All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: What book are you reading? new
      #278774 - 08/17/06 11:17 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell - Historical adventure novel about the Danes invading England in the 800's

I've worked my way through Cornwell's Arthur trilogy (aka, The Warlord Chronicles) - The Winter King, The Enemy of God, and Excalibur - and through the first two books of his Sharpe novels - Sharpe's Eagle and Sharpe's Gold. All of his books are excellent and his writing is incredibly vivid. Warning: the historical periods he writes about are bloody, violent, and cruel, although very exciting. I suspect his Arthur trilogy is closer to the truth than Mary Stewart's Merlin trilogy - assuming there's some truth to be close to - but I much prefer to believe Mary Stewart's take on the whole matter.

Anne Rice's Interview With A Vampire is wonderful, but I couldn't get into her later vampire novels. I love two of her lesser known books: Feast Of All Saints and Cry To Heaven. For a great sensuous vampire series, try Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's St. Germain chronicles. I've read the first 5 plus Flame In Byzantium and some of the short stories and they're excellent.

The Jodi Picoult books sound great - my library has a bunch of them. You might like Nancy Pickard's The Whole Truth.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I know the feeling new
      #278783 - 08/17/06 12:01 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

When we moved here our bookshelves were so old and falling apart we didn't bring them with us. I haven't found anything I like so I think DH is going to build some. In the mean time I have 18 boxes of books stacked in the basement just waiting for a home.

We had such a mild winter last year I didn't think about being snowed in. I always have to have a book going. Life just doesn't seem right it I am not reading something.

--------------------
Janey

Re: right now... new
      #278817 - 08/17/06 01:47 PM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

I'm reading a book called The Anti- Bride Guide. It's about tying the knot outside of the box. Very helpful. Other than that, just my usual The first Year of IBS book, wich is always on my nightstand!

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

Re: I know the feeling *me too* new
      #278832 - 08/17/06 02:48 PM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

I have three shelves of books. One for my more.. spiritual books, tarot cards, runes ect as well as my art books and such. (I have two of Luis royo's art collections, one for josheph linsner<creator of the dawn comics> and one from an anime called Angel Sanctuary.. The next one is covered with all my comic books, and other such Mangas (I love anime and such)(Dawn, Kabuki series, blade of the immortal series) then the next one has anne rices beauty series, vampire chronicals, and the mayfair witches series.. I love my collections...

Re: When I finally got to teacher's college.... new
      #278879 - 08/18/06 04:03 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Psych was the one class regularly attended. I found it fascinating - a little too late! After 5 years of university I was DONE! Still, wouldn't mind taking more psych classes in the future. I often wondered about another career in counselling - I was a "shrink" to lots of my students - from abuse to everything else. I'm a good listener (my Dad was a guidence counsellor - guess I got it from him).

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3601 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5922

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review