All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Article on RA
      #262507 - 05/09/06 11:12 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Since we seem to have several girls now with symptoms of RA, I thought I'd post this for everyone to read. Its a little technical in some spots but explains the disease well. I should send pictures of my hands, wrists and knee's in though because they are way more swollen than the ones they picture!!

http://www.arthritis.co.za/ra.html

Anyways, I found it interesting and thought i might help people understand RA a bit better. I wish I had read this before, especially the chest inflammation part, could have saved myself a trip to the ER!! On a happy note though, I found some really cute little "bralettes" at Wal Mart today for $4.84!!! I think they are supposed to be training bra's for young girls, they are like a half tank tap, just a "shelf" kind of thing and they aren't as hot as wearing a full cami! I still can't wear a real bra!!!! I hope the meds start working SOOOONNN!!!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Michele.... new
      #262539 - 05/09/06 03:03 PM
nomorepooch

Reged: 04/18/06

When did all of the swelling in your hands and stuff start? I don't remember .

--------------------
Have a blessed day! Rachel
Formerly poochibelly...
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Thanks Michele new
      #262579 - 05/09/06 07:13 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

This is a very informative article. There is so much info out there on RA it is overwhelming.

--------------------
Janey

diet to help? new
      #262591 - 05/09/06 09:38 PM
Becca LG

Reged: 04/07/06
Loc: Minneapolis, MN

I know my mom has arthritis and avoids certain foods (tomatoes, peppers, citrusy things) and that helps her alot... not to suggest cutting out some foods that you'd be able to eat with IBS but just curious if you've read anything about that or if you've tried it.
Thanks for posting the info!

-Becca

--------------------
At least I've learned a lot about my
body...

IBS-A and still figuring things out

Re: Article on RA new
      #262651 - 05/10/06 09:08 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Thanks for the link! Very important info about RA. I found really good info on lupus at that site as well.

So your medications haven't started working yet? Enbrel takes a few weeks, right? How many mg of Plaquenil are you on right now?

Re: Rachel new
      #262664 - 05/10/06 10:08 AM
michele

It actually started about a year ago but I blamed it on the fertility drugs. Its gotten WAY worse since losing the twins. Hormones can bring RA out of a remission as can stress, among other things. But, being pregnant with twins, then losing them set this flare up into overdrive. I laid in bed as soon as I got home last night and just cried because the pain in my knees was so bad. I figured out what it was from though. I sat at my desk and did some of my beading and had my feet on the rollers under the chair. I think I stayed in that position for about 2 hours and that caused my knees to blow up with swelling. My hands, wrists, ankles and hips are usually the worse but now I can add knees to the list.

--------------------

Re: diet to help? new
      #262665 - 05/10/06 10:09 AM
michele

What kind of arthritis does your mom have? I find if I eat too much sugars and starches it bothers the fibro but haven't found foods to affect the RA yet.

--------------------

Re: Maria new
      #262675 - 05/10/06 10:50 AM
michele

I can't remember the milligrams on the placquenil but I take it twice a day. Can't say if its really helping any but I don't seem to have any side effects from it so I continue to take it. I'll do my third shot of Enbrel tomorrow. Some people notice improvement after the 4th shot and they shots are twice weekly so maybe in another week or two, I'll get some relief!

--------------------

Re: Michele new
      #262686 - 05/10/06 11:29 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I hope you keep us updated on how the Enbrel works out for you. I've been reading up on it and it sounds like a really promising treatment for RA. I also heard that they may be coming out with a once a week, 50 mg, injection.

I'm currently on 200 mg of Plaquenil (week 5) and next week start taking 400mg (200 twice a day). I haven't experienced any side effects, except for some mild nausea the first week (but I got relief by drinking Stash Lemon Ginger tea, which Bevvy recommended). Last week people started telling me that I was looking better and that my skin was smoother. And you know what? My skin does look better - not as rashy or bumpy. All these years, I just thought it was mild acne or dermatitis/allergies, but now I think it must have been just another symptom of lupus. The one area that's still really bad are my toes - swollen and crooked. It's weird because I never thought much about them, but now when they swell up I walk with a slight limp. Does this happen to you too with your RA?

Re: Maria
      #262697 - 05/10/06 12:08 PM
michele

Yep, its the 200mg placquenil I'm on, twice a day. I also had a bit of nausea and a slight headache the first week but thats since gone away. Yes, my toes do swell up, my second biggest toe is actually curling under, like its being contracted. I'm sure to stretch them everyday. I have visual swelling in my hands, wrists, knees, ankles and toes. I have costochondritis, which is swelling of the cartilage in the chest but its not visible and I my hips also really hurt but its hard to tell if there is any visual swelling there as I'm not the skinniest chick in the hen house! I most definitely walk like an old lady and forget getting up and down from the floor.

Thats wonderful that your skin is looking/feeling better!! Maybe it won't take as long to help the lupus as it does the RA? Maybe you're just going to respond better to it than I am. Enbrel is actually available in 50mg doses now and some people even do 50mg twice a week. I think my rheumy wanted me to start on the lower dose for a month to see if I have any side effects first. I see him again in 3 weeks so we will reevaluate my dose then. I don't mind the shots too much, small price to pay if the stuff works!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1398 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3169

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review