Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Parental help, please
      #277731 - 08/09/06 08:33 AM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

Hi all.
I'm getting ready to leave with my family on Saturday for a week of camping. We will be in a tent for two days in Michigan's U.P. and 5 days in a cabin at a Jellystone Park in Wisconsin. My DS's ages are 10 and 7.

My concern is that my boys are getting to that point in the summer where they are bored with everything. We will have plenty for them to do in the car but I'm looking for ideas for while we're camping. At Jellystone, there appears to be a lot of activities for them but the camping, I'm not so sure of.

Does anyone have any suggestions of fun things for them to do that we could bring along that wouldn't take up tons of space in the car?

Thanks everyone!

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Decks of cards. new
      #277741 - 08/09/06 09:57 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

See if you can find stuff on the internet with different types of games they can play with them. Hours of amusement. Heck, even bring some poker chips.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Decks of cards. new
      #277757 - 08/09/06 12:35 PM
Flipada

Great idea! The kids just learned to play Solitaire and really like it. I bought them each a deck. I'll definitely make sure to pack them. You got me thinkin'...Thank you!

--------------------
**Lauren**

Re: Parental help, please new
      #277767 - 08/09/06 02:31 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

Things to do while camping??? How about identifying animal prints? How about $00.50 or $1.00 for the first identified deer, rabbit, elk, beaver print. How about learning about plants and identifying? Or learning to make a bow and arrow? Or even telling directions during the day and night? Lots to do for young guys while camping.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Animal prints new
      #277768 - 08/09/06 02:44 PM
Flipada

Ahhh, an experienced camper! That, I am NOT. I camped for the first time in my almost 37 years, last summer. And that was really just for a weekend.

When my DH and I got married last summer, we registered for camping gear. It was great. That way, as a family, we'd be able to go off and do that. DH actually has much more experience than I, so I'm hoping he can maybe help with the nature stuff that I never learned.

I better start doing some serious research!! Eeek!
Thanks!

--------------------
**Lauren**

Re: Animal prints new
      #277781 - 08/09/06 04:09 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

Find out where your Boy Scouts of America local office is located. They have a "Field Book" that has lots of information that would help. I am sure that it's less than $10.00.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Re: Parental help, please new
      #277788 - 08/09/06 04:58 PM
ArmyWife87

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: Canada - East Coast

Hi Flipada,
I remember when my kids were at that in between stage and camping was definitely not on their priority list. But they were good sports. I have a girl and boy.

I got them each a disposable camera. We had squirrels and birds etc at our site, and they both took pics. They also took pics of the hikes we were on too, and of course crazy weird shots of each other. It was fun when the pics were developed. The kids never really did much with the pics after they were developed, but I have a cheap album of camping collections...for each child that I keep at home with me. Once they have kids of their own, I will give them their albums back.

Also, both the kids really enjoyed the bonfires at nite. Not so much the supper stuff, but we did alot of the roasted marshmellows etc for dessert. You can also take a banana (unpeeled) scoop out a bit of the middle and put in some choc chips, marshmellow - wrap it in tinfoil and place it on the fire...that was another favorite. Now, I'm not sure if that fits in with the IBS diet, but that was before my IBS days I have a few more campfire recipes if your interested.

I hope you have a great deal of fun camping.

--------------------
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

cameras new
      #277812 - 08/09/06 07:25 PM
Flipada

Ohhh, the camera idea is great. They'll LOVE that. And I already know how much they like campfires so I'll just make sure to have all the yummy ingredients. Regardless of whether I can eat or not, they can!!
Thanks!

--------------------
**Lauren**

good idea (nt) new
      #277813 - 08/09/06 07:25 PM
Flipada

--------------------
**Lauren**

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2153 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1931

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review