All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
The IBS debt.
      #278138 - 08/13/06 12:16 AM
Langley99

Reged: 07/19/06

To introduce myself, I'm an IBS-D who takes modulon to regulate my system. Even with that, I find myself at the mercy of painful and terrible attacks in my system. The problem is either a) too much stress, or b) my poor food choices. I cannot help the stress. I had 2 job interviews this week. But man, I cannot help but eat crap that bothers my stomach.

What do you guys do to not cheat? My Friday double-cheeseburger and fries seemed okay with me, but then dinner was pizza and I paid so very dearly for that that I wonder if the earlier fatty meal was a contributor, like another drop in the bucket.

Can the foods affect you much later by way of an IBS 'debt'? It certainly seems that way. I may skate by having a morning coffee but add another thing later and BOOM... it's pain time. Even some heavy lifting can induce problems if i've eaten other triggers.

I find my only solution is imodium, but even that means 2 days of no poopage before regularity ensues.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: The IBS debt. new
      #278141 - 08/13/06 06:21 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

The way you don't cheat is you realize that certain foods will tirgger attacks. It's simple - would you rather eat a delicious cheeseburger now, or avoid major pain and trouble later? I know will power doesn't always work that way, but you need to just take a moment and think, and weigh things. There are definitely times I've said, 'well, this might get me sick later, but I'm just heading home, and I've got medicine there, so I'm willing to risk it.' But you have to be aware of that choice.

And yes, eating triggers often can add up, worse than just one trigger once in a while. It's just a question of whether you're in a bad enough state that you're ready to change your eating habits in order to feel better.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#278146 - 08/13/06 07:25 AM
seggy

Reged: 04/24/06
Loc: North East of England, UK

hi
I know it's really hard to stop eating the food that is so yummy but it really will help you
At the risk of sounding like a councillor , why not try to pinpoint why you eat.... I eat a lot when I'm bored or excited
so once you've figured this out look to ways you can replace the food with other things that won't end up in pain. Do things that give you pleasure, instead of eating bad stuff buy a new magazine or some make up or something like that.
Another thing you could try is simply substituting things. Use cocoa powder in cakes instead of chocolate, use soya for dairy etc
Your double cheeseburger could be replaced with a tofu or soya burger, with soy cheese and lots of extra's like tomato sauce, veggies, mustard etc.... find new ways to make food exciting instead of fat.... if you have time have a look at the HUGE long list of stuff in the recipe index in this site.
there are safe replacements for things like french fries and cake
Hope this helps and stay strong you can do it!
Godbless
xxx

#278147 - 08/13/06 07:37 AM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

Speaking for myself ... cheating is just not worth it. It's like being an addict and taking just one more hit. If we do it we are going to pay the price.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Yes...for me fod and stress are the only triggers! new
      #278180 - 08/13/06 02:58 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

and if I go onto heathers diet here and there, I can go off a while. I find avoiding super fatty foodsd, avoiding dairy and avoiding coffee pretty much save my soul. Oh, and pop. Never ever drink pop anymore.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

#278186 - 08/13/06 03:33 PM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

My two triggers are stress and a really fatty diet. I can play the balancing game however. Like if I eat a safe sub sandwich for lunch I can probably also eat fatty chips. However, if I tried to eat the chips on an empty stomach I would be in pain.

I got to a point were I didn't want to eat the fatty foods anymore because they made me feel so sick. It's deciding to make a change for the better. Yes, having will power is hard. However, once you do it for a while it's like a learned habit.

--------------------
IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

#278189 - 08/13/06 04:36 PM
Langley99

Reged: 07/19/06

Today i had chinese food, which can be spicy and thus murder for my system. But I ate a lot of rice, a good soluble fibre as Heather suggested, and only had three 'potstickers' (fried won-ton like dealies dipped in vinegar) and although a couple hours later in the heat in the sun (car shopping), i felt not-great, I walked it off no problem. I didn't have pop with lunch, just the tea and water that the restaurant, "Hon's House of Wun Tun" provides.

So yeah, no more pop. no more energy drinks in the morning.

energy drinks? Are you MAD?? new
      #278190 - 08/13/06 04:42 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

yowza those have GOT to be bad on the tum.

I was a hard core starbucksaholic for years...so i switched to something called a Grande Soy tazo Chai. It's a chai tea latte.Absolutely heavenly. It's sweet and it's got enough caffeine but not enough to hurt your tummy. And the Silk brand soy milk doens't taste gross at all.

Also, a friend form the board, Tina, and her husband Tommy, have Sstarbucks Green tea Lattes as well with soy. Also super yummy, a good boost but not hyper caffeinated and easy on the tum b/c it has peppermint.

HTH!
It's sooooo hard to change your diet, but you will absolutely reap the rewards.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

#278195 - 08/13/06 06:45 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Quote:

I cannot help the stress.

There are many things you can do for stress management.
-Hypnotherapy
-Meditation
-Yoga
-Adequate sleep

As for not cheating: If it is going to give you D, cramps, gas, and who knows what other symptoms, don't eat it, don't risk. If it's a safe food, eat it. It's a matter of pain.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#278224 - 08/14/06 07:23 AM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

WOW! It sounds like you're getting away with way more than a "typical" IBS'er would.

--------------------
IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 408 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1896

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review