All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Random symptoms - anyone any idea what this is?
      #266143 - 05/29/06 05:20 AM
Blondie13

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Sheffield, England

Been feeling pretty 'off' and tired for a few days, but had some other weird symptoms, that have escalated yesterday and today:

- Rash on my hands, arms and fingers. Itchy like crazy. Pinky/red spots. Also some on my rib area, in the centre.
- Swollen lips - both my lips are swollen like crazy, red, sore/stinging, and when you look close the swelling is made up of lots of tiny bumps. Also at the corner of my mouth.
- Swollen/itchy/red/dry eyes - one eye is very swollen and red, mainly at the side of my eye closest to my nose. The other eye is itchy and a bit swollen, with a red, dry, sore little patch between my eyelid and eyebrow.
- Little white lumpy spots on my tongue, mainly towards the back.
- Had bright (like nearly fluroescent) yellow diarrhoea this morning
- Also, though not sure if it's related, have been really hot the last few days (not like me, I'm the one who's always cold) - it's not been nice weather here at all, but the day before yesterday my whole back was literally dripping with sweat, which, whilst I get sweaty armpits, is not normal for me.
- I'm also slightly sensitive to light - sun just come out and as it comes through the window I'm finding myself squinting, and was headachey/feeling sick last night.

Probably all randon, unrelated things, but boyfriend/mum thinks it's either Measles (even though I've been vaccinated as a child) or Shingles (because I had chicken pox as a child). We've called NHS direct, and a nurse will ring us back in about 2 hours. If swelling on eyes/lips gets any worse we're going to go to a NHS Walk In centre in Nottingham, open til 9pm.

Feel really pants as was supposed to be going to J's mums today for lunch, along with J's sister Claire and her fiance Adrian, as well as Adrians parents and grandparents -who I haven't met yet. But for various reasons I now have not been able to go as Measles or other viral infections are highly contagious. Jamie's gone for a while, but I'm stuck here feeling poo.

Also worried about attending the Walk In centre as I've had D, bright yellow too, all morning, and Immodium doesn't seem to be stopping it - so add that to my IBS-D and I'm petrified of leaving the house! No idea how long I'll have to wait to see someone or what facilities they'll have...

Sorry for going on, just feel pants, and no idea what's wrong

--------------------
http://ibsblondie13.blogspot.com/

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Blondie, any better? new
      #266148 - 05/29/06 06:09 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Have you been to the clinic yet? Those symptoms are definately connected, but not to our lovely IBS! Fever, bumps, sores on you tongue sound like an infection or severe reaction to something. Keep up posted! Hope you're feeling better soon!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Poor Blondie... new
      #266152 - 05/29/06 06:48 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

That sounds nasty, get yourself to a dr/the clinic asap.
You poor thing, you hardly go outside, how did you manage to pick this up? The swollen lip and rashes sound like an allergic reaction to something but I have no idea what.

Hope you get diagnosed and treated asap

Hugs

--------------------
S.

GO TO THE HOSPITAL ASAp please!!! new
      #266161 - 05/29/06 07:28 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Sounds like an allergic reaction. Several years ago, I had the rash and lip swelling thing and it was pretty serious. They had to inject me right away and I had to take anti-histamine's for the next week every day. It must have been something I ate. You can't mess around with this as it can close off your airweay if it gets very bad

Please have this checked out!!! Taking any new meds? Eat anything within 24-72 hours that you don't normally eat/drink?

Re: GO TO THE HOSPITAL ASAp please!!! new
      #266168 - 05/29/06 09:10 AM
pinkprincess

Reged: 08/17/05
Loc: Manchester, u.k

aw huni! least its not ur ibs...hope it is ok. please keep us updated...I`l worry about you otherwise! Hope things are ok and getting sorted. BIG HUGS Jo xx

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/jo_elsmere

P.S. new
      #266172 - 05/29/06 09:38 AM
Sara-Sage

I had shingles a few years back. But, I don't know if this is typical, I only had it on a tiny spot on my lower back. It was SUUUUPER painful and affected all the muscles in that area. I went to a clinic for something unrelated and just happened to show the doctor my "rash". He said it was almost gone so it didn't require treatment.

All this to say that I don't think you have shingles only because I had it and my symptoms were nothing like yours. My primary symptom with is was PAIN. And it lasted for a month or so. I just thought I was really run down.

You might have a virus of some sort or just be run down? But as I said, please have it checked out Caroline!!!

Re: Well... new
      #266178 - 05/29/06 10:27 AM
Blondie13

...we ended up going to the NHS walk-in centre (kind of like a free mini accident and emergency type thing, staffed by nurses), and as the receptionist was taking my symptoms down there was a nurse behind her.

The receptionist said "sorry, we have a 2 hrs wait, is that ok?" - I was like fine, it'd be even longer at the hospital. BUT the nurse heard and came over to look - she examined the rashes on my hands and arms, and looked at my eyes and, by this time, now ridiculously swollen lips. She said it definitely looks like an allergic reactions - measles would cause painful rashes not itchy ones. She also took my temperature which was fine.

I'd mentioned my IBS when she asked what medication I was taking and she was lovely - she says since I had IBS and wouldn't particularly love the 2 hr wait she'd look at me then, and did. She said to keep taking the antihistamine I've been taking (Zirtek, which I take for hayfever anyway), and also to top it up with Piriton tonight. Other than that use a good barrier cream on my lips. She said if it was worse tomorrow, or any new symptoms appeared to go to the doctor tomorrow - because even if it's an allergic reaction they might be able to give me something to help, which the nurses can't.

(Side-note - was really embarassing, as the reception is in the waiting room and there's all these people there with a 2hr wait, babies and everything, and this nurse examined me at the reception! Jamie had to pop back in when we'd done to get the code to get out the car park, and there were 5 people at the desk complaining! Don't feel too bad tho - think we were due a bit of luck...)

SO.... My lips are still killing me, and so swollen, by the eye swelling has gone down a little. They checked my breathing was ok to rule out a really serious reaction, and asked if I'd changed anything - food, medication, face wash, face cream, etc, and I haven't, at all. All the stuff I'm using hair/face-wise is stuff I've used for months and months, and I can't think of any different food I've had.

My mum thought though that it might be something in our garden - I've started gardening over the past couple of weeks, and thinking back I actually had a rash on one of my fingers a couple of weeks back, that's grossly scabbing over now.

What does everyone think - some plant in the garden?

PS - edited to add: I did forget to mention the lumps on my tongue and my bright yellow D, but I'm thinking she would've still come to the same conclusion...

--------------------

Edited by Blondie13 (05/29/06 10:28 AM)

Re: Thanks Toady! My eye's much better, but lips still killing... nt new
      #266179 - 05/29/06 10:27 AM
Blondie13

--------------------

Re: Poor Blondie... new
      #266180 - 05/29/06 10:30 AM
Blondie13

Thanks Sinead - that was exactly what I said - "how can I have caught something, I've only left the house once in 2 weeks?!!".

If it is something in my garden though looks like it might be something closer to home... It's funny, til the IBS started nearly 2 years ago I was hardly ever ill, sensitive to nothing, etc, just had hayfever. Now I'm a walking medical case study!!

--------------------

Re: Thankyou, and I did do. Did you find out what you were allergic to? new
      #266181 - 05/29/06 10:33 AM
Blondie13

Your experience sounded horrible - did you find out what caused it?

They checked my airways and stuff so I think that would've been the warning sign that it was really severe, but it's fine. I have trouble swallowing but that's something I've always had, since a child - very rarely notice anymore.

I'll post a pic of my lips in a bit - so gross! And my word do they hurt - it's like I've a bunch of hard, dry cuts on my mouth and I've got salt in them...

Ah well, some stuff's happened in our family recently that's made me grateful it's just nothing serious. If I'm any worse at all tomorrow I'll drive back up to my parents and see my doc up there. It's made the point very clearly that I need to see about moving to a doc down here...

--------------------

Re: Thanks Jo. Yep, eye much better, & it's not measles - so no need to worry :) nt new
      #266182 - 05/29/06 10:35 AM
Blondie13

--------------------

Re: Poor Blondie... new
      #266183 - 05/29/06 10:35 AM
pinkprincess

Glad ur ok...if you have hayfever then you could be really alergic to one type?? maybe?
jo x

--------------------

#266184 - 05/29/06 11:27 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

y'know it sounds exactly like Will Smith in Hitch- his lips and eyes swelled up really like balloons- send Jamie to Blockbuster to get it for you!

Hope you are feeling better, you really did get some good luck in the clinic but I suppose what was wrong with you was so straightforward for the clinic,plus maybe your swelling was scaring the children and babies Only kidding.

Feel better soon, and less of that rambling through your backyard jungle with all its poisons!

--------------------
S.

#266189 - 05/29/06 12:44 PM
pinkprincess

haha love the hitch joke...and if you haven`t all seen it it is a great film!

--------------------

Re: Thankyou, and I did do. Did you find out what you were allergic to? new
      #266200 - 05/29/06 02:22 PM
Sara-Sage

Ok good!!! Glad you got it looked at! Did they give you anything to bring it down?

I never figured out what caused it. The night it happened I made myself a vegetarian Hungarian stew. I looked at all the ingredients in it and thought maybe it was the cabbage? So I've avoided that veggie ever since.

Mt lips didn't hurt but I didn't post that my FEET were so swollen that I couldn't put any shoes on and couldn't walk. It was no fun. I was away at college and my roommate was the one that made me go to the hospital. She came with me but we didn't have to wait long as they saw me right away.

#266203 - 05/29/06 02:26 PM
Sara-Sage

YES, could be the garden. I had a flower garden one summer and EVERY time I worked in it I always got a rash, not a severe reaction like my food allergy but I say it you've had enough expsure to it it's very likely.

Can you avoid the garden for a while? Or wear gloves and wash your hands and face thoroughly after you garden?

For mouth sores new
      #266232 - 05/29/06 05:18 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Blondie,
My dr. told me about Sodium Perborate to use for mouth sores. In Canada it is sold as Oral-B Amosan. Check with your pharmacist. It is a powder, put it in warm water and rinse your mouth 30 seconds, 2 times, and do this 3 times a day. It worked awesome for me. I have tongue sores and they think it might be from Celiac disease - this helps me to at least eat, b/c the pain from the sores is unbelievable! Good luck, hope you are feeling better soon!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2336 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2534

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review