All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Weight loss
      #271621 - 06/29/06 12:24 PM
Beaches05

Reged: 06/27/06
Loc: San Diego, California

First of all Thank-you all!!! Thanks to this website, I have hope. I am doing much research and thank God for Heather, this website and all of you! I have a question, there was mention that weight loss is not indicative of IBS. I have IBS that alternates D and constipation. I have lost 45lbs since December without any real reason. Although I am grateful for the weight loss. (I am not underweight and was struggling with unexplained weight gain.) I wanted to know if anyone has had experience with weight loss and IBS with no other contributing factors.

--------------------
Andrea

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Weight loss new
      #271640 - 06/29/06 01:18 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I have IBS-D and during my worst bouts I did lose a significant amount of weight. I've always struggled to keep weight on. This is mostly because of the fact that when I get bad attacks, I can't eat much at all. Are you eating less than you were before? That's enough to explain the weight loss.
Kat

--------------------
Kat

#271643 - 06/29/06 01:26 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Hi Beaches,

I have IBS-A too, and had a very similar experience to yours. I lost 20 pounds in the eight weeks before I was diagnosed. I was at the high end of my health weight range but a little heavy for my frame, not overweight though. I absolutely wasn't trying to lose weight but between not being able to eat and D attacks it fell off me.

Once diagnosed and once I got stable my weight got stable too. Since eating properly etc (I am stable since November/December 2004) I have probably gained back 8 of the 20 pounds, so I am 12 pounds lighter than I was and feel great.

The weight stayed off for me for the most part due to quitting dairy as I used to eat a lot of cheese and icecream which I cut completely. Heather's diet is low fat and healthy so as long as you don't do the realisation that lots of us do that sugar doesn't hurt so overindulge (ie bags of marshmallows etc) it should be easy to keep a lot of the weight that you want to keep off, off.

--------------------
S.

#271658 - 06/29/06 02:07 PM
Beaches05

Thank-you. That's very encouraging and I will be sure to follow your advice. I am anxiously waiting on my order from Heather. I have already taken dairy out completely and notice improvement. Take care.

--------------------
Andrea

#271659 - 06/29/06 02:13 PM
Beaches05

Thanks Kat. Yes, my appetite and fear of D kept me from eating the same. I was still surprised at the weight loss considering no exercise and poor nutrition. I have ordered my "beginners" package from Heather and look forward to learning more about my diet.

--------------------
Andrea

#271706 - 06/29/06 06:17 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Beaches,
I have been as low as 118 lbs and as high as 172 lbs with my ibs. And for no reason. Right now, I'm 122 and my GI wants me over 130 in case I have a bunch of bad attacks. He told me to stay above 130 in May when I was 133. Uh, opps, sorry, fell off that wagon. Can't keep the weight right now. But like you, I fluctuate lots for no reason. I have 3 wardrobes of different sized clothes!

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#271833 - 06/30/06 10:26 AM
Beaches05

Thanks Cassandra. I'm finding out the best part about this website is truly knowing I'm not alone. I just have a few clothes right now because I didn't want to keep buying new. But now I'll follow your lead and adjust my wardrobe to allow for shrinkage and growth.

--------------------
Andrea

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2706 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1270

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review