All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
I took every psych class our little college offered new
      #278732 - 08/17/06 08:12 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Which wasn't many, since it didn't have psych as a major, but man, I love that stuff. The brain and its workings fascinate me. Sociology is a close second - the theories of society, feminism, culture, all that good stuff. Meaty!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Janey new
      #278733 - 08/17/06 08:16 AM
atomic rose

Woohoo! Another Outlander fan!

I don't know if things are done quite the same way down there as up here, but it's worth a shot to mention it. If your grocery stores have community bulletin boards, look at them every time you go shopping - and if not, check your local papers for listings. What you're looking for are book sales at libraries. Up this way, that means filling an entire shopping bag for $1! I've gotten a few books at individual yard sales, but most of them have come from library book sales. And now I have a lot of reading to do! LOL!

I love Outlander too! new
      #278734 - 08/17/06 08:21 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

My friend introduced me when there were about 4 books, so I was able to read them all in a row and that was a great few weeks. There's one more book coming right? The last few have had some brutal stuff in them.

--------------------

Re: I took every psych class our little college offered new
      #278736 - 08/17/06 08:57 AM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

If you like that kind of thing you may enjoy this one.. *anatomy of the spirit* It follows the theory that if your chakras are out of whack then the physical body will suffer. Like I said, it's very interesting and it doesn't have too much religion type views (which in my books is always a good thing) It's by Caroline Myss.. she also does a cd that helps realign and relax the over stressed person.

I wish I could find a good book on this or take a class but I think anthropology would be neat to study.. Heh, when I was in highschool I wanted to be a Parapsycologist but I hated the idea of taking biology and disecting a fetal pig..

Casey new
      #278739 - 08/17/06 09:10 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

I saw a sign a couple of months ago that the library was having a book sale. I didn't go I don't know why I didn't because I usually love to go to any book sale. I think DH was gone and I was in a mood. I will watch for it next time and will be there.

We used to go the to farmers market in PA when we visited in in laws and they had a person there that sold hundreds of books. We would spend most of our time there looking through all the books. There are a couple of places around here that sell old books but I haven't been in there yet. Maybe I am afraid to go in because I already have so many books, LOL!

Thanks for the tip. I will definitely check the next one out.

--------------------
Janey

Re: I love Outlander too! new
      #278741 - 08/17/06 09:16 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Always great to find a fellow Outlander lover! DH was travel years ago and saw a woman on the plane reading Outlander. He asked about it and thought it was a book I would like. I am like you and started the series when several books had already been released. That was great, no waiting.

I love the series but can honestly say that I like the last book the least. I have heard that there will be two more books. I also get updates from Diana Gabaldon's web site via e-mail. Tells you her tour and book signing dates and places, excerpts from new books and how she is coming with the writing of the new book.

--------------------
Janey

Re: I love Outlander too! new
      #278746 - 08/17/06 09:54 AM
JennyS

Reged: 05/26/06

Hi,
I'm a huge fan of the Outlander series. If you've
only read the first 4 then you need to read the Fiery
Cross and (I think this is the title) Snow and Ashes or
something like that. Do a search for Diana Gabaldon online.
You'll get the correct title. Fiery Cross is book 5,
Snow & ashes (or whatever) is book 6.
Have fun!
Jenny

I will ask my friend Erin! new
      #278747 - 08/17/06 09:57 AM
atomic rose

She loooooves anthropology, and has taken all kinds of classes for it... I bet she could suggest a few books! I talk to her almost every day, so I'll ask her and come back with some suggestions, if she has some (and I bet she will).

I have Anatomy of the Spirit! I should take it off the shelf and try it again. Back when I bought it, it was on the advice of my therapist - she was pretty much forcing me to read it, and I never do good with books when I'm being forced. LOL I only got about 1/4 through it. I'll give it another try!

LOL!!! new
      #278748 - 08/17/06 09:59 AM
atomic rose

Our little bookshelves are packed solid already, but that didn't stop me from buying more books! I'm terrible. I have books piled in stacks all over the living room floor, because I don't have anywhere to put them. But I can't think of anything better to spend my pennies on, hehe. Come winter, when we're (hopefully!) snowed in, I'll be glad for some reading material.

Re: What book are you reading? new
      #278757 - 08/17/06 10:19 AM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

Wow, I have a lot of books to add to my list. Now can somebody pass me the time that I need to be able to read one?!

--------------------
IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 905 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5866

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review