All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I'm going to Texas!
      #265059 - 05/23/06 02:38 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

My husband has a conference in Austin next week. We're going to fly out on Friday and I will stay until Monday morning. He will stay on till Thursday.

Is anyone familiar enough with the area to give me some ideas of what there is to do there? I've heard it's a great place to visit but I'm looking for some things to do with my DH.

A vacation! Woo hoooo!

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Gosh I wish you were coming to Houston! new
      #265060 - 05/23/06 02:47 PM
nomorepooch

Reged: 04/18/06

I don't know anything about Austin other than it is our state capitol. I am sure if you google Austin, TX you will get the city website. Have fun!

--------------------
Have a blessed day! Rachel
Formerly poochibelly...
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Re: I'm going to Texas! new
      #265070 - 05/23/06 03:04 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Well, I live here. So what kind of things are you looking to do? The Texas State History Museum is very cool. You should probably go see the bats fly out from under the Congress Street Bridge. The new world headquarters of Whole Foods is kind of astounding and worth a visit. The shopping on Congress is fun. The food is awesome, but where I would send you depends on how strictly you're following the IBS diet.

#265152 - 05/23/06 05:14 PM
Flipada

I've never been to Texas before so I'm excited. We're going to try to go to some Gospel breakfast? DH said he heard it was really cool. I saw a spot on TV about the bats...we're going to try to get there, too. Any fun live music spots? We like a lot of different kinds but love the Blues.

So, I've heard it's going to be hot. Are we talking hot, very hot, or scorching? I want to be prepared with appropriate clothes. I live in Michigan so what do I know?

--------------------
**Lauren**

#265165 - 05/23/06 06:05 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Oh, the gospel brunch is at either Threadgills or Stubbs (they both have one). I'm guessing Threadgills. We've never been there but I've heard good things. There are tons and tons of music spots here (live music capitol of the world and all). I'd just pick up a Chronicle (local weekly) and see who's playing.

I'm not sure what you're definition of hot and scortching is. You lose all sense of perspective down here. Right now I'd say it's hot, but not too bad. Probably 95 or so. Later this summer it will be 105 or more and that's more intolerable. I'd bring light clothing.

My favorite restaurants here are Chez Zee (slightly fancier with awesome desserts), Opal Divine's (great veggie burgers and fries and drinks), Claypit (Northern Indian fusion), Trudy's (tex-mex), Casa de Luz (all organic vegan- very IBS friendly), Madras Pavillion (Southern Indian, all vegetarian). And like I said, the World Headquarters of Whole Foods is fun- it's a grocery store amusement park with seven or eight built in restaurants.

Walking around Town Lake is a lot of fun and good exercise. If you like movies, the Alamo Drafthouse downtown does awesome film fests and special events. They do a live version of Mystery Science Theatre called Mr Sinus Theatre where comedians make fun of bad films. Alamo is also a full service restaurant (you have to buy tickets in advance cause they always sell out).

Hmm... that's what I've got for the moment!

Edited: Oh and many Austinites will be quick to state that Austin is nothing like the rest of the state.

#265211 - 05/24/06 03:04 AM
Flipada

Chinagirl,
Thanks so much for the info. I'll let you know what I did when I get back!
Woo hoooo

--------------------
**Lauren**

Re: Gosh I wish you were coming to Houston! new
      #265217 - 05/24/06 06:03 AM
karabear

Reged: 04/02/06
Loc: Houston, Texas

What part of Houston do you live in? I live about 15 minutes from the med center.

I was excited to see there are some people on the boards that live in Texas!

Lauren, enjoy Austin! It's a fun city.

--------------------
Kara

Houston GI doc? new
      #265267 - 05/24/06 08:17 AM
karabear

Reged: 04/02/06
Loc: Houston, Texas

Also, do you have a good GI doc in Houston? I'm currently looking for a new one.

Thanks!

--------------------
Kara

Re: Houston GI doc? new
      #265609 - 05/25/06 05:50 PM
nomorepooch

Reged: 04/18/06

There is a Dr. Banker in Humble that I have heard was good but I haven't seen him. I wasn't all that thrilled with the GI doc I saw or his staff so I won't bother sharing his name with you. His office is in the hospital right there on the outside of the loop.

I have heard good things about Dr. Banker but cannot vouch for him myself.

--------------------
Have a blessed day! Rachel
Formerly poochibelly...
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5902 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1021

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review