All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
confusion
      #271282 - 06/27/06 06:49 PM
tamtea

Reged: 06/27/06

Hi! I am currently trying to figure out if IBS is my actual problem. I have had all of the symptoms listed on this and other websites since high school (17 years or so) but I can't say that the severity has been constant. I am the type that gets bouts that are preceeded by stress and the symptoms can last as long as 3 weeks on a daily basis. I just had a 3 week go around with diarrhea, constipation, gas etc and finally got the nerve to talk to talk to my MD about it. Here's the problem...He ran some blood tests that I believe he said are to prove IBS. I don't see anything on the web or in any books that point to there being any such blood test. I must admit I was having a hard time concentrating on his comments as my 2 year old daughter was emptying the contents of my purse and wallet on the exam room floor. Does any one know what he may have been actually drawing blood for? I have been making recipes out of Eating for IBS and I do notice that I don't have stomach cramps after eating which leads me to believe I'm on the right path but what does normal digestion really feel like? It's been a long time since I didn't get gassy or worse after a meal!
If anyone has any help I would appreciate it greatly. So gald to have found you all! Tam

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Get a new doctor. new
      #271296 - 06/27/06 07:50 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

There is no blood test to prove that you have IBS. IBS is diagnosed when all other possibilities have been ruled out. There are all kinds of tests that need to be done and you need to work with a GI. Don't be embarassed about discussing this with a GI. They are used to this and the best way to get help is to be upfront and honest. You are diagnosed with IBS when nothing wrong can be found but you are still experiencing symptoms. In the meantime, this diet won't hurt any and it sounds like it is providing you with some relief already. That's a great thing. It's normal with IBS to have symtoms come and go and for the severity to change from one attack to another. Post any and all questions you have. Everyone is here to help.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: confusion new
      #271388 - 06/28/06 10:18 AM
asianrei

Reged: 05/19/06
Loc: Flordia

Blood test is a base line what doctors do to see if you are in a good health. Yes, there is no blood test for IBS but you can tell a lot about your current health throught blood test. Just in case, there is no other problems with you.

It sounded like IBS.

--------------------
Had my IBS since 2001 after 9/11

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 860 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 531

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review