All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
building a new home
      #278143 - 08/13/06 07:03 AM
lissylou73

Reged: 06/20/06
Loc: West Virginia (IBS G&P)

Hubby and I will be married 5 years next month and have been renting a house from my mom. It's a nice little house, but the neighbors are weird. We are to the point that we want to live a short way out in the country and have a place that's ours. We looked at a piece of land that is for sale and we both like it. It would need to be cleared a little and a driveway and a septic system would need to be put in. But it has all the other utilities available. We were thinking of buying the land now, working our butts off to pay it and our vehicles off. Then look into having a manufactured home (that's where the home is built in a warehouse and brought to the property in pieces and put together). My question is, has anyone here had a home built? What were your experiences with it? Everyone tells me it is incredibly stressful and at this point, home/land buying is a touchy subject with us. I will admit that I want everything now and he knows that's not possible. I have a full-time job and can help toward expenses, but I think his main problem is fear of having a 30 year payment responsibility. Should we just forego the idea for now or for good?

--------------------
"There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats."
Albert Schweitzer

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: building a new home new
      #278161 - 08/13/06 08:55 AM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

My husband and I are in the process of building a home and I agree with what most of the others have told you- it is very stressful. There is no amount of planning that can ready you for all the work that goes into it, or for the money that it takes. We are doing a lot of the work ourselves (we are the general contractor), so I'm sure it is more stress than for someone who hires it all done. However, you are going to spend more money that way.

With that being said, I still say go for it! You are better off in the long run to buy rather than rent. If you are sure that you can afford it then the few months of stress are worth it in the end.

We are about 2/3 of the way through and looking to move in in October. Let me know if you have any questions- I've learned a lot in the past few months. Good luck!!

--------------------
IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

#278547 - 08/16/06 10:34 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

We build our last home....and I loved it, but honestly - I'll never do it again. It was a lot of stress and money. BUT - it was a brand new home, clean, etc. And brand new houses build equity faster it seems. That part was great. Dealing with the contractors for months after we moved in though, was not great. And - you completely have to landscape yourself if you don't want to pay someone to do it, and that is really expensive. The grass was enough! I'd say the worst part for me was landscaping after we moved in....but I hate doing that anyways - so if you like it, that's a bonus!

--------------------
~Cara~

#278572 - 08/16/06 12:35 PM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

There are definitely pros and cons to both ends. If you can handle the stress and feel very stable money wise, go for it!

--------------------
IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 925 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 703

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review