All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Any males out there?
      #272947 - 07/07/06 01:55 PM
CraigC

Reged: 07/07/06

Hello all.

I've surfed the boards off and on for a long time now. I'm almost 30 years old and have suffered from IBS for at least 20 of them.

I'm also a freelance writer and I'm looking to write an article on IBS from a male point of view. Maybe it is just my perception, but males seem to be a quiet minority among IBS suffers.

As part of my research, I'd like to talk to other men and hear their stories, what works for them, what hasn't.

If there are any males or if you know of any that have IBS, I'd love to talk to you!

Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I'm a gal but... new
      #272951 - 07/07/06 02:00 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

You seem to be right abour IBS effecting more women than men. I don't why, perhaps it has to do with hormones. Menstrual cycles seem to play into aggravating IBS quite a bit.

Anyhoo, welcome to the boards.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: Any males out there? new
      #272980 - 07/07/06 03:50 PM
TP

Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Hi Craig,

Yup, I'm a male with IBS, too. But what's an even stranger coincidence is that I'm also a writer. In fact, I just recently published a memoir about my adventures working and dating with IBS. Since we have so much in common, we should definitely talk! Drop me a line anytime - I look forward to hearing from you (and anybody else for that matter - male or female!) Thanks,

Tim

#272982 - 07/07/06 03:54 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Be sure you get in touch with Avidan (Computr821)

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Hey Tim. Welcome to the boards. new
      #272987 - 07/07/06 04:13 PM
hohoyumyum

--------------------

Yup ... & welcome... new
      #272988 - 07/07/06 04:24 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

Howdy... I am IBS d for about 20 years. Heather's diet works for me. Well ... 80 % of the time. I still have an 18 year old at home. He's my biggest uncontrollable trigger.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

welcome to the boards tim and craig! new
      #273006 - 07/07/06 06:56 PM
chely24

Reged: 02/22/06
Loc: ohio

best of luck!

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/rachelle423

#273052 - 07/08/06 05:05 AM
Blondie13

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Sheffield, England

Hi Tim

Are you the friend of Marilyn's that she posted about? (with link to your website) If so your book looks really funny, will be ordering it from Amazon soon as I have a few more £'s available...

Welcome to the boards!

--------------------
http://ibsblondie13.blogspot.com/

#273055 - 07/08/06 06:44 AM
TP

Hi there, Blondie - Yes, I'm afraid that would be me Thanks in advance for ordering a copy! That's very nice of you, and I really hope you like it (and if you hate it, you can always send me a nasty email!)

Tim

#273146 - 07/08/06 08:04 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Hi,
I've been off the boards for a few months and was just looking over what I'd missed.
I'm in about the same situation in terms of how long I've dealt with IBS- 33yo and ibs for at least 23 years. I'd be happy to talk to you.

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

#273235 - 07/09/06 07:28 PM
Computr821

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA/ Baltimore, MD

Yep! I'm a guy too. I'm 20 (21 in August) and would love to talk about it.

Avidan

--------------------
Why'd you have to go and make me so constipated?
--'Weird' Al Yankovic, "A Complicated Song"

#273263 - 07/10/06 06:14 AM
asianrei

Reged: 05/19/06
Loc: Flordia

male 38 here. u noticed mostly female who has ibs...how strange...and if you look at their profile, they are all beautiful women.

--------------------
Had my IBS since 2001 after 9/11

#273284 - 07/10/06 08:06 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

You know, my non-IBS husband has made a similar comment. He's convinced only good-looking women get IBS!

Re: Hi boys! new
      #273291 - 07/10/06 08:35 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Welcome to the boards! We can always use a little more testosterone around here! Whats this book I'm hearing about, can you post a link to it?

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#273294 - 07/10/06 08:43 AM
CraigC

Yeah, please post a link!

Re: Any males out there? - Question new
      #273302 - 07/10/06 09:11 AM
CraigC

A quick question. Would you guys feel more comfortable 'talking' on the forum, or would you rather talk privately?

#273312 - 07/10/06 09:37 AM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

I would will most likely help all I can, but it will be on this message board. I don't think that I have much to hide from anyone here. One of the good things that I have found here is the knowledge that is passed around. And if we give someone a little help or even a laugh then it's all good.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#273317 - 07/10/06 10:02 AM
Computr821

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA/ Baltimore, MD

I'm fine with talking on the forum, but I suppose that if we start getting into matters I'd prefer not to post we can continue privately.

Avidan

--------------------
Why'd you have to go and make me so constipated?
--'Weird' Al Yankovic, "A Complicated Song"

#273381 - 07/10/06 02:27 PM
TP

Hey everybody,

Either way is fine with me, but since my visits to the site can be a little random, you might get a quicker reply by emailing me directly (tim@RomanceRichesRestrooms.com )

Thanks,

Tim

#273382 - 07/10/06 02:31 PM
TP

OK, since you asked...here you go.

www.RomanceRichesRestrooms.com

Re: This book looks hysterical! new
      #273484 - 07/11/06 09:52 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Congrats on getting it published! I plan to buy a copy soon!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: This book looks hysterical! new
      #273610 - 07/11/06 08:15 PM
TP

Thanks, Michele!!! I hope you like it.

Re: Tim new
      #273633 - 07/12/06 06:51 AM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

That's just awesome that you published a book. It does look very good. I must admit, I'm not a "book reader". Give me a Cosmopolitan or Soap Digest and I can read that in it's entirety. I have no patience for books, HOWEVER, I am trying very hard to start reading again since my 11 year old has read some Harry Potter books and the whole series of Lemmony Snicket. I guess it's about time for me to get back into reading. I did just finish a book "Marley and Me" about the life of a yellow lab and let me tell you, it felt good to have accomplished reading it. SO, I may just buy your book not only for my mind but also because I must be partial to "local" authors. (Marley and Me is by an author in Emmaus, PA) I see you are from Philly. My family grew up there and I lived there for 5 years. I currently live between Allentown and Philly.

Welcome to the boards and I look forward to any insite you might have for us all!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: Tim new
      #273659 - 07/12/06 08:34 AM
TP

Thanks, Lisa. That's funny that you mention "Marley and Me" because I'm reading it right now (very entertaining so far - I just got to the part where they move to their new house in Boca Raton) and I'm hoping to finish it some time this week - I'm a pretty slow reader, actually, and I know exactly what you mean about having that feeling of accomplishment when you finish a book. It's kind of like staying at a Holiday Inn Express (have you seen those commercials?); Finishing a book just makes me "feel" smarter. Tell you what...if you do decide to read it and don't like it, I'll personally drive up 476 (I'm near Villanova) and give you your money back Seriously, though, thanks so much for the warm welcome!

Tim

Re: No way! new
      #273699 - 07/12/06 12:16 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

You are reading Marley and Me? You'll LOVE it. I cried at the end though so fair warning!

Are you a dog lover? Seems like anyone that is a dog lover should buy that book. I've had Golden Retrievers all my life. I'm on my 3rd one! Here he is:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/LittleLisa37/dakota5mths.jpg
His name is Dakota. We had our last Golden for 14 years so it's been a bit hard getting a puppy. I could relate to the book so much!
Well now, how can I pass up purchasing a book that I could be fully refunded on if I didn't like it? Got me tempted even more!!!!! I'll think about it!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: No way! new
      #273806 - 07/13/06 05:24 AM
TP

As a single guy who has spent most of his adult life in city apartments and has traveled a lot for work, I've never been able to have my own dog...at least not yet! But growing up, my family had lots of them - a few adorable mutts and three unforgettably loyal German Shepherds (after 13 years, we just had to put the last one down a few weeks ago. Heartbreaking!). You can never replace the ones you lose, but Dakota looks like he's going to be one great companion for a long time to come.

PS - I'm almost finished with "Marley and Me," but I'm definitely not looking forward to what sounds like a sad ending.

#273964 - 07/13/06 11:23 PM
hohoyumyum

"...a brief stint in the cut-throat world of copier sales..."

Cut-throat, huh? Was it really that exciting!? I'm gonna go get this book. Is it available in stores now?

--------------------

Agreed on all counts! new
      #273975 - 07/14/06 05:06 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Getting published was a pipe dream of mine, a long, long time ago. I have tons of respect for people who are actually able to do it. And the book sounds hysterical, so I will definitely have to get a copy!

Welcome to the boards, by the way.

#273976 - 07/14/06 05:11 AM
TP

Thanks, hohoyumyum! Since it's in some stores but not others, the surest and quickest way to get it is from Amazon.com or Barnes and Noble's web site - you'll usually receive it within 2-3 days. But your local bookstore can always order it for you even if they don't have it in stock.

Re: Agreed on all counts! new
      #273977 - 07/14/06 05:13 AM
TP

Thanks atomic rose...on all counts!

I'm not one, but.... new
      #273978 - 07/14/06 05:15 AM
atomic rose

Just wanted to say welcome to the boards! As another longtime sufferer (my symptoms started full-bore when I was 12... I'm 31 now), you have my complete sympathies. LOL!

The interesting thing is that I personally know (in "real life") far more men with IBS than women. At least with these guys, they're far more inclined to just "put up and shut up". I've suggested things like diet changes and they look at me like I've got 3 heads - they say they'd rather suffer. So maybe men aren't affected any less... some are just less likely to get diagnosed and treat it, or even just admit that it's a problem, so they don't get "counted" in the statistics, as it were. Just a theory.

My father has managed his IBS very well for years following something similar to the IBS diet here on this site - although he's never been to the site, I think it was more trial and error than anything else - and taking a fiber supplement. He insists that cantaloupe cured him. I'm not so sure about that, but like I can argue with my dad!

Re: I'm not one, but.... new
      #273981 - 07/14/06 06:28 AM
TP

I think your theory is right on target. Since I came out of the closet with my IBS a few years back, I can't believe how many other guys (some of them are very, very close friends) opened up and confessed that they'd been secretly struggling with IBS. Usually, it was the first time they'd ever discussed their issues with anybody else. Although, for the record, who knows if they really have IBS or not...of course, very few of them ever even THOUGHT about talking to a doctor about their symptoms because admitting to any kind of dysfunction in such a personal area would be too unthinkably embarrassing, not to mention extremely un-macho. That's the kind of messed-up attitude that led to me suffering for 14 years (I'm 39 now, but had symptoms since I was 21) before I finally broke down and went to see a doctor. Looking back, I realize what a moron I was for letting IBS hijack the best years of my life. Even if it's not an exact 50/50 split between men and women IBS sufferers, I'm convinced that there are far more men with the condition out there than the statistics suggest.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I'm going to run down to the store to buy some canteloupe

Haha! new
      #273984 - 07/14/06 06:54 AM
atomic rose

Be sure to eat your soluble fiber first! Actually, I'm convinced that Dad keeps suggesting cantaloupe simply because he knows how much I hate the stuff... then again, since one of the keys for a lot of people managing their symptoms is a good balance of fibers, maybe it's somewhat sound.

If it's any consolation, women can be just as stubborn, even if for different reasons. I wasn't diagnosed till I was 29. Enough said. But I wasn't necessarily embarassed - it was mostly that I was afraid there was something REALLY BAD wrong with me, and I figured I'd rather not know. Silly, really.

Glad to hear a guy say that my theory has some validity. After I posted it, I started worrying that I'd come off as a man-basher or something. LOL! That's not the case at all. Men and women - not all the time, but in a lot of cases - handle illness differently, and I think that really skews the statistics.

Enjoy your cantaloupe! (Blech.)

I think there are a lot of undiagnosed cases w/i both genders. new
      #274023 - 07/14/06 10:29 AM
hohoyumyum

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the actual IBS rate is closer to 50% of the world's population. I've read that some people figure in many areas of the world (especially where sanitation isn't up to scratch) a scary number of people suffer from GI problems and in other parts of the world it is just too taboo to discuss something like D or C and so people just suffer through it. And then there are people like myself who had it as a child but their parents wouldn't take them to get help.

--------------------

For me new
      #274079 - 07/14/06 03:45 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

I wasn't officially diagnosed until I was 39. I have suffered since early 20's but really rather mild until I had a hysterectomy when I was 36. After that my IBS was worse with the attacks more frequent.

I grew up with my Mother having attacks and rushing to the bathroom. I thought it was perfectly normal for the same thing to happen to me. I remember my sister and I going into a store to pick up something, I think we were 11 and 13, while my Mom waited in the car. When we came out she was gone. She had to rush and find a bathroom. She did come back a short while later though, LOL!

--------------------
Janey

Edited by Janey (07/14/06 04:00 PM)

Re: I think there are a lot of undiagnosed cases w/i both genders. new
      #274091 - 07/14/06 04:58 PM
TP

Since I'm going to be at the UNC IBS Patient Symposium tomorrow, I'm going to see if I can ask some of the experts what they think of our male/female & diagnosed/undiagnosed theories. It should be interesting to hear their take. If I learn anything new, I'll be sure to share it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2445 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5640

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review