All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Monkey bites, Elephant rides, a Thai prostitute, and a bike wreck! I'm back!
      #268629 - 06/10/06 11:17 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Some people opt for Rest&Relaxation on their trips, some go for the High Adventure. In this case, the High Adventure just found me. *angelic look* Sigh, I seem to be a magnet for this kind of thing.

What a long strange trip it's been! I've enjoyed pristine beaches and jungles with bugs the size of your HEAD, a bareback elephant ride that definitely was not on the brochure, being attacked by a berzerk monkey who bit me 6-7 times on the leg (aren't we supposed to be safe at a ZOO??), plus a motorbike wreck that landed me in a Thai hospital for a couple days hooked up to electric voltage (think Frankenstein!).

But I did get daily massages from a Bangkok prostitute (plus Thai lessons), got to see a snake handler get bitten by a cobra during a demonstration, get promised a "free car" by a Thai scam ring (haven't received it yet), and got to spend some time in a Thai police station [witness Nelly on her BEST BEHAVIOUR possible!] as her BF gets cited for breaking considerable traffic laws (they took away his bike, and he got off LUCKY). He did eventually get the bike back after a few lectures. Hah.

So in all, by default, I took the High Adventure route. Looking forward to a few days of rest and relaxation after that particular holiday!!!

Highlights Section
Welcome to our FAQ Section, skim at will!:

How is your leg? My bike scrapes and bruises are healing nicely. Thanks for asking!

Where are the pictures, Nelly? Pictures to follow.

Why did you spend so much time with a Bangkok prostitute? She was invited and so was I. So we got to speak a lot of Thai together. I had spent 3 months with my In-Flight Thai CD so I could hold together a vaguely gramatically identifiable sentance. But she filled in the blanks nicely, and I imediately noticed that when we went shopping together, the prices she was quoted had considerably fewer zeros than anything offered me... Plus she was always offering to rub my back, massage my hands and feet and massage my head. BF could take a page from that!

Did you get a massage every day, then? Yes.

What did you buy? Everything that wasn't nailed down. Lucky for my bank account, One Size Fits All is alive and well in southeeast Asia. So no clothes found their way back home exept for several ornamentally decorated white tunics I fell in love with. BF picked up all the Ecko and Diesel shirts he could find. I was more in the market for knicknacks, including bed silks, scarves, carved elephants and wooden fish, and more local art.

How about food? Yes! I managed to eat!! I avoided all dishes orange or red (expertly colored to no doubt warn the tourists about their radioactive ambient heat.) But I did eat well when I learned "mai peh" means "no spice" So I did try a lot of traditional dishes containing boo, goon, gai, moo, mua, and blah (translation: crab, shrinp, chicken, pork, beef and fish). Gotta love languages. Next: Nely counts to 50.

OK, so that's the Cliffs Notes! Got a lot of stories and touristic insight, including an headscratching inquiry regarding the tendency fo the local hill tribes to trade their daily fish catch for heroin! Insight appreciated!

I'm going to try to post some pics today soon! Missed you all terribly!!!

~nelly~ (Back in America)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Monkey bites, Elephant rides, a Thai prostitute, and a bike wreck! I'm back! new
      #268633 - 06/10/06 11:49 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

oh my goodness!! Never a boring moment for you Nelly!

Sounds like a great trip regardless, and I'm glad you're home in one piece (because from the sound of your vaca.. that was not entirely likely!)

How are you recovering from a monkey attack? now that sounds dangerous! Has your Thai prostitute returned to the states with you as well?

Can't wait to see the pics!

--------------------

How I spent my spring vacation new
      #268634 - 06/10/06 12:05 PM
Nelly

LOL, technically it was my BF's dad's Thai prostitute (I didn't get one, tho I WAS propositioned!! LOL!). BF and I are home, but he's staying with her in northern Thailand and I think he's buying a house for her. (To own a house outright, with a/c, is about $3600. Damn, I wish we could get those prices in MD!!!!!)

Ah the monkey. BF wanted me to check the customs box about being around the vicinity of livestock. I refused. (Monkeys as livestock?) Every now and again I get the impulse to bite someone, but no other signs of any kind of monkeypox. Will keep everyone posted.

I called my friends in England from the Thai hospital and they laughed until they cried. Everyone agrees I'm completely useless, and they wouldn't have been surprised had I'd landed in quarantine. Stoopid friends. They know too much.

Though I wouldn't be surprised sometime next year to find Tim the prostitute knocking at our door with BF's half brother. Sigh. Men are so weird.

~nelly~

It's Shan... new
      #268658 - 06/10/06 02:18 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

jeez, girl. What a boring holiday, LOL!

That is muy coolie for a vaca!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: Monkey bites, Elephant rides, a Thai prostitute, and a bike wreck! I'm back! new
      #268705 - 06/10/06 06:56 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

Hey!! Sounds like you had a fine time in Thailand. Did you see any of the old temples, or hidden lakes? And shopping with a Thai prostitute ... that was a good idea taking a local with you.

I am anxiuos to see any pictures that you might share...

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#268711 - 06/10/06 07:19 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Nelly,

That's a Grateful Dead song! I don't think they are singing about a trip to Thailand though, LOL!

Sounds like you had a very exciting time. Life will be extremely boring now that you are back home. Glad to hear there are no side effects from the monkey bites. You may want to worry a bit if you start grooming your BF.

My husband lived in Thailand many years ago when he was in the Air Force. He loved it there!

Glad to have you back,

--------------------
Janey

That... new
      #268727 - 06/10/06 08:25 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

was a great story. When will it be made in to a mini series? LOL.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

All aboard!! ...The traaain!! new
      #268728 - 06/10/06 08:42 PM
Nelly

I have several lingering leftovers from my trip including a strand or two of green hair from the beach resort pool, and a deep throb from my right shoulder, which refuses to stay in its assigned socket thanks to a rough landing off my [former] motor transportation device.

So overt signs of monkey pox yet. [Note to self, Google "monkey Pox" and "Monkeys that bite and women who love them."]

I have GOT to figure out to get these pics into my computer! Seems I'm lacking an input device... I'll get it sorted out soon. These epics are so much more vivid when colorized.

~nelly~

Re: That... new
      #268729 - 06/10/06 08:44 PM
Nelly

Trying to get a production deal through Disney. Or Pixar, preferably. No songs, though, I draw the line at songs.

~nelly~ (Mike Tyson is #1 to animate the voice of the Bad monkey)

Ask Cailin new
      #268730 - 06/10/06 08:47 PM
Nelly

How cool our LAST vacation was! Or Natalie, Brittany, Tommy, Tina or Dalia! Good times, good times.

I need to eventually hang out with Michele and Shelby Jean for sure. Now there's where the action is! I think Mel is next, though!!!!!

~nelly~

Fun in the jungle! new
      #268738 - 06/10/06 09:30 PM
Nelly

I biked through the jungle after landing about 2 hours South of Bangkok, into Phuket to see a great waterfall plus lots of jungle tracks by animals big enough to eat my husky dog, no doubt!! It was just me on my loaded bike with all my photo equipment, lots of bottled water, and some dried snacks for the trip. And lots of fanta orange, tee, hee.

The scenery is breathtaking. Blues, greens, the clear air... everything going on until the end of time.

I was in Kata, Karon, and Patong where I saw wild elephant tracks on the beach (too cool) and the occassional German skinny-dipper. The seascape is so prehistoric. Even the sea eagles were as big and fluffy as American bald eagles (ie, don't mess with them!) Here want a sandwich? Oh, take my whole arm? Suuure...! No problem! *HEY somebody get me OUTTA here!!*

Hill villiagers walking around with nothing nore than scraps of clothes to cover what they didn't want scortched by the sun, offering us ice cold cokes in glass bottles for 16 Baht (1 dollar = 37 baht), or a sun shade whittled out of bamboo for 100 Baht. (Nelly's conversion rate: $3, or about 1/2 a Guinness)

Ok... Grummmphh! [fumbling with picture noise] Be back soon for pics in glorious RGB!

~nelly~

Oh yes oh yes... new
      #268757 - 06/11/06 07:09 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

you wana hear about her driving into the unknown with some randomer on a motorbike???!!! YES YES....ONLY NELLY!!!

--------------------
Natalie

Re: Oh yes oh yes... new
      #268771 - 06/11/06 07:35 AM
Nelly

...A very nice man named Stephen something. We honked at sheep and made them jump! Ah, Ireland. OK, I like adventure.

~nelly~

Re: Oh yes oh yes... new
      #268892 - 06/12/06 11:39 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hey girlfriend! Never a dull moment! Hope you get those pictures downloaded soon! Nice to have you back!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#268908 - 06/12/06 12:43 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Nelly, I love your captions and your episodic narration.

Kate.

I'm cracking up here.... new
      #268924 - 06/12/06 01:08 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Nelly you have a gift!
Yes ladies and gents, never a dull moment when Cousin Nell is visiting

--------------------
S.

omg that was too much!! new
      #268928 - 06/12/06 01:13 PM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

i'm sorry your trip was kinda looney like that...but funny as heck!!! that's the kinda luck we all tend to have once in a while, but sure sounds like you have some memorable memories!!! waht a whacky trip, but sounds great never-the-less!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 317 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2812

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review