All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Pregnancy question - Nexium/Wellbutrin
      #274919 - 07/20/06 05:38 AM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

**--I posted this on the Eating board but got only one response. I should have posted here first. Just wondering if any of you might be able to help.--**

No, I have no news to announce...however, DH and I are going to try soon.;) Because of my GERD, my Dr. said it's not safe to take Nexium during pregnancy. He suggested that I try Zantac because that may be safer. However, I thought I'd ask the experts here.

He also said the Wellbutrin probably wasn't a good idea. What to do? I don't know how I'll last 9 mo. without my meds. I'll do it, but if there's a safer version of either, I'd love to know.

BTW, 8 yrs. ago when I was pregnant the last time, I had not been on AD's (but should have). Dr. told me I could get on Zoloft safely the last 2 weeks of preganancy to avoid the depression I suffered from the first pregnancy. My experience with DS (#2) was so much better. I could actually be happy. I'm worried about my emotional state without the AD's. While life seems to be going very well, I'm on them. So...what to do?? Anyone?

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Pregnancy question - Nexium/Wellbutrin new
      #274923 - 07/20/06 05:53 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Whether or not Nexium is safe depends on your doctor. My doctor and now my midwives have all said it's fine. Many other people on this board have said their doctors told them they couldn't take it though. I'm very happy not to have to give up my Nexium because I've had terrible heartburn lately, even with the drug. I guess ultimately you have to decide whether you want to "risk" it or not.

I don't know much about antidepressants though.

Good luck!

#274978 - 07/20/06 10:29 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I've been on prevacid and my internist switched me to pepcid when I started trying a while back but my RE (reproductive endocrinologist) said I couldn't take that either because it does cross the placenta. There is no evidence that it causes harm to the baby, they just don't really know. I was able to stop it as soon as I found out and just took a LOT of Rolaids!

As far as the AD's go. I've gotten mixed reports. If you look online, they say that Zoloft and Prozac have been the two that have had the most testing done. Again, there is no evidence that they hurt the baby. I found one report that showed that moms who were on ad's while pregnant, their babies were a bit slower and more lathergic at birth, for the first 48 hours but they couldn't find any evidence of the drugs in the baby's systems. Once the first 48 hours past, there was no difference in either goup of babies.

I tried to stop mine, several times, the most recent a couple of months before we stared trying the first time. I couldn't do it. From the research I did, I believed it was better to have a slightly "drugged", happy mom then a "clean" depressed mom! I was able to cut back to just 50mg of zoloft a day and that seemed to be enough to keep me stable.

My last RE was fine with that as was the high risk fetal maternal medicine doc I was seeing while pregnant with the twins. However, the most recent RE I saw this past Spring said she would really prefer me to not take it if possible, just because I will have to be on steroids and blood thinners because of my RA.

I know that didn't really answer your question. I don't think there is an absolute answer to be honest. My suggestion would be to switch to Zoloft and try the lowest dose, I think they do make a 25mg but not positive. I'm currently on 100mg a day but will try to taper if we decide to try again in the future.

As a side note, be sure to start your prenatals as soon as possible. They say they do the most good when you have been taking them for at least 2 months before getting pregnant!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#275000 - 07/20/06 12:14 PM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

My OB said that Wellbutrin was fine during pregnancy. I think it depends on the doc.

--------------------
~jules

#275015 - 07/20/06 01:01 PM
Flipada

Thanks Michele. Yeah, I've been on prenatals for a couple months. At my age (37 in Aug), I need it. I will prob switch to Zoloft but will talk to my doctor asap when I find out I'm pregnant.

Thanks to everyone else. I appreciate your help.

--------------------
**Lauren**

#275020 - 07/20/06 01:13 PM
michele

I wouldn't wait until you are pregnant to switch. You will be feeling "wacky" from the hormones and I think it would be best to get it situated before the onslaught of hormones

I'm turning 36 in a couple of weeks so if we end up trying I'll be at least 37 when I delivered. I'm sure you have read that it may take longer to get pregnant because of our "age." Have you been tracking your cycles? Check out this site http://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com/index.html Its where I used to get all my baby making supplies from. The pre-seed is wonderful if you find you have any issues with dryness.

The other issue of course is the increase in Downs Syndrome and other chromosome problems. Have you and your hubby talked about CVS or Amnio at all? The CVS is nice because you can find out a LOT earlier if there is anything wrong. We couldn't have it done because I was pregnant with identical twins and the complication rate was too high. It really depends on if/what you would do with the info if you found out something was wrong. IF we get pregnant again, I doubt I'll have any testing done. After all we have been through, we wouldn't terminate anyways. They have tested all my babies and there haven't been any chromsome issues so far, its always been my immune system. Ok, rambling now, sorry!! Good luck on the baby making!

--------------------

#275106 - 07/21/06 05:38 AM
Flipada

Good point about changing now. I'll be back in the good ole U.S. of A on Monday. I'll get ahold of my doctor right away. That's great advice and I hadn't thought about it before.

We've talked about testing a little but I know very little about it because I was 30 with my last pregnancy and we didn't have to do that. Good thinkin'!

Thank you, thank you!
BTW, we've been in "practice mode" for a couple months! So, I think we're doin'it right!! hehehe

--------------------
**Lauren**

#275139 - 07/21/06 09:11 AM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Thanks for this thread. DH and I will likely start TTC in January, and I have also had worries about my beloved Wellbutrin. I have made a "preconception" appointment with a prospective OBGYN. I couldn't get in until late September because I'm a "new patient"! I'm glad I called now!

I'll let you know what the doc says... IN TWO MONTHS!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

#275208 - 07/22/06 08:05 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

Flipada,

I just now noticed that you're in W Michigan. I am too! Wherebouts do you live, if you don't mind me askng. I'm from the GR suburbs.

--------------------
~jules

Jules new
      #275229 - 07/22/06 12:33 PM
Flipada

I'm not far from you. I'm in Grand Haven. However...at the moment, I'm across the ocean. I'm in Spain for a couple more days. I'm really ready to be home. I miss my family!

--------------------
**Lauren**

#276173 - 07/29/06 12:26 AM
tblassingame

Reged: 07/28/06
Loc: NE Texas

I am really confused. I know there is no right answer, but I am currently taking Prozac 20 mg once daily and Levbid ER 0.375 twice daily. My husband and I are ready to start trying to get pregnant. My OBGYN said this past week to stay on both of the medications, but the nurse practicioner I see for general practice said I need to get off both medications. I tried for two weeks to take half of the usual amount of medicine I usually take and I was so sick! I don't want my baby to have fetal malformations, but I also want for my baby to have the nutrients it needs as I am pregnant and it won't have that if the diarhea continues without the medications. I need some advice. I have read what you all have posted, that was helpful, but I just don't want to make a mistake.

#276186 - 07/29/06 07:37 AM
Flipada

I talked to my OB/GYN a couple days ago and he didn't have a prob with either Wellbutrin or Nexium. But, I think I'm going to go ahead and try 1/2 doses of both. I used to do 1/2 of them and upped them several months ago. Maybe I'll be okay with that. If I am... I may try to stop all together but I'm not sure I'll be okay with that.

I don't have any more info though...

--------------------
**Lauren**

#276401 - 07/31/06 08:20 AM
michele

The prozac has not been shown to cause birth defects. Iwouldn't worry too much about that one. The levbid has not been shown to cause birth defects either but may speed up the fetal heartbeat. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/drug-information/DR202049

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2012 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2748

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review