All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: red meat new
      #269466 - 06/14/06 04:20 PM
chely24

Reged: 02/22/06
Loc: ohio

I eat tuna and thats it lol.. Ive always hated fish.. my aunt has to do with that though (thats another story ) ive never heard of the rice milk etc. alternatives but ill definitely have to try it... i usually drink 1% milk and 98% of the time it doesnt bother me too much. I can tolerate pork pretty well as long as its not fried.like pork chops..

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/rachelle423

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I have no red meat and take a multivitamin and do just fine... new
      #269481 - 06/14/06 05:59 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

For some people, maybe, red meat is needed in their diet. But, there are plenty of vegetarians and vegans who would strongly disagree. I think the doc is wrong, which would be no surprise to me.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#269488 - 06/14/06 06:12 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Yeah I had that problem too. I was always tested for my iron levels which came out fine so they said I wasn't anemic. But after telling my doc that I stopped eating red meat, dairy and eggs, she immediately sent me to get my B12 tested and it was very low. Iron and B12 are separate things and you can be low in one without being low in the other. You should get your B12 checked and if it's low then take vitamins. It's useless to take the vitamins if your B12 isn't low.

Hope you get it sorted out,
Kat

--------------------
Kat

#269500 - 06/14/06 06:46 PM
chely24

ill definitely do that, im seeing a new doctor on monday, i decided to switch since the one i had didnt listen to me, so i have to write stuff down so ill remember to ask him about it, so ill have him check my thyroid level (i have hypothyroidism) check me for fibro as my ibs dr suggested and check my b12..

--------------------

#269526 - 06/14/06 08:39 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Well, my IBS has never been as bad as what some people on here experience, but I can tolerate red meat just fine. I'm most sensitive to insoluble fiber, so I have to be really careful with that and chew extremely well.

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Meat good new
      #269544 - 06/15/06 01:57 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I handle read meat just fine. Just no cooking with butter or greese, no spices and no scrapmeats, and it doesn't bother my belly.

We're all built differently, and I'm so thankful I can tolerate meat because I can eat only so many things!

I'm a big advocate of Whatever Works, so if meat works for you, don't let anyone tell you it's not "right." Watch your iron, sodium and fat levels, and you'll be ifne. Things can stop working at a drop of a hat, so hold on to what you've got!

Best of luck and {{{{HUGS}}}}--

~nelly~

Re: Meat good new
      #269603 - 06/15/06 08:20 AM
chely24

thanks nelly!!.. im such a picky eater so when i cant eat this or that its really tough lol.. i have to sit down and think of the foods i really like and try them to see if they have effect on me, but i keep thinking if red meat dont really bother me too much,and i eat it again, what if i dont lose weight..i have soo much to lose.. so thats part of why i cut red meat out in the beginning.. im eating right, i just have to find the energy to exercise

--------------------

Be careful about this ... new
      #269683 - 06/15/06 03:00 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

If you aren't stable -- i.e. you still have to treat your IBS w/ meds, or you're getting attacks -- then it's nearly impossible to know what you truly CAN tolerate. It can often take quite awhile for something to work its way through your system, too, so having an attack a few hours after dinner does not necessarily mean that it was the dinner -- it could have been last night's dinner.

If you really truly can tolerate foods that are on the trigger list (like red meat or dairy), that's fantastic -- BUT, if you're not stable, you won't be able to tell what's making you sick, so you're only sabotaging yourself by adding trigger foods back in while you're still having attacks. Remember, too, that a trigger food won't necessarily make you sick every time -- maybe it only makes you sick 2 out of 8 times instead. But you will never know ahead of time which 2 times it will be.

By the way, I was also a really picky eater, but I found that the sicker I got, the less picky I was. I would have eaten lightly toasted cardboard if it wouldn't have given me D. So I guess that having horrible bowel problems can be good for your character.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: Be careful about this ... new
      #269725 - 06/15/06 05:54 PM
chely24

I have to run right after i eat, sometimes while im eating.. 98% of the time.. like it goes right through... so does that mean the food im eating at that moment is the trigger food??..and sometimes i have to run in the mornings so maybe thats from food i ate the night before? im still so confused about this whole thing.. my dr said i have a very severe case of it so its hard cause i know its gonna take a while to figure out what i can and cant eat, i want it to be an overnight thing but thats impossible..

--------------------

Hey, Nelly...about this food tolerance stuff new
      #269735 - 06/15/06 06:23 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Okay, I cannot tolerate much, like you. This is a creepy question, but are there any vegetables you can tolerate? Everytime I try and delude myself that I can tolerate a diversity of vegetables, I set myself up for D-attacks. As soon as green things are a part of the picture, I'm screwed. Sure, Beano is great for gas, but not for D! Lately, I'm so bad that the smell of anything dark green will give me that gurgle--especially anything sulfurous like spinach or broccoli or asparagus or green beans. I think the greenest thing I can stomach without a problem is zucchini.

So...these are the only vegetables I seem to be able to eat (relatively safely and not in the morning):

zucchini
peeled carrots
most squashes
peeled potatoes
peeled sweet potatoes
beets
mushrooms

Now that I won't even try to fake myself out with veggies that will catch up with me, I have to eat the SF stuff like white rices and quinoa and potatoes. (Wheat is a big trigger and I eat gf)

I'm just asking you because you're a sensitive type, like me. When I actually follow Heather's diet principles I don't use much Immodium.

I'm trying to reprogram my mind to be okay with this kind of diet. (My grocery bill is getting too cheap for comfort, lol!) I'm in anti-meat mode.

Sorry for babbling.

Kate.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 322 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3065

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review