All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anxiety and IBS
      #274228 - 07/16/06 11:37 AM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

I'm not sure which board to post this on, so I'll try here.
For me, anxiety is the biggest trigger for my IBS-D. I've had some success with cognitive behavior therapy and meditation in terms of getting an overall handle on my anxiety, but certain situations (like traveling) are very difficult for me. I don't want to go through life limiting myself because I can't travel without having major D episodes.

I feel like I can't control my body's reaction to stress and anxiety...my gut immediately starts spasming. Sometimes I'm not even conscious of what thought preceded it. Often it's just a matter of the situation. What czn I do???

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anxiety and IBS new
      #274234 - 07/16/06 12:12 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Anxiety is my worst IBS trigger too, and honestly, I finally just had to go on medication for it. I take 20mg Lexapro daily. I really didn't want to do it, but I had gotten to the point where anxiety made me so sick that I couldn't leave the house for weeks at a time, so it had to be done. And yes, I had tried CBT too, and other treatments with my therapist, as well as meditation, etc., and nothing worked for my anxiety as good as the pills do.

If you find that you can manage your daily anxiety fine with other techniques, but have situational anxiety that makes you sick, something that you can take as needed might be a better idea.

It's not for everyone, but it definitely worked for me when nothing else did, and it's awfully nice to have my life back.

I may have already suggested this new
      #274236 - 07/16/06 12:15 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

but if I haven't then try gut directed hypnotherapy. It is very successful and helps not only IBS symptoms, but also anxiety and a number of other things.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#274238 - 07/16/06 12:30 PM
Digby

I haven't tried Lexapro. How are the side effects?

I hesitate to take anything because I was addicted to Klonopin (a benzo) that took me seven months to get off. It was a tough withdrawal. I did have a Klonopin tablet with me on my recent trip to the mountains to take just in case, but I ended up not taking it. It's a good idea, tho, to take as needed (as long as I don't end up getting hooked again.)

I've also been on Elavyl for anxiety, IBS and to help me sleep. I'm weaning off of that now too becasue it gives me tachycardia. I was on Prozac, which gave me panic disorder. Celexa made me a zombie. As you can see, I'm leery of meds for anxiety. But then again, anxiety does a terrible number on the body. So, I'm trying to remain open-minded.

Anxiety is my worst enemy, too.... new
      #274242 - 07/16/06 12:48 PM
nuggs1968

Reged: 06/26/06

I've been on Zoloft for a couple years and was able to be off of it for a couple years. Then I started taking Effexor and was on it for a couple years until just recently getting off of it. The Effexor was the worst for me. Terrible side effects which makes me leary of taking any other anti-anxiety/depressant ever again. It took me 7 months to wean myself off of it. Now I am trying acupuncture and chinese herbal medicine. It's a little too early in the treatment to notice any drastic improvement, but I can see mild improvements. The bad thing about acupuncture is that it is not a "quick fix". Whereas going to the doctor and getting a prescription is generally a quick fix. I do feel a lot calmer after an acupuncture session. I still have about 5 months to go in my treatment, though. So am hoping for the best. Another thing that really helps me is exercise. But, it's so hard to get motivated to go work out when I don't feel good. My mom and I joined Curves for Women and really enjoy it. When I felt good, I was going 5 times a week. Next week my goal is to go two or three times. Exercise releases the natural brain chemical, serotonin, which is lacking in people with anxiety/depression. Even just going for a walk helps.

Good luck!
{{{hugs}}}

#274245 - 07/16/06 01:02 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

Hey Digby,

I can relate. I strictly follow the diet, exercise at least 4 times a week, tried CBT.. blah blah blah....and still have anxiety. My doctor figured out I had a serotonin deficiency (I guess that one of the blood tests he ran on me revealed this). I had to accept that in some cases you can try all you like and you won't be able to control the problem. That was the hardest thing for me to accept, that I didn't have control over this anxiety thing.

For now, medication is the best way for me to cope since I have a lot of stress in my life. Anxiety (coupled with all the stress) was making life unbearable. Like Atomic Rose, I was feeling "sick" all the time and could barely muster the strength to leave the house. I started taking Effexor and now I feel I have my life back. Controlling my anxiety relieves about 90% of my IBS symptoms.

I know some people don't do well on Effexor, but for me it's been a godsend. I am not on a very high dosage, so perhaps that's why. The first few days I had side effects: sleeplessness and a mild headache, but after that I have had nothing. Everything works differently on each person. I am a firm believer that sometimes you need a little help beyond what you can do yourself and if that means you have to take some meds for a while, then so be it.

I hope you feel better soon!

#274263 - 07/16/06 04:02 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

I was diagnosed with GAD(Generalized Anxiety Disorder)when I was 21. I went through a bout of Cognative Behavior Therapy at that time and I believe it did help my issues I was having at that time. I'm 39 now and have not had my anxiety like when I was 21. I still refer back to what I was taught with the CBT and it does help to some degree.
I believe I will always have the "what if I travel in the car for a long trip and have to go phobia"! That will never go away.You almsot just have to make yourself or otherwise you will get nowhere in life. I have learned to mentally take control of myself and go anyway. I stress up to the point that I have to leave but somehow I just kinda talk myself out of my anxiety. I'm not on any prescriptions for anxiety, however, I do take Bentyl which is an antispasmatic drug and it does help. I've been debating though weaning myself off of it(I only take 2 a day)and seeing what happens. Everyone talks so much about Immodium and "popping" them before a trip or a meal out and it helps them. My pharmacist says I shouldn't take the Bentyl and Immodium together since they have the same effect. The only thing that worries me is getting "stopped up" from the Immodium. Which, honestly, when you are D, being C sometimes sounds kinda nice. I have a trip planned to go to the beach in a few weeks with some girlfriends and I'm seriously thinking of doing the Immodium and just not take the Bentyl. That road trip is 3hrs. The only good thing about going is that 3 of us have some form of IBS so everyone is pretty understanding. Still, it's a pain to have to worry about.

I just wanted you to know that I too have the anxiety issue, but like I said, I mentally control it so that it doesn't control me!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#274469 - 07/17/06 11:36 PM
Digby

I have GAD too. Ye gads! I'm trying to avoid meds because I've had such a hard time with side-effects, probably because I'm petite and ultra-sensitive.

I recently went on a 4-hour car trip to Tahoe. On the way we went through the valley where the temps were in the 100's. I had several episodes of D on the way, and felt like a wreck when I arrived in Tahoe.

On the way back, I took two Immodiums to stop me up, and avoided food until I got home. I had no D on the return trip, even tho we passed through the hot valley again.

You're right, I need to force myself to go on trips regardless of what happens. I'm afraid that I'll end up avoiding travel altogether if I don't continue to force myself. This past week was very tough, so it will be a bit of time before I try a long trip again. The interesting thing is that I had no anxiety beforehand, which is usually not the case. It hit me bad when we got in that heated valley. Arrgh! Well, it's good to hear from other folks who have the same problem.

Have fun at the beach! It sounds wonderful. The ocean is soooooooooo soothing. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Re: Digby new
      #274625 - 07/18/06 06:32 PM
LittleLisa

You sound so much like me I fear meds. Every time I must take something that's of a prescription nature I panic and think I'm going to react from it. I'm petite and ultra sensitive to meds too. Let's see..I'm allergic to Sulfa, Doxycycline, Torredol and very sensitive to Demerol. I don't even like taking over the counter stuff either. I so want to try that Airborne stuff in the winter but I'm afraid of that too. Pathetic I know. I take Tylenol and Bentyl and only because I have zero side effects from the Bentyl. Well.....maybe I shouldn't say zero. I think it makes me out of breath (of course maybe it's just me getting older (Just turned 39)and every once in a great moon does it make my mouth dry but I can deal with it. Again, I'm debating weaning from it.

I'm glad the Immodium worked for you for the ride home. Sometimes I think though that my ride home is better because mentally I know I'm going home instead of away from home. Like tonight, I had a bout which was on a scale from 1-10 a 7 of IBS. I was headed out to a scrimmage baseball game for my son and I end up in the potty going and going and going. I had some pains with it but not severe. The only reason I got my butt in that car and drove to the field is because #1 I only live about 4 minutes from the field #2 I knew they'd have the potty open just in case I needed it and #3 cause I would have been disappointed in myself if I didn't go for fear of the IBS taking over me. I went and guess what? Made it without any pain or potty runs . I'm due for my period I think any day and I'm sure it's the cause of the attack. I was a bit worried that the heat would trigger it again but luckily we were getting a thunderstorm and it cooled down quite a bit where it was tollerable.

Yes, just mentally keep telling yourself you are in control and believe it or not it does work most of the time and each time it does work, makes you feel like you can deal with it more and more!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#274634 - 07/18/06 06:51 PM
SaraToruno

Reged: 07/18/06

does anyone know if Paxil is good for IBS-C? I've heard it works wonders on IBS-D, but I have the other one, along with depression and anxiety.

Re: Lisa new
      #274834 - 07/19/06 02:23 PM
Digby

We are so much alike! I'm allergic to pretty much any antibiotic, and have bad side effects from most antianxiety and antidepressant medications. I tried Bentyl and it gave me tachycardia. But Levsin wasn't a problem. I haven't tried Airborne, but during cold and flu season I take Sambucol, which is an elderberry extract, and it has worked wonders for me. I haven't had the flu since (knock on wood). If you're interested, it's available in HF stores. I think the way it works is that the elderberry extract clings to any virus cells and keeps them from multiplying. I was around people with bronchitis this past winter and didn't get a sniffle, which is pretty amazing for me. I also take a homeopathic remedy, Alpha CF Cold and Flu formula whenever I feel like I'm coming down with something. Homeopathic remedies are probably the perfect dose for me!

You're probably right about my symptoms abating because I was on my way home. As soon as I got home I was able to eat again. I've had D off and on since then, probably because of lingering anxiety.

I tried changing my thoughts while I was having such a hard time on my trip. I felt like I have no control over my body's reaction to stress. It's quite immediate. How does one get a handle on that? I tried distracting myself, taking a walk, slowing down, meditating, doing positive affirmations. I suppose it all helped to some degree, but I'm still stuck with that immediate reaction to stress. Now, I don't want to go back to work next week because it's not a happy place for me. Hmm. There must be a way out of this quagmire.

Sorry to hear about your experience at the baseball game. My D acts up before my period too, so it was probably that. People wonder how I stay so slim. It's because of the D! It's one heck of a diet, isn't it?

As difficult as my trip to Tahoe was, I'm glad I went. There were so many good moments to remember. Getting away gives me a good perspective on life too.

Re: Hmmmmm new
      #274848 - 07/19/06 03:22 PM
LittleLisa

I just might have to try that herbal stuff this winter. If it didn't give you any side effects, it might not for me either.
Isn't that funny...I couldn't take Levsin cause that gave me tachycardia
I can ALWAYS eat when I'm at home. That definitly is a psychological issue! I guess we are at ease when we know we have a potty available to run to if needed.
I too am very thin and people say the same thing to me too. I tell them if I didn't have IBS, I could eat so much more that would put weight on me. I swear I'm thin because of that. I'm 5ft and only weigh 90lbs. What is your height and weight if you don't mind me asking?
You are right though about the anciety just coming out of nowhere sometimes. That happens to me too and then everything just seems to snowball. I HATE that. I try my hardest to talk myself out of it but like you, sometimes, it's hard and lasts much longer than I can control.
What do you do at work? I am usually ok at work with my IBS. I have a office job so I have access to a toilet whenever I want. Thank goodness So work for me is kinda a safe place for me. My problems are car rides. Sometimes it only can be a few miles away and I make my stomach hurt somehow. It's frustrating.
Yes getting away does help. It #1 makes you realize you CAN go to other places instead of just work and home and #2 it's certainly good for stress to vacation once in a while.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: Hmmmmm new
      #274989 - 07/20/06 11:22 AM
Digby

That's funny about the Levsin!

I'm 5'4" and have weighed 105 on the low side. I was up to 118 or so, but after the past week I'm probably down to 112. Sometimes I eat really fast because I want to hang onto all the food! (Not a good eating habit.)

I'm usually okay at work. I'm a book buyer, so I sit a lot (which isn't helping my back at all!). I don't like to use the toilet at work tho; I usually go across the street to a nicer bathroom.

If you learn any tricks on how to stop the instant gut reaction to anxiety, let me know! I don't want to have to take any more meds for anxiety.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2777 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3224

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review