All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Wedding Shower
      #262347 - 05/08/06 05:08 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I got spoiled yesterday!! Wow!! My fiance's aunts hosted a bridal shower for me!! And the stuff I got from everyone is overwhelming!! A digital camera, new dish sets, towels, kitchen gadgets, just so much stuff! It took me 2 1/2 hours to open gifts!! There were 21 guests. It was a wonderful afternoon. The hall even made special sandwiches up for me - white bread, no butter, mustard and roast turkey. Perfect!! Although, I did miss out on the dessert table
It was all gone by the time I went up to get something! Not that there was a lot I could have anyways.

On the wedding plans. My dad just called. He is now coming to give me away (and I can't stop crying when I think about it). I'm kinda scared he will start a huge fight with my mom. (divorce is just a year old) I'm happy he is giving me away, and nervous now too! My tummy is talking up a storm!! DARN NERVES!!!!!!! Anyways. Dad won't stay for the reception, but at least he gets to see me get married. Afterall, I am his only daughter and the only child who is marrying for life. My brother is divorced too. (This divorce thing better not be catching! I'm only getting married once!) Of all of my immediate family only my maternal grandparents are still married. 1 couple out of 4! Now it's up to me to continue! My grandparents have been married 56 years and they are my inspiration and Grandma is my best friend.

TTFN, gotta go, go, go!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Wedding Shower new
      #262373 - 05/08/06 08:18 PM
Becca LG

Reged: 04/07/06
Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Ooo, congrats on the pretty wedding shower!! Sounds exciting. Good luck with everything, since June is just around the corner. I hope your tummy stays in line for you.

(And I read your other post about celiac, I hope those tests all go well too).

Cheers,
Becca

--------------------
At least I've learned a lot about my
body...

IBS-A and still figuring things out

#262433 - 05/09/06 07:41 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

That's SUPER! I never got a shower. My friends weren't bright enough to think of it.

BUT-- Tommy's mom and sister gave me LOTS of cash and we all went on a shopping spree for me! It was SO FUN!

#262437 - 05/09/06 08:03 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Very cool!! Sounds like you got lots of loot!!!

I understand being nervouse about your parents getting along. At my first wedding, back in 1988, my dad showed up so drunk/high I had to walk him down the aisle! Haven't seen or talked to him since. I'm sure you're dad will be on his best behavior though!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: It's been my experience.... new
      #262535 - 05/09/06 01:27 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

that divorced parents behave really well for their children's weddings. Here are a few ideas (from a friend's wedding)

After your Dad walks you down the aisle, have him sit in a different pew than your Mom - my friend's Dad actually sat on the groom's side with his parents.
Have more than one parents table. My friends Dad had remarried, so they had a table for Dad and family, a table for Mom and family and a table for the Groom's family. It worked out really well.
For pictures, they arranged it so that they would be there at separate times.
It was shocking, but at the rehearsal dinner, the Mom and her sister sat with the new wife!!!!!! I was like , OMG how is that going to be? So I stood by the Mom for a while, and realized they were chatting away having a great time!
Really, hopefully your parents will put their differences aside and respect or at least come to a comprimise with your wishes. After all, it is your day!

Oh, and at my cousin's wedding, her parents were also recently divorced and the DJ requested a parent's dance! Shocker - they danced very civilly and it wasn't a problem. A bit awkward, but hey. For the sake of their daughter, they weren't willing to make a fuss.

Not telling you what to do, just some of my experiences.
Hugs, A.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#262563 - 05/09/06 06:26 PM
Toady

I know dad will be civil with my mom, but he won't tolerate my mom's bf. He was my dad's best friend for over 20 years. (Long story I don't wanna air out here either, sorry.) But dad will come, walk me down the aisle. I will arrange for him to sit with my nephew, a row behind my mom and grandparent. We are only having 20 guests so planning avoidance tactics is tricky!! He will leave after the ceremony, but at least he will come and give me away. For 3 months I was told he wasn't coming, AT ALL. And it really bothered me. I talked to my mom and she agreed to talk to her bf and ask him to not come to the ceremony and only to dinner. Then dad and he won't see each other and I won't need bouncers at my wedding. I know my grandma would never let them get in at each other at my wedding, but I don't need them tackling each other and rolling down the greens into the swan pool at the bottom (no swans in it though, maybe a duck will show up!) I would have had arranged seating if dad was staying at the dinner - as far apart as possible. And there is no dancing so there is no worry that he and mom would have had to dance either. We want a KISS wedding - Keep It Simple Stupid! ACK 24 days to go!

--------------------
Cassandra

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#262566 - 05/09/06 06:29 PM
Toady

Its too bad no one hosted you a shower! I didn't think I was getting one after my m-o-h dropped out. Even before she did she told me that she couldn't afford one and no one wanted to help her out so basically, screw you. (LIES, ALL LIES!!!! My mom-in-law offered her $$$, she refused them!!)
Anyways.
Every bride deserves a shower. But I am happy you got a shopping spree at least!!

--------------------
Cassandra

#262611 - 05/10/06 05:29 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I was very upset that my friends didn't have a shower for me. I think I'll always be dissapointed. I had been to theirs and just assumed that they'd do the same for me. Nope!

#262612 - 05/10/06 05:30 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Sounds like you've got things well thought out. Enjoy your day!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

we don't do showers...:( new
      #262636 - 05/10/06 07:36 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

..but I did get lots of naughty presents on my hen night...rude things!

The parents will behave just fine. My Dad is an alcholic and he was the perfect Dad on the wedding day. Hubby's parents are separated and his Dad is very odd about his Mom's bf but again they behaved really well, the bf kept a very very low profile (almost too low, he is her partner and they are together about 12 years!)

Lucky you getting a shower, poor Tina for not, sometimes you get blessed with very thoughtful friends, other times the exact opposite.

Have fun with the final planning and preparations.

--------------------
S.

We threw one in England once... new
      #262733 - 05/10/06 04:00 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

We had a Bath Shower in Bath for my best friend's wedding. She had two American bridesmaids so we thought it only fitting to import the tradition. We had tea, gave the bride bath themed presents, and everybody seemed to have a good time.

Great pun Jenny:) new
      #262772 - 05/11/06 01:32 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

bath Shower...I agree it is only fair that an American abroad should have one- as long as it's explained to the locals what to do so that they don't embarrass themselves by not bringing gifts etc. As you know we put our energy into our hen parties (bachelorettes)

In Cork, in the south and south west of Ireland they have a "Kitchen party" for the bride sometimes, it's an old tradition where all her female relatives get together for tea and cake and some wine and they all give her gifts for her kitchen, utensils etc, I had never heard of it until my friend's sister had one, and I only live 120 miles from her

--------------------
S.

Wedding Traditions new
      #262783 - 05/11/06 05:07 AM
Toady

I guess with such a universal board we all have different traditions! We have a few here, mostly family ones -
- the bride stays at her parents (or in my case grandparents) the night before the wedding.
-two cakes at the wedding - one fruit cake pre-cut and packaged to take home, and a decorated white cake
-wedding showers
-day after parties when the couple open their gifts with their families and wedding party
-shags - a bigggg drunk fest basically - to raise money for the couple (I didn't have a shag - I didn't want one)

What are your traditions?

--------------------
Cassandra

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3048 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1809

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review