Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Need help brainstorming for a job
      #263522 - 05/15/06 03:20 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Guys,

I'm in desperate need of some help. As many of you know, I've been off work for almost a year for mental health issues. My private insurance company has decided that even though I'm no better than I was, I should return to work. All 3 of my doctors are adamently against it, plus I know there is no way I can handle it right now. So I'm going through an appeal process but have just been informed that I am no longer going to be paid I have a lawyer who is going to be taking care of the appeal because my doctors feel the treatment I've received has just been making me worse.

So, in the meantime, I need to do something for money (obviously). I could try applying for government disability (which I'd probably qualifiy for) but I really don't want to do that for personal reasons PLUS it takes upwards of three months to qualify and Scott and I can't get by for that long with only his income. He's willing to try and get a second job (he's currently working overnights) but I can't expect him to do that...plus it would likely be more detrimental to me to be on my own all the time.

So, if anyone has any suggestions...I would be so incredibly grateful. Basically I need something that is fairly low stress, isn't likely to involve being yelled at over the telephone (i.e. no call center jobs) and if possible, something at night or overnights would probably be best (but not necessary). The BEST thing would be some sort of independent contractor work from home position...but I don't know of any that are legit and work for Canadians.

My main skills are my computer skills, proficient in Windows, MS Office, email and internet (obviously) and can type approx. 110wpm.

Anyways, if anyone can help me a million thanks to you

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need help brainstorming for a job new
      #263526 - 05/15/06 03:41 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

How about maintenance? Most offices and banks have cleaning staffs come in after regular working hours.

#263527 - 05/15/06 03:42 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Sorry to hear that you are being bullied into going back to work before you are ready Kelly.

Do you dictaphone type? If so I know that over here lawyers are always looking for typists and you have an amazing speed, plus you work to your own hours. My friend's sister has built up a business doing this by simply sticking up notices in law courts and from that she has gotten more and more work.

Her clients courier a dictaphone tape to her and she types the stuff up and emails it to them. She has four young kids and she works it in around their schedules. It all depends on the availabilty of that sort of work in your location but it might be worth a try?

--------------------
S.

#263540 - 05/15/06 04:56 PM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

I think Sinead has an excellent idea. I have also heard about people getting paid to proofread stuff online. How you get started doing that, I have no idea...

--------------------

Just a thought...or two new
      #263543 - 05/15/06 05:11 PM
Sailing Away

Reged: 03/31/05

I know that when I was working with college students that they were often looking for people to type their term papers/masters thesis. I am actually looking at doing it part-time at home since it pays fairly well here with the law and medical school and three private colleges. Also there is a chance that the college or high schools might be looking for someone to help students type their papers. The disability services office might be the best place to see if they need assistance with people typing essay exam answers for the students. It usually doesn't pay well in the disability services offices (usually athletics paid more), but definitely seemed to be a good place to get started and get referrals for other typing assignments.

The other thing might be checking with real estate/lien/title opinion offices to see if they need someone to type up the title opinions. Many times people will dictate them and need someone to type them up. Hope this helps. Drop me an email if you need some more information.

-Michelle

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 892 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 656

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review