All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I changed my major today!
      #264851 - 05/22/06 02:32 PM
Computr821

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA/ Baltimore, MD

Yes, I am no longer a Mechanical Engineering (BSE) major. Instead, I am now seeking a Bachelor of Applied Science in Computer Science (BAS).

It's been fun trying to talk this out at home because I have no idea what I want to do with this degree but I really need to get out of MechE. A really (and I do mean, REALLY) bad grade in a required MechE course served as the impetus for something I had been thinking about anyway.

Biggest problem right now is that I am a rising junior and I don't know for sure if I can complete the degree in 2 years and graduate with the rest of my class. And, if I later decide to switch to a Bachelor of Science and Engineering (BSE) it'll take an entire extra year.

Why can't college life be simple?

Avidan

--------------------
Why'd you have to go and make me so constipated?
--'Weird' Al Yankovic, "A Complicated Song"

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I changed my major today! new
      #264862 - 05/22/06 02:54 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Quote:

Why can't college life be simple?

Because then it wouldn't be college!

I changed my major so many times it was a wonder I made it out in 4 years. Seriously, you never know where college is going to take you.

I changed from telecommunications to journalism at orientation. At the end of my freshman year, I switched from journalism to sociology. For a short time, I doubled in soc. & anthropology then finally ended up with just the anthropology major. I wiped out 12 credits by taking them as part of a field school.

But, it's better to change your major as a rising junior than to end up like one of my cousins. One semester shy of graduation, he decided he HATED being a business major. He did finish, but then he ended up waiting tables for a few years before he decided what he really wanted to do. He is now an English and theatre teacher!

it never is simple.. new
      #264932 - 05/23/06 04:36 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

tahts why there are so many students who take 5 years- with some summer classes and a heavier courseload could you do the 4 year thing and get what you want?

Good luck! I changed majors many times and don't even work in the field my degree is in, it is one of the fields I studied- I minored in it...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Welcome to the world of CS! new
      #264934 - 05/23/06 05:43 AM
Becca LG

Reged: 04/07/06
Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Congrats!! I'm a CS too (graduated a year ago though). Just a suggestion out of the ordinary that I did with my degree: you can work for a medical device company There is software, hardware, and testing for both, as well as internal comp applications that are needed in any medical device company. On a similar note, companies that make airplanes (Boeing for example) use lots of computer people too. Some go into consulting (thats where the long hours and money are...) and some go into the stereotypical job: Microsoft, IBM, Apple, Google, etc or startup comp companies.

There is so much to do!! Also, there is a lot within comp sci... I concentrated in artificial intelligence, but now I'm doing medical applications... there is networking and security stuff, operating systems stuff, and more...

Anyway, congrats on switching majors (we all do it, I was a Chem E for a while) and good luck!!
-Becca

--------------------
At least I've learned a lot about my
body...

IBS-A and still figuring things out

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1075 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 619

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review