just have to try and find ways to make it work for me, I guess.
I think the self-tanner is a great idea. I almost got some to use yesterday, but I thought better to wait until after my interview in case I mess it up and have black hair and orange skin.
Thanks for the brand suggestion too, as I wouldn't have known what to look for. I have that Jergens daily glow stuff or whatever, and it works on my body but I don't think it's for your face and my skin is really sensitive. I think I will take a trip to the drug store later today.

Yeah, other people have said it's not that bad.. after their first, "Woah, what happened??" reactions. Today I have pulled it back and clipped my bangs up and it looks a little lighter.. And it doesn't make my face look so bright white as when it is down around my shoulders.

Here's hoping it fades some more!

Steph

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

#280407 - 08/30/06 11:48 AM
Stephie

Hey!

Yeah, the dish liquid thing surprised me too.. I mean, finding it on the internet was one thing but a hairdresser? And actually, when she said it she said, "I am probably giving like the anti-hairdresser/worste advice ever but..." and then said to try dish liquid.
Apparently the chlorine stuff is stripping, so it will pull some of the colour.. Like, on the bottle is says *not* to use it with coloured hair. It is making my hair feel like straw, though.

I will definitely not go back there. I do have a girl I like at another salon that is farther away, so I plan to go there and see if she can suggest something. And like you said, I'll probably wait 'til my days off *next* week so it has time to settle down and maybe fade a bit on it's own and then see about getting some high lights to break it up some.

You're probably right, I think I am also just more shocked by it 'cause it's so dark. Adrian says it looks fine, and I should just leave it so I don't do more damage and get more upset..

Off to get ready for this interview!
Thanks for the tips, I'll let you know how it goes!
**hugs**
Steph

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

Re: Green?? Yikes! new
      #280411 - 08/30/06 11:54 AM
michele

Yipe, play up the blue eyes, go with a darker eye liner in a navy or sapphire and than keep your lips more subtle, like a light pinky/mauve!

I'm pretty brave when it comes to hair-I've been dying it FOREVER! I was born blonde but as I got older, my hair got darker. When I was 15, it was baby poop brown! I was at a friends house and we bought a .97 cent bottle of peroxide and dumped it on my head and took a blow dryer to it! Instant YELLOW!!!!! Good thing it was the 80's!!

I've been every color under the sun, I've turned my hair green, purple and bozo orange! I always do it myself because I'd rather spend the money on MAC make-up or new cloths! I've been sticking with the same dark auburn for a while. I'm also VERY pale, in my profile picture, I was on a two week cruise and was very tanned! My medications make me sensitive to the sun so I'm dayglo white and have pretty dark hair-I think its a good look though, just a bit of a shock if your not used to it!

Good luck on the interview!

--------------------

I'm a hairdresser, try this........ new
      #280426 - 08/30/06 01:14 PM
susieannah

Reged: 02/13/05
Loc: sussex, england

Hiya
Let me say to start with the hair colours they show you on the swatches always come up a shade darker, just a future warning! Ok well to try and strip the colour out of your hair a bit and fade it the best options you have are:
* Anti dandruff shampoo- Such as 'head and shoulders' do you have that there? Basically the zinc in it helps to strip out the colour and it works!

* Baby shampoo- The no tears formulas as they have an acid PH level and strip the hair as its more alkaline.

Hope that helps, just remember though that you will probably need to give it about 3 washe's and make sure you use plenty of conditioner afterwards. I'd be careful of the harsh detergents because remember your hairs already been chemically processed so is going to be more dry and fragile than usual and harsh detergents arn't going to help that!

Good luck honey!

Re: Infusium Conditioner new
      #280427 - 08/30/06 01:22 PM
michele

Look for this in the stores. You can get it in a pump, like hairspray, its a leave in spray and it really helps to restore hair after chemical processes and its relatively inexpensive!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 332 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6144

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review