All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
As requested - Surgery Update!
      #276888 - 08/03/06 09:38 AM
Computr821

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA/ Baltimore, MD

Here's where I'm at. I have received the instructions for my prep on Sunday. At 7:00 and 10:00 a.m. I will take 1.5 oz of Phospho-soda (that nasty liquid you have to drink). Sometime after, I expect my bowel to explode and to be sitting on the toilet indefinately.

During the day I will be taking 2 different types of antibiotics: Flagyl and Neomycin. The Flagyl is at 2, 5, 8, and 11 pm. The Neomycin is at 3, 6, and 9 pm. Lots of fun there too. Beyond that, it's a lot of drinking and more drinking, and some further drinking. Nothing to drink after 11 pm though.

Then the morning of, I will go to the hospital at 6:00 am where they will continue the bowel prep. I have been told this will involve a series of "quart-sized enemas". They actually offered me the option of coming in later to the hospital if I was willing to do the enemas at home, but remembering the problems I had with doing that before the barium enema, I told them to do it at the hospital.

And that's where I stand right now. I'll likely post a series of updates on Sunday while I go through the prep.

Avidan

--------------------
Why'd you have to go and make me so constipated?
--'Weird' Al Yankovic, "A Complicated Song"

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: As requested - Surgery Update! new
      #276890 - 08/03/06 10:00 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

{{tight tight hugs}} Be sure to get some wet wipes to use....it really does help when you have to go so many times in a short amount of time.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#276892 - 08/03/06 10:03 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Best of luck, Avidan. I'll be thinking of you. Wishing you loads of pain relief--

~nelly~

#276935 - 08/03/06 11:41 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

Sounds like fun :P I just got back from my defecogram. You're right. HORRIBLE!! At this point all I feel like saying is, "so do you want to shove anything else up there?" Plus for women the test involves putting barium in another not so pleasant place. I'm sooooo glad that's over. Now I have the torment of waiting for results. After all that they put you through you'd think they could be kind enough to tell you what they saw. I guess I'll have to wait until the 14th when I go back to the surgeon. I'm hoping they found proof that I do have a prolapse and that the Dr. will be able to fix it. I'm just glad the test is over. I never want to do that again. Time to veg in front of the tv and wonder when all this barium is going to start coming out! Your prep sounds pretty unpleasant too. Hopefully it goes smoothly.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#276962 - 08/03/06 01:12 PM
Computr821

At least they're not making you do a barium enema. 'Cause that is 10 times worse.

Avidan

--------------------

#276975 - 08/03/06 01:53 PM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

You mean there is something worse? I thought this was the same thing as a barium enema? They squirted about 4 tubes of barium up "there." Isn't that an enema? They did that, then took xrays. Then I had to sit on the can an push it out. They video taped the whole process too. How is a barium enema different? If it's worse than this I sure hope I don't have to do it.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#276998 - 08/03/06 02:47 PM
Computr821

A barium enema is different because instead of 4 tubes of barium it's an IV bag worth of barium. THen you have to turn around in different positions while they keep a running video x-ray. Like I said, a lot more uncomfortable.

Avidan

--------------------

#277004 - 08/03/06 03:21 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I've had barium enemas. I tell ya, it's straight out of the movie "Carrie." Really awful. *shudder*

The upper GI (barium swallow) was awful too. Really painful and humilliating. And I was pooping heavy white stuff for 10 days. I've had some awful flavors too: cherry, mint, and *ugh* coconut. *gag*

*gag* again.

We can all laugh once it's over. Like in a month it'll be hillarious.

~nelly~

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2763 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1464

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review